Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YKay
    • By YKay 7th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    • 725Posts
    • 630Thanks
    YKay
    Renault Clio Advice - 2007 (20,000 Miles)
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    Renault Clio Advice - 2007 (20,000 Miles) 7th Jan 18 at 7:43 PM
    2007 / 20,371 miles / Hatchback / Manual / 1.4L / Petrol
    • One owner from new
    • Comes with free service
    • Free 12 months MOT
    • 3 months AA Parts & Labour Warrenty
    • Last services at 15,743 miles
    • service history

The car is generally in good condition, I can't really fault the bodywork and interior, however under the bonnet looks very ruff. I don't know much about cars, so maybe this is normal and it just needs a good clean up? What do you think, as the engine is the obviously the most important.

Price: 2,600

Click the engine photo to make bigger.

gif upload
    Last edited by YKay; 07-01-2018 at 8:14 PM.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 27,219 Posts
    • 10,966 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    Free service - does the oil look cleanish? If top top it up to look fairly clean?

Missing the vital data, last service 5k miles ago but when was that? Has it been serviced EVERY year? How many cambelts?

I would expect a 20k mile car to be spotless inside and out.

Bought a 4 year old car last year and it was like new inside and out.

That engine looks like its done at least 80k miles. Why does it have wet oily patches all over it?

A few little telltale signs there, im guessing that engines been out...
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • facade
    • By facade 7th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 1,688 Thanks
    facade
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    Engine looks how you would expect for a car that has been standing unused for the best part of 10 years, and probably only had the bonnet up 3 times. Surprised the seller didn't just clean it up before sale.

How long ago, in years was the last service?

Very low mileage cars can be a lot of trouble as they may have done a lot of trips to the shops and never warmed up properly which really wears the engine, or they can have stood in damp conditions (parked on grass) for a long time.
    Have a look underneath for rusty suspension and exhaust pipes.

I've no idea what a 10 year old clio is worth, although I did turn a 14 year old one down at 75 that needed a wheelbearing a couple of years ago.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • YKay
    • By YKay 7th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    YKay
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    More information that may help from the MOT GOV checker

15 APRIL 2010 - 4,901 MILES - PASS

27 APRIL 2011 - 6,830 MILES - PASS

26 APRIL 2012 - 8,633 MILES - PASS

29 APRIL 2013 - 10,237 MILES - PASS

28 APRIL 2014 - 11,934 MILES - PASS

17 JUNE 2015 - 14,187 MILES - PASS

17 JUNE 2016 - 15,743 MILES - PASS

20 JUNE 2017 - 18,514 MILES - FAIL
    - OFFSIDE FRONT COIL SPRING BROKEN (2.4.C.1a)
    - NEARSIDE REAR TYRE HAS A TEAR CAUSED BY SEPARATION OR PARTIAL FAILURE OF ITS STRUCTURE (4.1.D.1b)

20 JUNE 2017 - 18.514 MILES - PASS
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 7th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    • 2,501 Posts
    • 1,638 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    Does seem a lot for a 10yr old car, regardless of the mileage
    • YKay
    • By YKay 7th Jan 18, 10:12 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    YKay
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:12 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:12 PM
    The price does seem very good compared to other cars with the milage and age. The car is selling for around 3,500+, this is the best deal I have found.

Just worried about under that bonnet. Shall I get them to give it a clean up and re-inspect it?
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 8th Jan 18, 9:10 AM
    • 7,328 Posts
    • 6,616 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:10 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:10 AM
    The price does seem very good compared to other cars with the milage and age. The car is selling for around 3,500+, this is the best deal I have found.
    Originally posted by YKay
    Are you sure? We looked at selling a 2008 with normal miles and had a private sale value of about 2k.

A quick look on Autotrader shows lots of 2006/2007 cars for under 1500, like this one: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712021755111?sort=sponsored&radius=1501&adverti sing-location=at_cars&postcode=ml84ey&make=RENAULT&ones earchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad= New&model=CLIO&price-to=5000&page=1

Just worried about under that bonnet. Shall I get them to give it a clean up and re-inspect it?
    No, it won't make any difference to the condition and may mean they'll cover up any issues (I'm assuming this is a dealership).

If you think the price is comparable with locally, I'd invest in an AA/RAC inspection of it.

It's done puny miles, so it's spend most of it's life sitting about rusting, so you should treat it like any other 10 year / 100,000 mile car. The big risk is that it's not been serviced properly since a lot of people think it doesn't need it.

Has it had new oil? How old do the tyres look? Has it had the belts done?

On the plus side, it's been doing consistent mileage going by the MOT's, so hasn't spent 8 years in a field. On the down side, at 2000 miles a year it's very likely to have gone to Tesco and back once a week by an older person without much mechanical sympathy.
    Last edited by Herzlos; 08-01-2018 at 9:14 AM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Jan 18, 11:49 AM
    • 3,048 Posts
    • 2,207 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:49 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:49 AM
    RUN AWAY. It'll give you nothing but grief when you start using it. You'll find all kinds of things failing which you'd not expect on a car with three or four times the mileage.

ALL THE TYRES NEED CHANGING except the one that already has. Chances are they're the original ones fitted when the vehicle was new and are over a decade old so the rest are likely to fail like the replaced one has.

Cambelt will need doing, auxiliary belt(s) will need doing. Expect issues with things like the handbrake seizing.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 8th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    If you forget the low mileage (which as discussed is not the advantage many believe it to be) the car is about a grand overpriced.

If you specifically want a Clio I would be more inclined to buy a similar age and spec car that has higher miles and will have been used more frequently for longer trips. Probably look to pay 1400 ish.

Bear in mind any car this age will need parts replacing sooner or later which can be expensive if you are having a garage do the work.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 8th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    Dandytf
    That Clio will run for years if serviced once a year.
    I have 3 Clio!!!8217;s past fey years,
    01-38 months appr
    02-2008until2014 +80 k miles
    63/14 -30 k-current car
    sc dmp 2012 13k
    Jan 2018 8840 paid. 60% approx.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,967 Thanks
    AdrianC
    20k over 10 years is not a positive. It's a negative.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 8th Jan 18, 8:12 PM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 2,032 Thanks
    Ectophile
    Personally, the grubbiness of the engine would be the least of my worries.

There are car nuts who obsessively polish every bit of their cars, including the engine. Then there are the people who lift the bonnet once in a while to check that the oil and water are still there, and have the car serviced once a year. I'm in the latter camp. After 10 years, the engine will be a bit grotty looking. So long as it runs fine and doesn't leak oil all over the driveway, I'm happy.

But as others have said, very low mileage is not a good thing. And look closely at the service history.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 8th Jan 18, 9:39 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    That shouts older persons shop runabout to me. That then leads into questions like has the engine warmed up very much, and how many nasties will occur when I use the car heavily?

It's a dealer car so there's profit in it for the dealer. That 3 month AA parts and labour warranty will have exclusions in it, mostly the wear and tear stuff but it's not a massive bonus.

At that age, I'd be looking private sale and probably double that number of miles.
    • ROY47
    • By ROY47 8th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    ROY47
    Quote from previous answer

"I would expect a 20k mile car to be spotless inside and out.

Bought a 4 year old car last year and it was like new inside and out.

That engine looks like its done at least 80k miles. Why does it have wet oily patches all over it?

A few little telltale signs there, im guessing that engines been out... "

Your talking through rear end ...

They are not oily wet patches just usual used dusty patches
    If you took the time to wait and read the mot history to confirm mileage etc.

My own car is 13 years old
    bought at 18 000 miles 10 years ago
    Now on 36 000 miles
    Bodywork is spotless
    Engine bay is a little dusty like the one above
    Serviced / mot every year

Has engine been out as you say above
    NO
    There are some genuine low mileage cars out there
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Jan 18, 1:42 AM
    • 27,219 Posts
    • 10,966 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    ROY47, explain the oily wet patches on a 20k mile engine? That is not normal. Dusty fair enough but oily patches where the dust soaked up the oil.

Look at some of the clips, they face upwards where on a standard factory original vehicle they will be facing downwards. So those clips have been removed since it left the factory.

3500 for a 2007 car??? Paid a bit more than that for a 38k mile KA that was under 5 years old. From a large garage chain also not private or a small trader.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • ROY47
    • By ROY47 9th Jan 18, 8:18 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    ROY47
    WHAT oily patches are you talking about ??
    If you mean the slightly darker bits on the grey tubes ?
    That's not oil
    Upside down clips where

We will agree to disagree

But I would knock price down

KA is different to Clio
    Personally wouldn't touch a KA
    each to their own I suppose
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

126Posts Today

1,625Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin