Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deano9133
    • By deano9133 7th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 17Thanks
    deano9133
    When was the first time you remember being in a car?
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    When was the first time you remember being in a car? 7th Jan 18 at 9:06 PM
    I think three memories being once hearing on the radio someone being rested and thinking it meant being arrested
    Also coming back from holiday in about 2003 listening to the scores
    Also asking my dad to drop me off down the road from the caravan park we were staying at
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 7th Jan 18, 9:09 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:09 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:09 PM
    Losing the ladder to a matchbox fire engine down the vent of a Vauxhall Viva
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 7th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    1986, not sure what month.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 7th Jan 18, 10:31 PM
    • 2,781 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:31 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:31 PM
    Late 1950's in my Dad's new Vauxhall Victor.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 7th Jan 18, 10:33 PM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 4,563 Thanks
    waamo
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:33 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:33 PM
    Listening to Tony Blackburn on the breakfast show by the seaside. It must have been the early 70!!!8217;s
    This space for hire.
    • boingsaidzebedee
    • By boingsaidzebedee 8th Jan 18, 1:59 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    boingsaidzebedee
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:59 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:59 AM
    I remember thinking "that could have an unfortunate outcome should a herd of bulls come walking up the road" as Perkins our butler walked in front of daddy's brand new 1901 Packard Model C waving a red flag.
    It was rather unfortunate also that the Packard had quite a fierce clutch as it lurched forward as daddy changed gear and ran over Perkins.Awfully inconvenient as we had to stop at the next village to telegraph for another servant to come and serve the Pimm's.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 8th Jan 18, 2:18 AM
    • 2,946 Posts
    • 4,354 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:18 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:18 AM
    Early 70's, in our Mini Countryman, wondering why our car was made of wood.

Think it was even this colour.

• unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Jan 18, 6:02 AM
    • 2,677 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:02 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:02 AM
    Early 60s in aunts Austin A30 with the semaphore indicators as she went on her midwife rounds.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 8th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    Sitting on the transmission tunnel in a Rover P5 with at least 7 of us in the car before my dad had a car getting a lift somewhere. In fact I think my sister was sitting on my dad's lap and there were at least 4 across the back seat!

It was an automatic with overdrive. I was about 4 and I don't think I'd ever been in a car before and I was in this luxury monster.

My dad's first car was a new C reg Morris 1100 with optional front seat belts and optional heater fitted. I was always sick in it.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AdrianC
    First definite times would be either my mother's Maxi or a rented Transit motorhome to go to Great Yarmouth for a week.

The Maxi really stands out on two occasions really stand out - sitting in it outside the shops when a Land Rover reversed into it, and being used as padding (together with my little brother) while a twin-tub washing machine was brought back from my grandmother's.

They'd all be around 1974-5, I think - so I'd have been under 5.

First concrete memory of my dad's cars was going with him to collect a new company car - a lime green Mk3 Cortina.
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 8th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    mollycat
    Great thread!!

Dad was a mechanic, so my earliest memories are of numerous cars spending short times in our ownership before being sold/replaced.

This was early-mid sixties; I recall thinking that we were lucky as his job meant we always had a car when most people living around us didn't.

Our cars weren't flashy at all, probably picked up through contacts in the trade. There's a photo of me as a toddler sitting on a (probably on it's last legs) Jaguar, but we also owned a less salubrious Simca, as well as the more mainstream Zephyrs, Zodiacs, Minis, Cortina's, etc, etc.

Got a really nice photo of my mum as a young woman standing next to a Zephyr down by the seaside, where I now live, coincidently.

Also recall bits of engines, gearboxes etc being brought home to be repaired in the kitchen; regular trips to the "scrappy" every saturday afternoon were a treat.

Happy days, and probably why I've also adopted a "bangernomics" approach to car buying as well.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 8th Jan 18, 10:56 AM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    Must be the mid 1950's in my Dad's Singer, with a pre-selector gearbox, I somehow remember that vividly!
    A trip to Blackpool to see the illuminations. Broke down on the way home, haven't a clue what the problem was but I remember we were stuck all night in the middle of nowhere, no motorways then to use for that trip, until help could be summoned.
    The second was probably the late 50's, again my Dad's car, a 1937 Rover 14. That broke down too. The mechanical fuel pump drive failed (a cam driven lever). An AA man, with a dripping nose (it's strange what one remembers), rigged up a wire from the pump priming lever into the car so that my Mum could operate the pump by by hand with that wire. That got us the remaining miles home.
    Last edited by oldagetraveller; 08-01-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 8th Jan 18, 12:29 PM
    • 4,733 Posts
    • 1,758 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Dads big, old even then, Alvis saloon, preselector gearbox and always overheated on a hill on the way to Bristol to see grandparents. The car was 6 cylinder and had 3 SU carbs, very tricky to set them up right.
    I had a few goes at driving it but was still too young to get a licence.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 8th Jan 18, 12:59 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    Ganga
    Must be the mid 1950's in my Dad's Singer, with a pre-selector gearbox, I somehow remember that vividly!
    A trip to Blackpool to see the illuminations. Broke down on the way home, haven't a clue what the problem was but I remember we were stuck all night in the middle of nowhere, no motorways then to use for that trip, until help could be summoned.
    The second was probably the late 50's, again my Dad's car, a 1937 Rover 14. That broke down too. The mechanical fuel pump drive failed (a cam driven lever). An AA man, with a dripping nose (it's strange what one remembers), rigged up a wire from the pump priming lever into the car so that my Mum could operate the pump by by hand with that wire. That got us the remaining miles home.
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    Reminds me of the time we came home from the lake district back to the NE of England in my dads Standard 12,the fuel lift pump cam was bent and to get home we had to run till engine stopped,lift bonnet and prime fuel pump by hand then drive on,took ages,dad said with hindsight could have rigged wire into car and done the same,happy days.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 8th Jan 18, 1:12 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Reminds me of the time we came home from the lake district back to the NE of England in my dads Standard 12,the fuel lift pump cam was bent and to get home we had to run till engine stopped,lift bonnet and prime fuel pump by hand then drive on,took ages,dad said with hindsight could have rigged wire into car and done the same,happy days.
    Originally posted by Ganga
    Back in the sixties, I'm pretty sure we were surprised to have gone on holiday and NOT called out the AA, even on a new car.

My wife doesn't quite understand why I got so excited about seeing an AA recently. I probably thought they were our hotel when I was little.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 8th Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    • 2,791 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Summer of 1957. I was with dad in the Fordson E83W van he used for his business, waiting for my mum to visit my grandad in hospital. He died not long after which is how I know when it was.
    I remember dad saying "look under the seat" and there was a bar of Toblerone there. Not much else though really.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 8th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 1,578 Thanks
    Stoke
    I have very vague recollections of a couple of old motors. A red Land Rover Defender, an awful Metro (no seat belts in the back), and a Citroen AX. I don't remember much of the last two, but I do remember bits and bobs from the Land Rover.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 8th Jan 18, 3:21 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    Originally posted by Ganga
    That's what my Dad was doing initially, opening the bonnet, hand priming the pump until the carburettor bowl emptied again. Rinse and repeat until reaching a phone box to call out the AA.
    I don't fully remember what the problem was but an exchange reconditioned pump did the trick, about 5 minutes to change, two nuts and two fuel hose clips. It was possibly too much wear on the cam operated lever. Now, on a modern car, not so basic with the l.p. pump probably in the fuel tank.
    Last edited by oldagetraveller; 08-01-2018 at 3:28 PM.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 4,434 Thanks
    DoaM
    Not my earliest memory, but ... 10 of us in a G reg (original G reg, with the G at the end) Cortina going to Beamish Museum. Configured like this:

Dad driving
    Mam in rear with me on her lap
    Mr neighbour in rear with my older brother on his lap
    Mrs neighbour in rear with her son (my age) on her lap
    Neighbour's Dad (Grandad) in passenger seat with granddaughter and my younger brother on his lap

Elfin Safety? What elfin safety!
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 8th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Not my earliest memory, but ... 10 of us in a G reg (original G reg, with the G at the end) Cortina going to Beamish Museum. Configured like this:

Dad driving
    Mam in rear with me on her lap
    Mr neighbour in rear with my older brother on his lap
    Mrs neighbour in rear with her son (my age) on her lap
    Neighbour's Dad (Grandad) in passenger seat with granddaughter and my younger brother on his lap

Elfin Safety? What elfin safety!
    Originally posted by DoaM
    We walked to Lyme Regis from Seaton and realised only then that there were no buses back. I ran, fetched the car while the others walked back. 7 adults in a Chevette, 2 in the front, 4 in the back, and one in the boot.

The same Chevette where dad was in the middle of London and went to change gear and was left clutching a detached gear stick, somewhat reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan's opening scene.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

1,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin