Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caggyxx
    • By caggyxx 7th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    caggyxx
    bank deposit error santander
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    bank deposit error santander 7th Jan 18 at 2:24 PM
    So I deposited 1112 into my bank account on the 4th Jan by the clerk at the desks in the bank, she hand counted it and confirmed the amount multiple times. Deposited it and gave me a receipt which she signed, which I put it my bag without really looking at It (I know, my fault). I didn't have reason to check that account until today as it's a shared account with flatmates so I don't actually use it for spending money. It's only when going on online banking and looking at it to see if the bills went out okay that I realised only 112 had been deposited in the account. Me and the clerk were both clear that it was 1112 so she's obviously mistyped and missed out a 1 when inputting it. I found the receipt in my bag and that says the same amount. I was going to go on Monday and ask to see the same clerk and hope she remembers but as far as I can tell I've only got her goodwill and memory to go on. Am I likely to get the 1000 back?

(I know I was dumb about the whole thing, just looking for advice not reprimands)

Thanks
Page 1
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 7th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    You!!!8217;ve only got her goodwill and memory...and a receipt.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    • 31,917 Posts
    • 20,102 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    Any cctv there, maybe speak to the manager.
    • Naf
    • By Naf 7th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    Naf
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    They should have found it at the end of the day and credited your account. When I worked on their counter you were supposed to write on the deposit slip (the one the bank keeps) the breakdown of notes accepted. This meant that at the end of the day if the till was wrong, these kinds of mistakes could be found.

Either way, her till ought to have been wrong at the end of her shift.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 7th Jan 18, 5:12 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,656 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:12 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:12 PM
    Tell the branch concerned.

It's highly likely the cashier (who will serve well over a hundred people a day) has recorded a 1,000 imbalance.
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 7th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    paragon909
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    Surely they would have 1000 over flow when they cashup at the end just like when they put to much into a customers and are short.
    • AnotherJAM
    • By AnotherJAM 7th Jan 18, 5:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AnotherJAM
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:44 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:44 PM
    I did this years ago with 100 and I didn't check the receipt until I got home. The cashier had put 10 in. I can't remember how it happened (whether I called them or they called me) but I remember it was easily spotted and cleared up. Hope you get it sorted without too much hassle.
    • Naf
    • By Naf 7th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    Naf
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    Tell the branch concerned.

It's highly likely the cashier (who will serve well over a hundred people a day) has recorded a 1,000 imbalance.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters

Recording a discrepancy like that is taken pretty seriously by Santander audits, they should have been extremely reluctant to record it, checking and double-checking all the tills, vault, and daily slips. We spent ages looking for 5 and 10 discrepancies, let alone 1k! I'm surprised it hasn't been credited to the account already tbh.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 7th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    Last time the Santander self-service machine "ate" a load of my money and threw up a "sorry something's gone wrong, here's your card back" type error and only credited a third of what I deposited, I reported it to the lady behind the counter and the missing amount was credited back to my account the next day.

Normally as a general rule when the banks audit or count the cash at the end of the working day/week they should spot that they've more money than that has been credited to an account, and so the error should be picked up and corrected relatively quickly. But it wouldn't hurt to pop back and talk to somebody and the branch can go back through the records.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 7th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,656 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Recording a discrepancy like that is taken pretty seriously by Santander audits, they should have been extremely reluctant to record it, checking and double-checking all the tills, vault, and daily slips. We spent ages looking for 5 and 10 discrepancies, let alone 1k! I'm surprised it hasn't been credited to the account already tbh.
    Originally posted by Naf
    Tough to track down without having recall on every transaction.
    • Naf
    • By Naf 7th Jan 18, 8:28 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    Naf
    Tough to track down without having recall on every transaction.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    See back to my first reply about cashiers noting down the breakdown of denominations for deposits/withdrawals.

Obviously can't guarantee this had actually happened, but its the reason I say I'm surprised. Its also possible (though much less likely) that there's another error for the same amount in the other direction.
    - Mark Twain
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 7th Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 14,911 Thanks
    Westie983
    Speak to the bank, as the cashier would have had a cash over of 1000, and if they were not able to work out which customer it was it would have been put down as a cash error.

When you go into branch and show your receipt and explain what has happened, they will check the cash error folder and see there was a discrepancy and your money will be credited.

Nothing to worry about if you are indeed did pay in 1112.00. Its easily done and quite hard to find in the number of transactions over a day of a cashier.

It could of course be narrowed down to a specific time if the cashier had balanced till before you were served.

Speak to the bank at first chance.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25,000)+10,000/12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 62.59/365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 900/1,000 = 90.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1,500)+-480/2,000 = 51.00%

Total 12,022.59/15,865 = 75.78%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 8th Jan 18, 5:55 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    Let us know how you get on when you go back to the bank to clear it up.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,458Posts Today

6,866Users online

Martin's Twitter