Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 7th Jan 18, 11:05 PM
    • 2,907Posts
    • 487Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    2018 ... what duration do you opt for on renewal?
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:05 PM
    2018 ... what duration do you opt for on renewal? 7th Jan 18 at 11:05 PM
    I know everyone is different and there's so many variables but just out of interest - what would you opt for and why?

Ours is up for renewal at the end of November. 5 years ago we went for a 5 year fixed with Nationwide at 3.19%.

We did this at the time because we had just become FTBs and we wanted stability so opted for a fixed term.
    3.19% at the time was the best deal our IFA got for us. He showed us a whole list of offers and this one from Nationwide was at the top for being cheapest. We wanted to go for a long term so that we had that stability for 5 years which gave us 5 years to get other things on the house sorted while mortgage payments were consistent.

Looking back it wasn't the cheapest option over the course of the past 5 years but hey ho.

We still like the stability of a fixed rate so i'm fairly sure we'll be going fixed again, the question is probably just going to be the duration.

So for those of you who are also renewing this year or even if you're not - let's assume you were to be, then what would you go for (including duration) and why?

I'm asking because i don't want to be totally closed minded and i'd like to see how other more experienced people think.

Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

382Posts Today

6,358Users online

Martin's Twitter