Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • funguy
    • By funguy 7th Jan 18, 5:26 PM
    • 546Posts
    • 820Thanks
    funguy
    Vanguard Investor Portfolio page question
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:26 PM
    Vanguard Investor Portfolio page question 7th Jan 18 at 5:26 PM
    Dear all,

Looking for some advice please...

For the first time, I decided to dip my toe into the S+S Isa market. I have opened it directly with Vanguard...i put in a small amount into the Lifestrategy 80% and a similar amount into the Global Balanced fund.
    It was really to test it out for myself - now several months later, I see the Lifestrategy 80% has risen almost double the Global Balanced Fund. Is this more likely as one is a passive and one an active fund?

Also, under "actions", there is an option to "switch"each fund. What is this function? Could i theoretically switch the money in one fund to another within the ISA?

Thank you in advance for your advice
Page 1
    • A_T
    • By A_T 7th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    A_T
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    The Balanced Fund does seem to have done remarkably badly - in 2017 up only 6.89% compared to 10.89% for VLS80. It's 30% fixed income compared to VLS80's 20% so it is understandable it has not done as well as VLS80 - but VLS60 also beat it and it barely outperformed VLS40.

Noone ever talks about Vanguard's active funds and you can see why
    Last edited by A_T; 07-01-2018 at 6:20 PM.
    • chrisgg
    • By chrisgg 7th Jan 18, 10:19 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    chrisgg
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:19 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:19 PM
    The fund is a fourth quartile performer, but only has short track record, it may yet come good.

If you like the diversity of holding an active fund along with your tracker, you could look at some of the better long term performers in the IA 40-85% Shares sector.
    • funguy
    • By funguy 8th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    funguy
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    Thank you both!
    Anyone able to advise on below :

Also, under "actions", there is an option to "switch"each fund. What is this function? Could i theoretically switch the money in one fund to another within the ISA whenever i wanted without further fees etc??
    • chockydavid1983
    • By chockydavid1983 8th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    chockydavid1983
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    I'm not familiar with the platform but yes, you can normally switch between the available funds whenever you want.
    • cjv
    • By cjv 8th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    cjv
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    Yes, I have switched funds with Vanguard.

Enter the value of the fund you want to switch, or select the "all" if you want to switch all of your holdings in a specific fund.

You will then go to the investment page and you just enter the value of your new funds you wish to switch to.

Although it says switch, you still have to sell and buy the funds but it will all be done for you once you place the switch order.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,680Users online

Martin's Twitter