Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gonthemicrobe
    • By gonthemicrobe 8th Jan 18, 10:20 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 26Thanks
    gonthemicrobe
    confusion over probation period
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:20 AM
    confusion over probation period 8th Jan 18 at 10:20 AM
    Hi all

Iíve been in my current job around 3 months and it hasnít quite worked out as planned. Whilst I enjoy parts of it the role in real life is quite different to what was advertised and Iíve made the decision to cut my losses and move elsewhere. I have been offered a start date of February 5th.

There is no mention on my contract of any probationary period nor has it been discussed by my employers. It simply says that from either end one months notice must be given. Iím happy to work this period but it seems odd to have no probation as someone could resign after one day then have to hang around for a whole month.

I donít expect my resignation to go down well so my biggest concern is that Iím told to go ASAP, leaving me out of pocket until February 5th. If the contract says it has to be one month surely I can hold them to this?
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 8th Jan 18, 10:45 AM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 7,852 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:45 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:45 AM
    If it is one month on both sides, it's one month.

Many employers don't have probationary periods, and given they can sack you for almost any reason in the first two years, they are a pointless exercise for many these days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,428Users online

Martin's Twitter