Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • madlyn
    • By madlyn 8th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 604Posts
    • 100Thanks
    madlyn
    Slow Cooker
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    Slow Cooker 8th Jan 18 at 9:39 AM
    Thinking of buying a slow cooker as we love a stew/casserole in our house in fact we had beef casserole Yesterday, but I cook it in the oven low and slow for around 4 hours.
    I had a slow cooker when I first moved into my house 10 years ago but I couldn't get on with it the meat was not very tender and I seemed to have too much gravy.
    I like the idea of putting the ingredients in and just leaving it to do it's thing.
Page 1
    • Well Preserved
    • By Well Preserved 8th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    Well Preserved
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    I wouldn!!!8217;t want to be without mine - actually I have two, one a small round one & an oval one which is better for Christmas puddings and cooking longer joints. You might pick up a bargain in the sales now, although I don!!!8217;t think they!!!8217;re expensive at any time of year unless you want something like a crockpot. You don!!!8217;t need to add much liquid as things cook in their own juices, though you could always thicken any extra gravy with cornflour & freeze for another day. It would probably be worth investing in a cooker book specifically for slow cooking to get you started.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 8th Jan 18, 9:49 AM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 7,340 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:49 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:49 AM
    If you are worried about the meat not being tender, try to get one with a removable bowl which you can use to brown the meat on the hob first. I have one of these & the meat is amazingly tender.

As above be careful of the amount of liquid you add or use.
    Does dim arian 'da fi, ond breuddwydion 'da fi.

Gwlad yr Ia & Columbia (no Welsh word for Columbia)
    • madlyn
    • By madlyn 8th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    • 604 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    madlyn
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    I used shin of beef in the casserole I did Yesterday, left it a 140 OC for about 4 hours and it just fell apart. so 6/8 hours in a slow cooker would give the same result but leaving it longer would not do it any harm?
    • SilverBird
    • By SilverBird 8th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 2,078 Thanks
    SilverBird
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    We have two slow cookers, of different sizes, and they produce very tasty meals with the minimum amount of preparation time. There are lots of recipes available online so it's easy to build a collection that works for you. Tomorrow we'll be having slow-cooked beef with chunky vegetables, with a thick slice of home-made bread to soak up the delicious gravy
    #Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain #We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us #If you focus on what you have left behind, you will never see what lies ahead - Gusteau/Ratatouille
    GC: May £124.89/£180 (£713.23/£2,160)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 20,184 Posts
    • 54,165 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    If you are worried about the meat not being tender, try to get one with a removable bowl which you can use to brown the meat on the hob first. I have one of these & the meat is amazingly tender.

As above be careful of the amount of liquid you add or use.
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    I've been using slow cookers for almost 45 years.
    My ex-MIL was given one by a rep when they first came out & passed it on to us.

I've never, ever browned any meat before putting it in & it's always been tender.
    I now have 2 (different sizes) and wouldn't be without them.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Jan 18, 7:09 AM
    • 20,184 Posts
    • 54,165 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:09 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:09 AM
    Another discussion whether a slow cooker is a good buy:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73344580&highlight=slow+cooker#po st73344580

Lots of recipes:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=1332010#post1332010

Long thread about slow cookers:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70580706&highlight=slow+cooker#po st70580706
    • madlyn
    • By madlyn 9th Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    • 604 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    madlyn
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    So would I be right in thinking that if a casserole takes 4 hrs in an oven double the time for a slow cooker and put less liquid in?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th Jan 18, 8:33 AM
    • 19,437 Posts
    • 45,095 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:33 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:33 AM
    I hated mine, everything came out tasting the same and watery, I now have an electric pressure cooker which beats a slow cooker by miles when is comes to flavour and texture.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Jan 18, 8:54 AM
    • 20,184 Posts
    • 54,165 Thanks
    Pollycat
    So would I be right in thinking that if a casserole takes 4 hrs in an oven double the time for a slow cooker and put less liquid in?
    Originally posted by madlyn
    TBH, I've never cooked a casserole for 4 hours in the oven.
    As for slow cooker timings, it depends what setting you put it on.
    Mine have low, medium & high settings and the timings obviously differ.
    It also depends what you put in it.
    I find root vegetables take longer to cook than meat.
    So if I'm doing a beef stew with potatoes, swede etc it will take longer than a beef stroganoff.
    I'd say 8 hours is about right for a root vegetables stew.

I toss my meat in seasoned flour before putting it in the pot to help thickening.
    I have to say that my old one cooked the best of the lot and I'm still on the lookout in charity shops & car boots for a replacement.

As you can see from the reply above mine, not everyone is a slow cooker fan.
    • madlyn
    • By madlyn 9th Jan 18, 9:16 AM
    • 604 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    madlyn
    Yes, I can see not everyone is a fan and as I have had a bad experience before perhaps I should stick to doing it the way I know." If it aint broke dont fix it"
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Jan 18, 9:44 AM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 29,656 Thanks
    suki1964
    I do have a slow cooker, I also have a slow cook function on my oven, yet my preferred way is stove top

I used to have the most marvellous cast iron pan which I used near daily for years, till the enamel started to disintegrate. I was/am looking to replace it but in the mean time I dug out a stainless steal deep saut! pan with lid and use that Having an induction hob means you can cook really low and slow and being stove top, there's no lifting of heavy pots to check the contents. I use it for everything, from curries, through to beef stew and dumplings. I only use the slow cooker for large joints like beef, whole chickens and lamb shanks

Gammon joints I still cook the old fashioned way, in the stock pot
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • lucyhope
    • By lucyhope 9th Jan 18, 9:56 AM
    • 380 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    lucyhope
    I hated mine, everything came out tasting the same and watery, I now have an electric pressure cooker which beats a slow cooker by miles when is comes to flavour and texture.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Me too peachyprice, I love it.
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 28 2010 total-£336
    2012 Banked 10/05 £410 07/10 £200 total £610
    2013 total £235 2014 total-£305
    2015 total £869
    2016 total £ 687
    2017 total £905
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Jan 18, 10:14 AM
    • 20,184 Posts
    • 54,165 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Yes, I can see not everyone is a fan and as I have had a bad experience before perhaps I should stick to doing it the way I know." If it aint broke dont fix it"
    Originally posted by madlyn
    Exactly.
    If you're happy with the taste of oven cooked casseroles and there's no danger of you being late home and it spoiling, why consider spending money on an alternative method?

I wouldn't have thought a long, slow casserole would need much attention anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter