Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 7th Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    • 26,118Posts
    • 35,096Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    Nurse with £5500 parking """fines"""
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    Nurse with £5500 parking """fines""" 7th Jan 18 at 12:56 PM
    I have complete sympathy with nurses and their parking problems but why would you let it get to £5500? Unless a "friend" has given "legal" advice to ignore.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nurses-fury-after-getting-charged-11804315
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
Page 1
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 7th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,308 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    Croydon Health Services NHS Trust said: !!!8220;We are a busy hospital, and work hard to make sure our parking is fair. We offer concessions for patients, including those who require regular hospital visits, and designated areas for staff.

!!!8220;Wardens will only ticket those cars that have stayed over their allotted time.

!!!8220;If any patient or member of staff feels they have been ticketed unfairly, we offer the chance to appeal.!!!8221;

and they wonder about shortage of staff
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 7th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 5,990 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    She knew she couldnt park, yet continued to rack up loads of fines, her own fault!
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 7th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,308 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    She knew she couldnt park, yet continued to rack up loads of fines, her own fault!
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    as in most of the hospital cases , THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH PARKING PLACES ALLOCATED TO STAFF
    • prowla
    • By prowla 7th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 9,819 Posts
    • 7,913 Thanks
    prowla
    Some of it was where she overstayed whilst dealing with patients, or should she just walk away when her official shift time ends?

The whole parking thing in the UK is wrong - if people need to drive to work then they need a place to park; instead councils, employers and parking companies view it as a moneymaking scheme.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 7th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    • 5,990 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    So how do all the other nurses manage?
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 7th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,308 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    So how do all the other nurses manage?
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    why not have a drive to Wales and ask some nurses

if you read the press artice again you will see "Single mum Vicky Slayford says she has received more than 80 tickets while doing her job and reveals virtually all her colleagues have had at least one ticket from private firm Empark UK"
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 7th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,308 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    having looked at enpark , and number of DVLA enquires , I suspect that they are getting the keepers details direct from the database that they or the hospital holds , the lady had her permit on display (probably with a number on it) and cross ref would be easy by empark

the proof of the pudding would be 80 seperate requests to the DVLA for info
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 7th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 2,859 Posts
    • 4,088 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    Parking at our local hospital was free - for medical staff, patients and visitors.

Unfortunately, this was abused by shop workers and shoppers who parked there and walked the sort distance into town.

Medics and other hospital staff have their own designated free car park. Visitors and patients have to pay - but at least they can park now that most of the car park isn't being used by shoppers!
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 7th Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    • 36,810 Posts
    • 83,290 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Parking facilities can be done properly if the hospital trust has a mind to do it. Pop-up multi-story car parks will double or triple the available spaces in certain circumstances if more spaces are needed even on a long term but temporary basis.
    Long term solutions can be found as has happened with the new build hospital at Southmead, Bristol accompanied by the closure of the nearby Frenchay hospital. Temporary parking and park and ride for staff and patients was provided whilst the old car park was dug up and a new multi-story car park built.

The last thing any hospital should be doing is employing an unregulated private parking company. Anyone who does even the briefest of research will discover that the unregulated private parking industry is a scam, and is only there to feed the greed of the company without any regard for actually managing the parking.
    There is no advantage to an unregulated private parking company actually having people guiding cars to parking spaces, turning motorists away if there are no free spaces, and generally managing the parking flow. They would make no money if they did that.

The important thing to remember here is that the money generated does not go to the NHS or hospital trust where an unregulated private parking company is used. It goes to the unregulated private parking company.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 7th Jan 18, 2:41 PM
    • 7,551 Posts
    • 10,036 Thanks
    beamerguy
    This is a HUNT thing ?

The nodding dog Jeremy Hunt really should be set
    aside for a professional to take over

On the Andrew Marr programme today, Theresa May
    was stating her favourite saying "I recognise"

Cameron used to say "I get it"

Both of them ended up doing nothing ??

No wonder this country is in such a mess with so
    called leaders like this around
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 7th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,308 Thanks
    pappa golf
    I blame the french and spanish (indigo and empark) , those companies would have there offices burnt down if they tried this scam in the own countries

smart (australiaN) ,, we will just accept they are UN smart
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 7th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,308 Thanks
    pappa golf
    This is a HUNT thing ?

The nodding dog Jeremy Hunt really should be set
    aside for a professional to take over

On the Andrew Marr programme today, Theresa May
    was stating her favourite saying "I recognise"

Cameron used to say "I get it"

Both of them ended up doing nothing ??

No wonder this country is in such a mess with so
    called leaders like this around
    Originally posted by beamerguy

Theresa May pays more attention to a members bill about fox hunting
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 7th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 7,551 Posts
    • 10,036 Thanks
    beamerguy

The important thing to remember here is that the money generated does not go to the NHS or hospital trust where an unregulated private parking company is used. It goes to the unregulated private parking company.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    And maybe some unregulated commissions and bonuses
    floating around.

"How was your holiday in Barbados last year"
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 7th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 4,159 Posts
    • 5,895 Thanks
    Half_way
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles

Contracted-out car parking

NHS organisations are responsible for the actions of private contractors who run car parks on their behalf.
    NHS organisations should act against rogue contractors in line with the relevant codes of practice6where applicable.
    Contracts should not be let on any basis that incentivises additional charges, eg !!!8216;income from parking charge notices only!!!8217;.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 7th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,308 Thanks
    pappa golf
    Contracts should not be let on any basis that incentivises additional charges, eg Ďincome from parking charge notices onlyí.

ahh the cop out , the company makes its income by selling/installing signs (which they have to by law) and charge £50 per year per sign
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 7th Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    • 9,500 Posts
    • 9,262 Thanks
    The Deep
    The question is, should employers provide staff parking? When I worked in Whitehall, parking was as rare as hens teeth.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 7th Jan 18, 8:29 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    markudman
    There are different opinions about this story on here
    But surly the 2 main points are NHS and Cowboy parking operators.

Firstly I say that, if it was one of our families in hospital do you want the nurse to say, see ya, its home time, or do you want them to give the best care possible?

And are we not here to fight the PPC?
    I!!!8217;m a newbie here and to fighting cowboy PPC, in fact any cowboy.
    The NHS is a cause worth fighting for, and it starts with the PPC!!!8217;s.

I also understand 80 tickets is a lot, and should have been handled better, did she talk to anyone about them? I.E Management, anyway I support her,
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 9th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    nigelbb
    The question is, should employers provide staff parking? When I worked in Whitehall, parking was as rare as hens teeth.
    Originally posted by The Deep
    Why would you need to park a car? There is excellent provision of public transport in Central London running round the clock.
    • Computersaysno
    • By Computersaysno 10th Jan 18, 12:10 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    Computersaysno
    having looked at enpark , and number of DVLA enquires , I suspect that they are getting the keepers details direct from the database that they or the hospital holds , the lady had her permit on display (probably with a number on it) and cross ref would be easy by empark

the proof of the pudding would be 80 seperate requests to the DVLA for info
    Originally posted by pappa golf

This is a very valid point.

Not only are the scum not allowed to use NHS databases for the keeper details, but they also MUST request a separate data request from the DVLA for every SINGLE ticket; they are simply not allowed to use the data obtained from DVLA for the previous tickets

So 80 tickets does indeed mean that there should have been 80 requests made to the DVLA.

The RK can find out exactly to whom and on what dates the DVLA has released their information. The DVLA will maybe try to charge the RK for this information, but this can be successfully resisted [there's a letter knocking about somewhere on hoew to get the data wiothout paying].
    Last edited by Computersaysno; 10-01-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    Welcome to the world of 'Protect the brand at the cost of free speech'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,357Posts Today

7,503Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin