Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th Jan 18, 7:32 AM
    • 6,857Posts
    • 40,187Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:32 AM
    What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18 8th Jan 18 at 7:32 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
Page 6
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 13th Jan 18, 1:51 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    Hi FatvonD... Well done for talking yourself out of the takeaway
    I am currently sat in the bank drinking their free tea and water while they try to fix the coin machine I might have broken by putting a old 5 coin into it! Whoops! I do a mixture of a1rbnb and private rental for students etc, depending on whether longer or shorter lets suit our personal circumstances at the time. I've been doing it for about 5 years now, with some breaks. It's saved us from dire financial straights at times!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th Jan 18, 4:28 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 21,169 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Greetings my chilly little January Savers,
    No list today so will tell you about our city centre trip. You see, pre-LBM, such a trip would have been one big Spend-fest with frequent stops for breakfast, lunch, etc, much flashing of those naughty CCs & using of overdrafts. We are sooooo much more sensible now: Parked at cheapest car park, had coffees but paid using our Personal Spends, used vouchers to half the cost of new undies & a shirt in M&S (mr f had his eye on that shirt before Christmas but didn't buy it & today he found it on the sale rail for £7), took cash from Savings Piggies to cover specific purchases. Found a fab present for next Christmas for a good friend which she will love....£12 reduced to £3. Treated myself to some new make-up & lovely new make-up bag (half-price) from my Christmas money. I suppose what I'm saying is that everything was paid for using the appropriate budgets & at best prices, rather than how we used to be, which was buying it with never a thought as to if the money was in the bank....which it usually wasn't!
    Other good things: mr f found some geeky dvd he wanted 2nd hand in CEX for £2. I tried on a dress in 'Monsoon' - only £17 in the sale & was amazed I managed to squeeze into a 16 with the weight that's gone on since September. I didn't buy it though. I liked it, but didn't love it. And the tight bit over the tummy isn't going to improve till I have my op so £17 saved. More money saved by taking a packed lunch to avoid caving in to paninis & chips. Called into Sainsburys on way home....had a £6 off voucher. Shopped to list, adding up as we went along & used the £6 to buy 2 lots of meat for the freezer. Stocked up dry goods for my big kitchen jars....lentils, bulghur, chickpeas, which will provide lots of meals.
    So all in all, a good shopping trip. I haven't blown any budgets & I still have a little Christmas money left.
    Fancied another coffee while in Sainsbury's but had a word with ourselves, managed a caffiene-less 14 mile drive home & put the kettle on.
    Have a peaceful evening all......or a fine wild time if you're going out.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £800-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £259
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th Jan 18, 4:34 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 21,169 Thanks
    foxgloves
    CLF - I can't really advise re onion sets. I've never tried planting them this time of year. I've planted Japanese onions in Autumn & successfully overwintered them. Usually we wouldn't sow our onion sets until Spring. The only stuff I usually sow in Jan is broad beans - end of Jan.in unheated greenhouse, and chillies....heated propagator indoors.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £800-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £259
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 13th Jan 18, 6:36 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    Foxgloves, thanks for sharing your day. I had a city centre trip too today, and kept the faith!
    After getting my 5 coin returned (there were three in there, so at least one other must have done the same as me at some point and not hung around to retrieve it!) I used the machine to put 49p in very small change in from my pockets, purse. It gave me disproportionate satisfaction that it was easy to do this and I'll probably try to bring a handful from the coppers pot in next time I come to town too! Went to the library, prompted by a poster earlier in the week - thank you- but had forgotten the card, so just had a good mooch around. Discovered a couple of free events I'd like to go to over the next month though, live streams of events at the British library. Then I joined a genuinely free (rather than a pay by tips) walking tour. I resolved to try to find out more about my city this year. It was just four of us plus the guide, very sociable and a interesting 90 minutes looking at places I pass regularly through new eyes. Added a few steps onto the day too! Will definitely do this again - they run about 20 different ones through the year. Got a bit nippy and drizzly toward the end. Had a mooch around Waterstones it didn't find the thing I wanted for my Xmas voucher, and resisted buying a not quite right thing too. Made my way to John Lewis and used my voucher for coffee and cake. A guy was also doing the same thing for the first time just ahead of me in the queue and we both thought it was a fab deal. The assistant was saying you can get the vouchers on the app so don't have to worry about having them with you. Sounds like that would suit me, I usually forget to use them! There's a great view from our JL cafe, I'll def do that again - can't believe I've not bothered before! Read my kindle book and genuinely enjoyed being there.
    Went on to a shop that was closing down. Took a bit of finding it as it had moved premises since last time I went, two years ago. I had a voucher from then that didn't have a expiry date on. Plucked up courage to enquire if it was still valid (I nearly didn't... I wonder why money things make me nervous, I'm usually very confident with people!)... I don't think it was really but they delighted me by saying they would take it anyway. With everything down by 35% I came away with a lovely solid 3 pan steamer set for peanuts really. The excessive packaging can be reused to do about 5 bin bags Then to A1di and topped up on cleaning and groceries, got everything we will need for next wkd except fruit, plus all the guests stuff. Now snuggled up on the sofa with a cuppa waiting for guests to cook their dinner (mine will pop in the oven easily at the same time, it's lefyobes
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 13th Jan 18, 6:38 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    × leftovers from earlier in the week!

Thanks for collectively inspiring me that saving money doesn't have to mean staying in and hibernating!
    • vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 13th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    vickthestick
    1SmallStep the heating is *fingers crossed absolutely fine just now. DH, bless him replaced a couple of olives and it seems to still be going. For now...

Took No 5 Daughter to Hobbycraft to spend her Christmas tokens and picked up some bargainous items that she is very pleased with Nice Mummy Daughter time
    Womble #9 2018 £0 / Roadkill £0
    Loan £175.40 /month until October 2018 Loan £312.21 /month until April 2025
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 13th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 5,165 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Hi,

I went to Nespres the coffee shop for a free coffee rather than paying for one. I own a machine, and I am a member and do buy their pods, but decided today to have one without buying any pods.

I have also started basket shopping too. If I can't carry it in the basket, I can't have it. It saves me a minimum of £15 per shopping trip.

Thanks,
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 13th May 2018
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Tesco Loan £7500 = £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £13,855 Total = £25,330 £13,855 43% gone EMF #252 = £700/£1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #71
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 4,149 Posts
    • 26,597 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi January Joy-Seekers,

Can I re-join you?

Just a quick post:

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Check online banking.

* Keeping an eye on Broadband Allowance.

* Bulb has blown in sitting room. It's a three bulb fitting. Am not going to replace the bulb.

* Deep cleaned own kitchen instead of paying someone to do it for us.

* Make own smoothie instead of buying in supermarket.

Onwards and upwards.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £50

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 103.49 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th Jan 18, 9:56 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 7,686 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    FVD, re bullet journal, mine definitely can't be called beautiful!! Some of the ones I've seen on youtube/pintrest look amazing but I don't have a arty/crafty/pretty bone in my body!!

Lovely to "see" you back on the board Ally

Todays list from me
    Ordered a library book, can collect tomorrow, I love our library as its saved us lots of money over the last few years
    Took ds1 to buy his new mobile, we bought it using discounted love2shop thing my sis had via work, saved 7.5% which was good. He's saved his Xmas money and pocket money, we have bought him a case and screen protector from amzon using survey vouchers so no effect on bank balance.
    Ds2 bought a preowned game saving £24 on what he'd planned spending.
    All meals at home including a big family roast as my parents are going on holiday so we decided to have our Sunday lunch today instead!
    Lots of list making as I need to achieve lots in the next couple of weeks. I do love a good list!

My frugal start to the year hasn't got off to a good start with dh's car tyres which were far more expensive then I'd expected and the freezer breaking etc. I had a food delivery booked for tomorrow (mainly as I needed bread rolls for the families lunches for the week) but I've cancelled that as the book i'd ordered is available for me to collect tomorrow (closed Monday) so we'll go to the library and pop into the co0p for the bread and then I'll stretch our food out for a few more days before getting the delivery.

Not much else that I can think of.

Have a lovely weekend all

Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 14th Jan 18, 6:37 AM
    • 4,149 Posts
    • 26,597 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi January Joy-Seekers,

Morning all. It's a beautiful new morning (albeit it cold and wet) and I am full of enthusiasm for money-saving this morning.

It's lovely to be back. As some of you will know I work in a crazy-busy place. This is me just having a chance to get back to normal after crazy-busy season.

We've saved a bucket by living in a wee town centre. DW and I can walk everywhere and, since Oct, DW has mainly done all our shopping locally and on foot. This has been good for our health.

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Checked online banking. We got through Decemberfest solvent! Not surprising really, I was too busy to spend much. Though I did buy a camera-ma-bob-doo-dah for beloved DW.

* Do the sums in readiness for doing DW's tax return. Her business returned a profit.

* Checked DW's online banking. I long ago gave up letting her do this herself. She's got a great DFW-style ethos, but maths isn't her strong point. Me controlling the online logins makes for fewer incidents.

* Withdrew £4.99 from TopCashback, earned when buying DW's

camera-ma-bob-doo-dah.

* Today begins my Bold Bicycle Bonanza 2018 challenge. I'm trying to use the car as little as possible and this year I want to use a bicycle for leisure. I've joined Bike & Go (Link). The idea is that I will occasionally rent a bike from a hub at the station round the corner and if it goes well I will consider buying one. At £3.80 per day that's affordable. The yearly subscription is £10. You can rent two bikes at a time on that subscription so DW can participate if she's feels inclined. I'm going to need to source a cheap helmet, though. We live on a long-distance cycle route which is also a bonus and there's a nice flat promenade too. Now don't be thinking I'm some kinda Lance Armstrong. I'm actually kinda hopeless at cycling. Think Wobbly Gnome on Wheels. But I enjoy a challenge. If I get good at it I could consider cycling to and from work, but I'm not good enough for that yet. It's a 20 mile round trip. And you can take bicycles on the local ferry for free.

* Bank card is expiring. Need to update new details in cyberspace.

* Clear out wallet. Full of Smurf.

* Checked credit card balance has remained at £0 and that nothing had crept in there unwanted.

* Checked loyalty card points.

* Cleared my emails. Also full of Smurf.

* Create a passport photo for DW online and send off for processing. Much cheaper than using a photo booth.

Onwards and upwards.
    Last edited by allydowd; 14-01-2018 at 7:59 AM.

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 14th Jan 18, 9:02 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    vickthestick
    Morning all, this is the third time I have tried to post this morning,
    My 'puter is playing silly beggars methinks.
    Today:
    - Church for me and the Smalls where they eat their body weight in juice and biscuits
    - Dance for No 3 daughter and DH - costs a fortune in fees and diesel but she loves it
    - Wee nip into L1dl and or A1di - they are right next door - to get milk and bread and chicken for tea
    - Sunday afternoon baking I think whilst No 5 daughter does her cross stitch that she picked up at Hobbycraft yesterday
    - No 5 daughter to Gangshow rehearsals 4-6pm
    - Chicken for tea
    - More YNAB messing about and fixing
    - More ogling over bullet journals online

And then get everyone ready for school tomorrow before settling down to watch Mc!!!!! which I am loving!
    Have a lovely lazy day everyone x
    Womble #9 2018 £0 / Roadkill £0
    Loan £175.40 /month until October 2018 Loan £312.21 /month until April 2025
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 14th Jan 18, 9:23 AM
    • 832 Posts
    • 7,686 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Good morning all,

Todays list from me (some might move into the week depending on what dh wants to do later)
    Get dh to be cancelling his mobile phone contract and order a sim only deal else where, this will save £4 a month but gives far more freedom as its only a 30 day contract well after more then an hour online chat, he's got a new deal saving £3/month but with the faff he said! I've looked at my useage and have reduced my sim only from £8 to £5 month so another £3 saved
    Check off mr t cc (always paid off in full, only used to maximise points/rewards)
    All meals from stores
    Make families lunches for school/work tomorrow and plan out their snacks so that I can put off shopping as long as possible!
    Pick up library book I'd ordered (this might be put off until later in the week)
    Washing on the radiators as the heating is on anyway
    Dishwasher to run on the quick wash
    Washing machine on the quick 30 degree wash

That doesn't seem much hmmm hopefully I'll be back adding more.

Have a nice Sunday all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 14-01-2018 at 3:13 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 14th Jan 18, 10:00 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    AllyD. Welcome back! I missed your lists and reminders and will be wobbling along with you as I'm also trying to cycle more to work, and have a similarish distance 15m, but only once a week. For now, am interested in ability to do a pp photo online, can you explain? Thx x
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 14th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 859 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    fatrab
    Well, end of week 2 and I'm pleased to report a food waste of £0.00! Not a single thing wasted.

Went shopping this morning and have bought just enough to get me through the next 4 days.

Looking forward to next week's small money saving thread.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
    You can have results or excuses, but not both - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    June's targets - Be 15st by end of month, 19/30 AFDs
    39 x £2 coins (#32)
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 14th Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    • 6,857 Posts
    • 40,187 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning Hi ally nice to see you back and glad things have settled down with you

We were supposed to be going roller skating this morning but both oh and are were feeling a little fragile - my girls night was super fun, lots of belly laughter going on

Today though - going to put my washing out on the line

think we'll probably take madam for a walk/to the park/continue baking/do art to keep her entertained

dinner is lo turkey in gravy from xmas, with hm veg and mash - will make enough for a couple more meals and freeze

house is pretty spick and span so just a small wipe round to stay on top

plan out what I need to do next week - family/work/self and slot it in my diary

go through fridge and make sure nothing is going to expire - very full fridge and this is when it's a danger!

portion up and freeze batch cooked spag yesterday 4 meals stashed away also froze chickpeas cooked yesterday as currently a lot of los to eat up!

get bags clothes lunches ready for tomorrow

Do a little on my tax return just need to do a couple of bits now. One I can't do until tomorrow

read my book/knit relax this evening

ok that'll do Have a great day guys

1SmallStep your day yesterday sounded blissful!
    Last edited by determined new ms; 14-01-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 14th Jan 18, 11:06 AM
    • 525 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Foxgloves and Smallstep- I loved hearing about your city centre trips and how you can keep the money saving faith while still having a good time.
    Ally-great to see you posting again
    FVD- I have a couple of bullet point journals, nothing fancy or anything, just some doodling and usually some extra notes around the bullet points........usually bec I am shocking at remembering stuff but there is a certain sense of satisfaction seeing it written down.
    Bagpuss- ur cats def have expensive tastes. With my 6 furballs I would have been have been bankrupt by now. Have to have mine on kitekat otherwise it doesnt keep the ginger tom full and Ive been woken up at 4am several times before now when he has decided that the rest of the house needs to get up. Sounds like a baby but with kitekat he sleeps thru!!!!

DD is now back at uni.
    managed to have a much needed lie in
    Quiet day planned today. Aching abit as did a training session last night so will continue to clean and sort out the kitchen. Def a NSD
    DD cat is still refusing to come out from underneath the bed. Need to pack some more things away underneath the bed so cat will have to see me.
    Have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 14th Jan 18, 11:29 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    Morning all. Having a slow (and slouthy) start to the day as I had a really bad nights sleep, and lost quite a bit of momentum yesterday - though my relaxing day was probably good for me, it leaves me in need of running a tighter ship today! So enlisting a bit of help keeping me to the list today.
    • Change the bedrooms - deep clean and bedding. WM is on already with first of 3? loads
    • Ironing mountain - would be awesome if this ended the weekend downgraded to a hill
    • Report 1 (Rsk)
    • Report 2 (Rtn)
    • Report 3 (Ltr)
    • Prep for presentation on Tuesday
    • Pack so this time I don't forget any essentials that I then have to buy at the station!
    • Hair and manicure at home
    • BLD from stores. Made DDs favourite last night when the oven was on anyway. Just about to freezer dive for lunch!
    • Book travel for next few days
    • Online banking - check login details work for account I don't use often
    • Do expenses
    • List house on holiday site
    • Repair a couple of clothes
    • Evening off with DD. Going to see if it will work for her to tag onto one of my work trips with me. I'd pay obviously, but its somewhere shes always wanted to visit and they want me to spend 2 days travelling for a halfday meeting, so it would be good to extend it by a day or so if I can!
    • Walk - steps target
    • Sort out dates with a few friends to make best use of petrol
    • Have deep cleaned washing machine and dishwasher today with descaler patch
      [*}Do online tasks and load vouchers onto things
    • About to deblock shower tray. yuk.
    Good luck with all of your own lists folks!
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 14th Jan 18, 12:41 PM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 20,652 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Afternoon all!

First of two days off and then back to work, I really need to tell them that, while I'm happy to do one extra day to help out, two extra days is too much.

Today is going to be all about sorting the house out. I need to:

Remove whatever offending object stopped my recycling bin from being collected. It's been emptied, I think the last lot were just trying to finish their shift quicker as it was a non regular day on account of Christmas

Same for next doors bin which I have also been using while it was vacant but has now been let, oops Ditto

Take out some rubbish and swap bins round for this weeks collection. Ive got my weeks mixed up but not much rubbish anyway, mostly cat litter.

Load the dishwasher.Done

Laundry washing.First load in

Clean out the car and bring in cat food I couldn't carry the other day, they got a tin of tuna this morning #happycats Done

I will cook a roast today.To do

Attempt a no spend day. Failed, I bought tex me X dips to go on top of cheesy nachos

Decorate two batches of cards for sending off to Amazon. To do

20% water change on the fish tank Done

General cleaning/tidying/hoovering To do
    Last edited by FatVonD; 14-01-2018 at 4:08 PM.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 14th Jan 18, 12:46 PM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 20,652 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Ally, I tried sending a home photo that I'd cropped to the correct size for DS's passport but it was rejected, somehow they *know*.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 14th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 4,149 Posts
    • 26,597 Thanks
    allydowd
    For now, am interested in ability to do a pp photo online, can you explain? Thx x
    Originally posted by 1SmallStep
    Google "photobox passport photos". £3 a go.

Or read this (Link). You can generate your own photo and then just send it off for online processing at about 20p per print.
    Last edited by allydowd; 14-01-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

381Posts Today

4,414Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin