Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AdviceSought
    • By AdviceSought 8th Jan 18, 5:26 AM
    • 189Posts
    • 18Thanks
    AdviceSought
    Short-term role at Asda, should I have been taxed?
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:26 AM
    Short-term role at Asda, should I have been taxed? 8th Jan 18 at 5:26 AM
    So, on my final shift the other night, I received my payslip for the first couple of weeks worth of shifts.

On the payslip it has "Taxable pay" as 683.09, with the following deductions:

N.I. A - 6.61
    Income Tax - 136.60

Given I came into this role after a period of unemployment, this seems odd to me.
Page 1
    • hcb42
    • By hcb42 8th Jan 18, 5:32 AM
    • 5,806 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    hcb42
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:32 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:32 AM
    did you hand in a p45 in time?

if you have been taxed and don't owe it, then it will catch up and you will see it being returned once you do
    • AdviceSought
    • By AdviceSought 8th Jan 18, 5:36 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    AdviceSought
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:36 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:36 AM
    did you hand in a p45 in time?

if you have been taxed and don't owe it, then it will catch up and you will see it being returned once you do
    Originally posted by hcb42
    My P45 from my previous job was handed in on my induction day.
    • hcb42
    • By hcb42 8th Jan 18, 5:44 AM
    • 5,806 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    hcb42
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:44 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:44 AM
    have you spoken to payroll in that case?
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 8th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    chrisbur
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    Tax has been deducted at 20% so suggests either BR code or 0T.
    This suggests that your payroll dept has not received a P45 or new starter declaration allowing emergency tax to be used.

You say that " came into this role after a period of unemployment" and "My P45 from my previous job was handed in"
    Your P45 from your previous job should have been handed in to the jobcentre when you signed on and the jobcentre issues a P45 for your new employer.

In the first instance contact your payroll dept to see what they have ie old P45 ? Any new starter declaration if so which section did you fill in A B or C? Have you had a P45 yet from jobcentre?
    • AdviceSought
    • By AdviceSought 2nd Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    AdviceSought
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    So, Payroll have now advised me that I should contact HMRC to get this refunded.

Can anyone advise how long this should take?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 2nd Feb 18, 11:51 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:51 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:51 AM
    So, Payroll have now advised me that I should contact HMRC to get this refunded.

Can anyone advise how long this should take?
    Originally posted by AdviceSought
    Will happen automatically around May
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 2nd Feb 18, 12:00 PM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 2nd Feb 18, 12:00 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 12:00 PM
    Will happen automatically around May
    Originally posted by Comms69
    That's because they won't refund potentially over paid tax part way through the tax year. They can only do the calculation once all pay for the tax year has been received.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 2nd Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 2,946 Posts
    • 4,354 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 2nd Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    That's because they won't refund potentially over paid tax part way through the tax year. They can only do the calculation once all pay for the tax year has been received.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    My daughter got hers around September.

May be slightly different as she is a apprentice, so earning well below the tax level.

She was on a BR tax code for a few months, probably due to a mess up by the company, eventually (after much prompting, teenagers eh! ) she phoned the tax office and got it all sorted and it was repaid on a subsequent payslip.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 2nd Feb 18, 1:49 PM
    • 4,409 Posts
    • 4,916 Thanks
    robatwork
    Firstly you don't make it clear how much if any you have earned this year - if it's over 11500 then you should be paying tax.

As said earlier you are probably on a BR code which is 20% on ALL earnings - 20% of 683 is 136. This is an emergency code so your P45 info hasn't got through to your payroll yet or more likely HMRC have made a mistake.

Contact HMRC by calling or, if you have a govt gateway ID, go online and send them a query.

You will get the money back in your tax code if you are owed it, next tax year ie. after April.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 3rd Feb 18, 8:34 AM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    You will get the money back in your tax code if you are owed it, next tax year ie. after April.

This won't happen. You can get money back through your wages in the same tax year, as in RichardD1970's post, but not in a later tax year.

If you are no longer working or claiming Jobseekers Allowance or Employment Support Allowance then you can make a claim from HMRC once you get your P45 from Asda.

Exactly how and when you can get a refund is impossible to say though without more information about your circumstances.

You could have avoided the tax being deducted by making sure Asda used the emergency tax code which allows you to be paid nearly 1000/month with no tax.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 3rd Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 15,319 Posts
    • 131,118 Thanks
    zagubov
    I got a temporary promotion late in a tax year, and it resulted in accidental overpayment of tax. I didn't notice it and first I knew about it was when I got a letter from HMRC later on with a cheque for the repayment. First time I'd seen a cheque for years!
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

1,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin