Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nesty
    • By Nesty 7th Jan 18, 11:04 PM
    • 466Posts
    • 81Thanks
    Nesty
    Ebay printed postage label-Do they have to be scanned at PO counter?
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:04 PM
    Ebay printed postage label-Do they have to be scanned at PO counter? 7th Jan 18 at 11:04 PM
    If I print off a ebay postage label. Does it have to scanned at the PO counter? Or can I drop it into the sack at the PO and it will get scanned enroute.
    Sometimes, my PO has massive queues. I am looking at a way to streamline time drop off!
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 7th Jan 18, 11:30 PM
    • 60,465 Posts
    • 43,104 Thanks
    soolin
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:30 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:30 PM
    If I print off a ebay postage label. Does it have to scanned at the PO counter? Or can I drop it into the sack at the PO and it will get scanned enroute.
    Sometimes, my PO has massive queues. I am looking at a way to streamline time drop off!
    Originally posted by Nesty
    If you want proof of postage then you need to get packages scanned and a receipt given at a post office counter. However if you are happy to do without POPs then items can be dropped into any box.

POPS are needed should you ever need to claim loss or damage from RM or if a buyer does an 'unauthorised use of card' claim through PayPal.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Nesty
    • By Nesty 7th Jan 18, 11:52 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Nesty
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:52 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:52 PM
    Ah ok. Many thanks Soolin.
    I have re-started into my ebay stuff for 2018. It's proving very popular, so requirement to speed up some postage drop of is required!
    • batg
    • By batg 8th Jan 18, 3:09 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    batg
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:09 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:09 AM
    when I send registered or is it recorded....I print it from ebay then just out it in a regular post box.
    once it hits the system the tracking updates online
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Jan 18, 7:25 AM
    • 12,213 Posts
    • 8,249 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:25 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:25 AM
    when I send registered or is it recorded....I print it from ebay then just out it in a regular post box.
    Originally posted by batg
    It's Signed For (signature on delivery).

If you drop it in a box you don't have proof of posting. Your proof of posting can defend a chargeback should one arise.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    • 60,465 Posts
    • 43,104 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    Originally posted by batg
    Which is absolutely fine as long as item isn't lost or fails to show as delivered. Also, as above, if paypal get pendantic, proof of delivery is not the same as proof of postage for a claim of unauthorised use of a card.

However, as long as sellers know the risks and rules it's fine. Before my sales started taking off, I often put small cheap items straight in the box rather than go all the way to the PO for one item. I only get maybe 2 'unauthorised claims' on average a year anyway so I would have to be unlucky if it hit one of the ones without a POP. I don't do it anymore though as I can't drop my discounted post off unless it is bagged and tagged properly.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 8th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    My post office can't even scan them. They moan every time because it isn't an old fashioned barcode.

They handle it different all the time too. Sometimes they just type some stuff in and print off the pop, sometimes they feel the need to stick on an additional barcode of their own and scan it.

Everything seems to get to its destination though, so I just let them moan and faff about as much as they like. No skin off my nose!
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 8th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    My post office can't even scan them. They moan every time because it isn't an old fashioned barcode.

They can't scan the non-signed for ones.

For that hand them one of these with your parcels:

https://www.royalmail.com/.../Bulk_Certificate_Posting_Standard.pdf

(opens pdf file)

I don't use Signed for printed from eBay but I assume those have the signed for barcode on them.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 8th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    They can't scan the non-signed for ones.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    So what is the point of the barcode then?
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 10th Jan 18, 9:34 AM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    bxboards

They handle it different all the time too. Sometimes they just type some stuff in and print off the pop, sometimes they feel the need to stick on an additional barcode of their own and scan it.

Everything seems to get to its destination though, so I just let them moan and faff about as much as they like. No skin off my nose!
    Originally posted by lstar337
    My local (rural) post office always seems to have trouble with any sort of pre-paid RM barcode. Often they do not scan, so they key them, and other times stick on another large barcode from a roll.

The issue seems to be with the post office, as they seem to scan fine once en route.

I suspect they press the wrong button so the system won't let it be scanned...
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 11th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    lstar337
    My local (rural) post office always seems to have trouble with any sort of pre-paid RM barcode. Often they do not scan, so they key them, and other times stick on another large barcode from a roll.

The issue seems to be with the post office, as they seem to scan fine once en route.

I suspect they press the wrong button so the system won't let it be scanned...
    Originally posted by bxboards
    Exact same, rural post office. What you said sounds exactly the same as my experience, to the letter! Maybe we use the same PO, you never know!
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    • 18,798 Posts
    • 12,956 Thanks
    molerat
    I took an Amazon return to my local sorting office drop off point. The guy had not got a clue, scanned it a few times clicking the different bar codes on the wall so I took it off of him and put it to the local shop PO, scanned in and given receipt. The tracking showed the first item as delivered from my local sorting office then posted at PO and then onwards correctly. Not just the small POs that have problems.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,047Posts Today

8,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin