Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • xstacefacex91x
    • By xstacefacex91x 7th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    xstacefacex91x
    Home Insurance Cancelled/Refused - HELP!
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    Home Insurance Cancelled/Refused - HELP! 7th Jan 18 at 3:44 PM
    Hello, I'm very new to the forums but I've had to come on here to see if anyone can provide a little bit of advice.

A couple of year's ago, my dad who is aged 69 received a letter saying his home insurance had been cancelled due to him not providing the correct information. This was about a month into the policy. Our garage was broken into twice during 2013 and although my dad declared this, the insurance company said he provided the wrong dates of the claims when taking out the new insurance.

This was a genuine mistake on my dads part however am I right to think this will forever impact on taking out future policies? When I look on comparison sites, they obviously ask the question at the end - "Has the policy holder previously been refused home insurance. had a policy cancelled or special terms etc etc"

When I answer yes to this question (as this seems right to me), the providers available become very few and far between. Only 9 to be exact on Comparethemarket.com and confused.com

Has anyone else had this issue before and am I doing the right thing to answer yes to this question for him? I wouldn't want him to take out an insurance policy which becomes invalid due to the issue of having a previous policy cancelled.

Thanks in advance.

xstacefacex91x
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    • 35,870 Posts
    • 20,109 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    Yes, cancelled policy in your history is bad news, and must be disclosed (were he to answer no, it would simply result in another cancellation!) Which could be worse news if it came when he wanted to make a claim!

Very few off the peg online insurers will quote

See if a local broker (not Swinton) can help
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

891Posts Today

6,418Users online

Martin's Twitter