Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 7th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 272Posts
    • 133Thanks
    Glover1862
    Dropped Kerb help
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    Dropped Kerb help 7th Jan 18 at 2:55 PM
    I'm looking to buy the property in the link below, however it has no off street parking, is it feasible to drop the kerb and make a parking space, possibly two?

The house in Kettering (Northampton Council), it's the house with the diamond leaded windows next to the light Blue Toyota, wood picket fence.

Im hoping the tree won't cause a problem and the wooden parking post can be removed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3976849,-0.7129643,3a,79.9y,161.07h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB2ENZ0zNaCgJC8o7o0jgjA!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656
    Last edited by Glover1862; 07-01-2018 at 5:56 PM.
Page 2
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 7th Jan 18, 4:36 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Glover1862
    If it's rental, I doubt it would make any difference to the monthly rent value. If you do it unofficially you are storing up a problem for when the tenant can't get in our out.

Just buy it and rent it as it is, or find a different house.
    Originally posted by ProDave
    I do find off road parking much easier to rent out, plus parking is the main issue with disputes, I'll get a better idea tomorrow. thanks
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    • 25,311 Posts
    • 93,070 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Your map link doesn't seem to work
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    It did for me. Ended up not a million miles from where I live!!
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 7th Jan 18, 5:53 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Glover1862
    It did for me. Ended up not a million miles from where I live!!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Small world, I posted a second correct link.

I've got a property in Windmill Avenue and the area seems to be ok, hence why I'm looking at Oak Road which is just behind it.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow and maybe call Highway Dept.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 25,311 Posts
    • 93,070 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Small world, I posted a second correct link.

I've got a property in Windmill Avenue and the area seems to be ok, hence why I'm looking at Oak Road which is just behind it.
    Originally posted by Glover1862
    Err, I live a long way from you....like 220 miles.

Maybe my Google cookies focus it on my area by default?? It was just a bit weird!
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 7th Jan 18, 7:34 PM
    • 7,842 Posts
    • 8,023 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Maybe my Google cookies focus it on my area by default?? It was just a bit weird!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Yes, the original link just takes you to whatever your default Google Map location is.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 7th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 4,424 Posts
    • 6,358 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I don't think you are going to get off street parking in that road. The parking bays have been provided for parking. The stakes in the grass are there to stop people from parking on the grass. The fact that they are there means that there is a parking problem in that road.

What sort of tenant do you get in that area who wants to rent an ex council house?
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 7th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Glover1862
    I don't think you are going to get off street parking in that road. The parking bays have been provided for parking. The stakes in the grass are there to stop people from parking on the grass. The fact that they are there means that there is a parking problem in that road.

What sort of tenant do you get in that area who wants to rent an ex council house?
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    Tenants that pay!! What's wrong with ex council houses??

The posts are there because the road is narrow, stops the temptation to shove it up the kerb, as said, I've already got property in the area and the parking is no worse than elsewhere, actually much better most.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,826Posts Today

6,966Users online

Martin's Twitter