Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th Jan 18, 7:32 AM
    • 6,860Posts
    • 40,218Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:32 AM
    What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18 8th Jan 18 at 7:32 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
Page 5
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 12th Jan 18, 12:29 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    Hi all!
    Not quite a NSD today, but can claim back most spends.
    Taxi to station (running late and in pain) can claim for that
    boss bought the cuppas on the way
    Painkillers at station and 1.45 on chocolate
    Dinner out but can claim for it. Was a bit of a kerfuffle with the bill, I swapped tables when my dinner arrived as it was so dark on the table I was on that I couldn't really see the food! At the end they overcharged me and couldn't do the card refund, so gave me cash back. In the
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 12th Jan 18, 12:32 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    ... settling up a hazelnut hot chocolate I'd had got left off the bill completely which I didn't notice until I got back at the hotel, so too late!
    Did my manicure very badly at the hotel but hey! It will do. Have all my device last charging now and am looking forward to a hot bath in the morning!

Managed a bit of bnb admin. All little steps!
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Jan 18, 6:46 AM
    • 6,860 Posts
    • 40,218 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning :-) whoop last working day of the week and to be honest after my boss called me yesterday and said something along the lines of "can you call your new boss and get her to hurry up we want to get on with recruiting for the role" I'm less than enthusiastic this morning! I feel a dose of karma coming for them today (i.e I don't think I'm going to be motivated to do anymore than the bare minimum)

Small things:

* do a load of washing & hang up
    * take lunch & fruit with me
    * NSD - can I do it???
    * do some hw/tidying tonight as have guests tomorrow evening and a busy day
    * get pizza base sauce out of freezer
    * madam has a play date after school - handily I really like the mum so will be snacks & fruit juice, coffee & nattering - all free

Ok actually I'd better go then....

Have a great day x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 12th Jan 18, 7:27 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    vickthestick
    Morning, morning, morning,
    Thank goodness it's the end of the week. The first week back at school has been a bit of a shocker for us all! Busy weekend of dancing and gangshow rehearsals coming up mind!
    Today:
    - it's Cake Club at work today and it's my friend's turn to bake. She is amazing at chocolate brownies so here's hoping
    - eat more free crackers with leftover Christmas cheese for lunch
    - check bank and do some more YNAB working out - it's not the easiest thing to use when you are working in deficit
    - chill in front of Netflix tonight because there is nothing I need to take the Smalls to

Have a great day everyone.
    Womble #9 2018 £0 / Roadkill £0
    Loan £175.40 /month until October 2018 Loan £312.21 /month until April 2025
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Jan 18, 7:32 AM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 14,887 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning Iím wfh today so will be able to get lots done hopefully (both work and Home)

List includes:
    Check banking (looking bleak this monthdue to DH shopping job, but weíll survive) Iíve already moved a chunk to savings, I can always borrow a bit back if I need to
    Small shop later, will double up with taking some returns back meaning I can get free parking, need to get food bags to finish portioning out the chicken from the muscle f00d order that come yesterday. Will stash in freezer and update inventory
    Chickpeas currently cooking on stove, have set timer so it switches off automatically, so I donít waste any electric
    Washing on, will go on radiators later. Iím home alone all day, so Iíll have a blanket
    Cut up Ďhealthyí pear and hazelnut brownies I made yesterday and freeze half. Used up some coconut oil that had been lurking in my cupboard for ages and left over Christmas chocolate
    Do DH tax return, hope his password is saved on the computer
    Call tax office about mine
    Make another blood donation appointment
    Call electrician about a job we need doing

Right, will check back later. Enjoy your day. Purps.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Jan 18, 8:55 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 39,934 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    4 year old GD is coming to play with grandma today, so a limited list
    Washed hair and allowed to dry naturally
    Need to portion up and freeze the lamb DD got us from the farm shop yesterday, also some pheasants that one of OH's friends brought round yesterday - this will require some serious tetris skills
    Dog will need walking
    All meals from stores
    Load of washing
    Won't be a NSD as GD wants to buy a dark blue crayon
    Hope everyone has a good day
    NSDs for June 10 / 10
    Groceries / cleaning / toiletries / pet food etc £236.60 / £250
    Fuel 127.22 / £100

• Bagpuss741
    • By Bagpuss741 12th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 8,763 Thanks
    Bagpuss741
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. NSD
    3. Meals from stores
    4. Home physio exercises
    5. Read magazine
    6. Watch netflix
    7. Surveys & Bzzagent
    8. Enter Competitions

Sorry really rubbish lists from me lately but I'm still in my knee brace and can't physically do anything for myself
    Post Office £0Capital One £0Tesco £1400As of 09/01/18
    One debt to go
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 12th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 20,652 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I didn't even know you could buy single crayons!

I am back in the land of the living today, I didn't get to sleep until about 5am after so much 'ill' sleep yesterday but feel refreshed and my ADs are kicking in now

I'm going to jump in the bath in a minute as I want to pop into a local cooperative market this morning that I either want to get involved in or recreate in my own town. If I'm early enough I also want to pop some cheese into the local dog rescue, I usually leave it in their post box on my way home but I'm hoping for a bit of dog stroking!

Work starts at 1pm today, it's the shift everyone else hates but I quite like it now I've got a system in place to finish everything in the allotted time. If I get involved in the Friday market I will need to request this shift every Friday.

Ingredients for lunch are already at work so I will prepare there and use their tea bags. I have however got into the habit of having a hot chocolate in the cafe on my break which is a costly treat but so much more relaxing than the staff room and the toilets are nicer so I'm allowing myself it on late shifts only.

I'm not sure what to do for dinner tonight, maybe anchovy spaghetti, I have everything in for that.

Have a good day everyone
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 12th Jan 18, 10:31 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    Morning all,

Hope you all have a very good day today.

Lists have been quite dull lately but lots going on with our flat move - managed to pack most of it last night before I go back to work for the week.

Not a NSD for me today unfortunately as having my hair chopped - been a long time though so well overdue!

Today I have/will:
    *check accounts done
    *free hot drink in town
    *download some Netflix documentaries for travel done
    *couple more boxes packed for the move

Have a great day,
    US
    Emergencies account: £500/500
    Groceries Feb 2018: EUR74.52/150 NSD Feb 2018: 1/8
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Jan 18, 12:46 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 39,934 Thanks
    DawnW
    I didn't even know you could buy single crayons!
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    You can't, but GD didn't know that. We bought a pack but made sure there was a dark blue one inside before we bought
    NSDs for June 10 / 10
    Groceries / cleaning / toiletries / pet food etc £236.60 / £250
    Fuel 127.22 / £100

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 12th Jan 18, 4:02 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,117 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Afternoon everyone
    DD back off to uni, car packed to the brim with her stuff, bags of snacks, her Christmas presents and 18 toilet rolls
    It's hit me harder than her first going in Sept and her cat is refusing to come out from underneath the bed
    Have kept myself busy now I can move in the living room. have been moving some things about, giving it a good clean and packing up items for the charity shop.
    Just going to pack away some left over Christmas bits in a minute........abit late but couldn't get near the cupboard before for DD stuff!
    Banking checked first thing, direct debits all good.
    Went into town to do some chores, just about up to date now. Withdrew money out that I will need to pay for a rucksack tomorrow and stuck to the amount needed.
    Needed cat litter and bread-stuck to this.
    RM survey item posted.
    Much happier that I am back up to date with everything after the Christmas period. I am a creature of routine, I hate it when its thrown out.
    That's about it from me
    Have a great evening everyone
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 21,278 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Friday Frugalistas,
    A few small useful things today:
    *Cleaned house using minimal products & washable microfibre cloths. Mr f off today as is owed time so we shared the chores.
    *Filled in next week's meal plans in the meal planning section I made in my bullet diary.
    *Wrote shopping list including stuff to stock up larder.
    *Bake sourdough loaf & fed jar ready for next one.
    *Updated budgets.
    *Washed hair & let it dry naturally. I used to use the dryer at least 3 out of every 4 times I washed it so I must be saving a bit of electricity.
    *Paid the £140 Paypal money (from Ziffit & a few ebay sales) across to our re-started Loan Paydown Fund.
    *Paid another 3 x 50ps into my sealed pot.
    *Made 2 belated sparkley Christmas cards into gift tags.
    *Did 3 surveys & cashed in Ipsos for next £10 voucher.
    *Sorted voucher stash & added potentially useful ones to my purse for tomorrow's city centre trip.
    *Bagged up £6 of small change from the shrapnel box.
    *Re-filled all our tiny plastic containers with dried fruit for work snacks, etc.
    *Cast on 2nd sleeve. Will do that next.
    Wishing everyone a relaxing night.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £259
    • theroamingnomad
    • By theroamingnomad 12th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    theroamingnomad
    I gave up taking the train to work (saved £50 p/m) and got a reduction on my phone bill with O2 (saved £3p/m)

Debt-free by January 1st, 2019.
    £4905.87/£5124 - as of 24/03/18
    • Lottebear
    • By Lottebear 12th Jan 18, 7:30 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    Lottebear
    Evening,

Today I have

- Resisted getting a takeaway and cooked at home, therefore saved £20
    - Reserved some Argos clearance toys for collection tomorrow, for cupboard and stash in general as they are heavily reduced.
    - General house work
    - Entered a few comps, as I have had a good run recently so I it has inspired me.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Jan 18, 7:43 AM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 14,887 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Just checked back on yesterdayís list, some carry over

Other things today:
    Smalls to dancing, pay subs from Ďpotí
    Meals from stores, will take some hm burger buns out of freezer for burgers later
    DD birthday party, have done cheap party bigs with one element in for £1 which is much better than lots of tat that you think is cheap and adds up and will just end up in landfill
    Check banking, much better as Iíve had some money in I wasnít expecting. Also realised that DH money was for last month that he didnít get paid so not so bleak. However, intend to keep a tight reign as donít know how much DH will get for the next few weeks
    Worked out well save £26 a week by sending the smalls to childminder not after school club (itís only 1 night ) Need to email the Nursery about returning my deposit of £200
    Keep on top of washing, minimise ironing., I.e. none
    Decide whether to frog my completely finished jumper and use the wool to make the same pattern for one for each of the smalls as mine is just too big on me and I donít think Iíll ever wear it

Enjoy your day folks.
    • vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 13th Jan 18, 7:50 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    vickthestick
    I gave up taking the train to work (saved £50 p/m) and got a reduction on my phone bill with O2 (saved £3p/m)

Originally posted by theroamingnomad
    What's the plan for getting to work now? I've been reading Mr Money Mustache and he advocates cycling as your main means of transport, but you need to be living fairly close to do that!

Morning all,
    I would have liked a lie-in, but hey! Number 1 Son has decided otherwise
    Took my DH for a date last night - a Womble round Azda Was not successful on that front and it is 8 miles away which is why we don't generally shop there when MoreReasons is only 2, but it was successful in showing him that Azda is always cheaper than every other shop because of the Price Guarantee and less than half the price of Wait Rose, so hopefully it will get him thinking as he is the at-home dad and he does all the shopping/sitting in Wait Rose drinking 'free' coffee and reading magazines off the shelf!
    Today I will:
    - Have a go at this bullet journal thing and see what all the fuss is about
    - Check bank accounts
    - Watch another YNAB video and do some more budgetting
    - Use the YS soup and bread I got last night for lunch
    - Use the YS stir fry (10p) for tea

Have a good day everyone x
    Womble #9 2018 £0 / Roadkill £0
    Loan £175.40 /month until October 2018 Loan £312.21 /month until April 2025
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Jan 18, 8:16 AM
    • 6,860 Posts
    • 40,218 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning yippee it's the weekend, I have 3 days off and I gave my resignation yesterday. My boss agreed to reduce my notice period to 2 weeks so am now in negotiation with my new employer

Today:

* forgot to soak chickpeas last night so have boiled them for 2 mins and will leave to soak for 4 hours
    * got mince out of freezer to make a big batch of spag bol later
    * got turkey in gravy out of freezer for quick roast tomorrow
    * tidied up the bathroom & cleaned sink while I was up there
    * sitting & drinking final coffee of the morning before I start getting my self together - mmmm it's the small things isn't it?
    * checked banking & updated spending diary
    * emailed a friend youtube hacks on repairing zips ()

Still to do:

* go for a run - tis cold here again!
    * make said spag bol
    * make hummous, cucumber dip and cucumber/celery/carrot batons for when we have guests tonight
    * tidy up house for said guests - and also for our own enjoyment!
    * taking a friend to a dental appt later. Getting petrol & an hour to sit and knit
    * load of washing - get uniform done so I'm ahead of the game

Ok think that'll do! Have a lovely Saturday guys
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 13th Jan 18, 10:41 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    Morning all. I'm still trying to work out how to quote/edit when on the mobile site. Any suggestions?

I'm also still smiling DawnW at your GDs very sensible concept of buying colours individually. There are always one or two that run out first!

My house is full of paying guests today but they are all interesting so I guess I could view it as free entertainment/education!?

Have everything in they need but will need supplies for the chap arriving on Sunday. Will do this today as got to go to town to do a couple of jobs anyway, including paying some cash into bank. A rare occurrence! Will walk or cycle to town. I am trying to make cycling a more frequent choice Vick just to make it easier on the days I cycle to work! (which is none next week as I am away again).

Minimal washing here today too purple fairy but last night's is split 50/50 between line and airer, as it's blowy but a bit uncertain outside today. Ironing mountain could however do with a dent if I can find something good to watch later or if DM comes over. Today will be BLD from stores. We're out of spuds and spud related products but still have the pasta mountain so we won't be lacking in carbs. Aiming for a top up shop for guest today and then no food shopping until DD back next weekend, when I'll need fruit etc. Have already asked her what she fancies to have to go with pasta!!!
    It was a super long week this one that's just gone by, and a bit emotional too. I'm giving myself permission to go back to bed and read for a bit, before getting up and going to town by 1. I need a end point as otherwise I might slob all day
    and that would leave me feeling lower.

Vicki I'm going to have a go at the bullet journal too. I have a lot of books to recycle but like the idea of picking the components that seem to work for me. Let me know how it goes! And how is your heating?
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 13th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 20,652 Thanks
    FatVonD
    1smallstep, do you run a B&B or do you do airbnb?

Bullet journal peeps, how does a bullet journal differ from a list book? And do you all spend hours making them look beautiful like on Pinterest?

Staff shortages and lack of organisation on my part meant that I ended up being an hour late leaving work last night. I'm doing the same shift today so need to keep a closer eye on the clock to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I am going to pop into the dog rescue with the second bit of ID needed to sign up as a volunteer walker and then hopefully will do my first walk on Sunday. I'm not looking forward to the poo bag, I have owned a dog in the past but it was 30 years ago when the streets were still littered with dog carp

I won't have much opportunity for spending but I need tea bags for home and work (they do supply them but they're always running out), bin liners and I've decided to buy a tub of hot chocolate to keep in my locker to stop me going to the cafe. It's taken them 3 months to get me one so I may as well put it to good use

I might treat myself to saveloy and chips tonight if the chippie is still open on the way home, in fact I could buy the saveloy said at work and defrost some buns, I'll do that instead

Have a good day everyone!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • Bagpuss741
    • By Bagpuss741 13th Jan 18, 1:27 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 8,763 Thanks
    Bagpuss741
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. Mother took me to Waitrose to stock up on cat food as my little darlings will only eat gourmet perle and gourmet soup which is currently on offer plus the food is on the pick your own offers.
    3. Free latte in Waitrose
    4. Free newspaper in Waitrose
    5. Meals from stores
    6. Listen to podcasts
    7. Home physio exercises
    8. Surveys, consumer pulse and bzzagent
    Post Office £0Capital One £0Tesco £1400As of 09/01/18
    One debt to go
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,190Posts Today

8,743Users online

Martin's Twitter