Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bill85129
    • By bill85129 7th Jan 18, 1:08 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bill85129
    Inheritance
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:08 PM
    Inheritance 7th Jan 18 at 1:08 PM
    Hi
    My Dad is due to inherit 21000 . However he retired 4 years earlier than expected due to ill health and as such lived off savings. He , along with my mum, has subsequently had to rely on benefits since then and myself and my sister have helped them out significantly. My Dad wishes to give myself and my brother some of the inheritance as payback but is concerned that it will look like he is trying to defraud the benefits system.
    What is the best way to do this?
Page 1
    • bill85129
    • By bill85129 7th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bill85129
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    Apologies me and my sister
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 7th Jan 18, 1:14 PM
    • 2,805 Posts
    • 2,767 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:14 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:14 PM
    Hi
    My Dad is due to inherit 21000 . However he retired 4 years earlier than expected due to ill health and as such lived off savings. He , along with my mum, has subsequently had to rely on benefits since then and myself and my sister have helped them out significantly. My Dad wishes to give myself and my brother some of the inheritance as payback but is concerned that it will look like he is trying to defraud the benefits system.
    What is the best way to do this?
    Originally posted by bill85129
    If they claim any means tested benefits then anything over 16,000 in savings/capital will stop their benefits. If they give away money to bring their savings down below the limit, then this is called deprivation of capital. They will still be classed as having the money and their benefits will still be stopped.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,454Users online

Martin's Twitter