Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sam_carvel
    • By Sam_carvel 8th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sam_carvel
    Dealing with utilities debt after wife's death. HELP!!
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    Dealing with utilities debt after wife's death. HELP!! 8th Jan 18 at 9:09 AM
    I am writing this on behalf of my brother, he recently lost his wife. He isn't dealing with anything so I am trying to help him out as much as I can. My SIL has been hiding alot of debt from my brother and now that she has passed we are dealing with it. I have been trying to read up online about as much as I can but in regards to energy debts what happens? She has a huge debt with them. I have read that the debt would be transferred to us as we are still living here (for the moment) but I have also read that it can be written off although the energy companies will try to 'scare' you to pay it. Just want to know as much information before making the calls. Such a stressful time and want it to be easy as possible for my brother and my nephew & niece. Thank you for any advice/help
Page 2
    • sleepless saver
    • By sleepless saver 9th Jan 18, 8:45 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 2,411 Thanks
    sleepless saver
    I'm so confused I've read citizens advice but also other websites like british gas (who it is with) says they close the account and open another?!?!? What to know where we stand before phoning. It's being going on for a few years they live in such an old building and hearing it costs a fortune with storage heaters and electric heaters. He never opened the mail they have separate accounts she paid so much of the bills,was suppose to, and he paid the majority of things . That's why he knew nothing of this and her credit card.
    Originally posted by Sam_carvel
    As suggested above, he should contact https://www.nationaldebtline.org for advice before speaking to creditors. They can explain where he stands and what the options are.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    • 32,192 Posts
    • 19,351 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I'm so confused I've read citizens advice but also other websites like british gas (who it is with) says they close the account and open another?!?!? What to know where we stand before phoning. It's being going on for a few years they live in such an old building and hearing it costs a fortune with storage heaters and electric heaters. He never opened the mail they have separate accounts she paid so much of the bills,was suppose to, and he paid the majority of things . That's why he knew nothing of this and her credit card.
    Originally posted by Sam_carvel
    I think it is probably going to be a good idea to get the account closed and a new one started anyway to make sure the old account is ring fenced and BG will(they know they do) have to wait for any administrator to take up the problem which will buy some time to research properly any liability.

It is looking like the place is not suitable anyway so probably best to focus on future accommodation options.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 10th Jan 18, 10:39 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Raxiel
    If he is responsible for the debt, the next step is making sure it's actually correct. Check recent bills to see if they are estimated or actual readings, take actual readings to compare them to what's billed, then submit them for a corrected bill. (I still think opening a new account in his name is the right thing to do but that would need up to date readings too)

How did the debt get so big? If the energy company are partially responsible because it hasn't issued a bill in over a year it may be possible to get some of it written off under the 'back billing' principle.

I'd suggest starting a thread on the energy board for advice. Ideally they want to set up a payment plan for any monies owing, and not pre-payment meters which will increase the cost of energy used until the debt is cleared.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 10th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 4,252 Posts
    • 3,471 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    If he is responsible for the debt, the next step is making sure it's actually correct. Check recent bills to see if they are estimated or actual readings, take actual readings to compare them to what's billed, then submit them for a corrected bill. (I still think opening a new account in his name is the right thing to do but that would need up to date readings too)

How did the debt get so big? If the energy company are partially responsible because it hasn't issued a bill in over a year it may be possible to get some of it written off under the 'back billing' principle.

I'd suggest starting a thread on the energy board for advice. Ideally they want to set up a payment plan for any monies owing, and not pre-payment meters which will increase the cost of energy used until the debt is cleared.
    Originally posted by Raxiel
    It seems there is a credit card debt and the energy debt. The OP needs to give mor einformation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

275Posts Today

3,863Users online

Martin's Twitter