Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PeteStubbings
    • By PeteStubbings 7th Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    PeteStubbings
    Elderly parents, dementia and car insurance for carer
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    Elderly parents, dementia and car insurance for carer 7th Jan 18 at 9:44 PM
    Hmmm. I'm a bit worried about my mum and dad's car insurance policy. Dad has dementia and hasn't driven for eighteen months. During this time, his license lapsed and we haven't renewed it for obvious reasons. However, it recently came to light that my sister bought new insurance for them and put Dad as the main driver with Mum as the named driver - even though he's not driving anymore. This was to keep mum independent and allow her the dignity of taking dad in to hospital and respite care, etc. He is 82 and mum is 80 - she passed her test later on in life and never once has she had insurance in her own name. I suspect that any quotes for her to drive as sole policy holder would be stratospheric. I think I know the answer to this, but as it's Sunday evening, I don't suppose the Dementia support care lines will be open and I need some information pretty quickly as this will need to be swiftly resolved. Anyone?? Many thanks in advance
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 7th Jan 18, 10:19 PM
    • 4,540 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:19 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:19 PM
    What your sister did is called fronting and risks your mother having a policy invalid should she need a claim

You may need a broker if it is cost prohibitive. Have you tried dummy quotes on the comparison websites first?

Consider having a taxi service or a local service for the elderly, maybe cheaper than running a car
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 8th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,368 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    What does your Mum want?

She might be happy to pay the increased premium in order to keep her car. As she's been a named driver on her husband's policy and (presumably) was claim free, she is likely to be offered an introductory bonus so wouldn't be back to having no NCD at all.

Or she might be happy for your sister to sort it out and is prepared to take the risk of being found out. That's assuming that she knows that what your sister has done is fraudulent. Is your sister aware of the implications?
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 8th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    I think your mum needs to stop driving the car until insurance in her name is sorted out. If she has an accident the insurance co could refuse to pay out.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 35,856 Posts
    • 20,091 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    it recently came to light that my sister bought new insurance for them and put Dad as the main driver with Mum as the named driver ......
    Originally posted by PeteStubbings
    If she contacts the insurer and explains the position they may well transfer the NCD to her to use on her own policy
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 8th Jan 18, 3:49 PM
    • 29,367 Posts
    • 74,979 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:49 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:49 PM
    I'm a bit worried about my mum and dad's car insurance policy. Dad has dementia and hasn't driven for eighteen months. During this time, his license lapsed and we haven't renewed it for obvious reasons.

However, it recently came to light that my sister bought new insurance for them and put Dad as the main driver with Mum as the named driver - even though he's not driving anymore. This was to keep mum independent and allow her the dignity of taking dad in to hospital and respite care, etc.
    Originally posted by PeteStubbings
    When Dad agreed to stop driving but wanted to keep the car in his name, we spoke to his insurance company who offered an 'any driver over 50 except Dad' policy.

This suited us as it was the older family members who drove him and Mum around.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,051Posts Today

7,803Users online

Martin's Twitter