Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • StevenB12
    • By StevenB12 7th Jan 18, 12:36 PM
    • 100Posts
    • 17Thanks
    StevenB12
    Pay Dispute in work place?
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:36 PM
    Pay Dispute in work place? 7th Jan 18 at 12:36 PM
    Hey guys,

Was just wondering where I may stand on this or if anyone has had similar circumstances before.

Basically I work for a small construction company, we have plenty of work in etc and obviously I'm only speaking from what I know, but we as a company are fine for money etc. I started off about 6 month ago with another employee, as well as 3 employees who have worked here for about a year (give or take). Me and the person who started the same as me are on the same money per hour, but we were promised a cash christmas bonus which never came, but 2 of the other co workers did receive one, they are also on about 2/3 pound per hour more despite us doing the exact same roles and having the same experience from previous jobs.

We have recently found out as well that in the next week or so we will be taking on another employee, who has less experience, has never done this job before, but he is on 1 pound per hour more than me and the other newest employee.

I know there is probably nothing 'legal' to stand on here, but has anyone had any similar situations and what the outcome was etc?

Thank you
Page 1
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Jan 18, 12:41 PM
    • 6,653 Posts
    • 5,185 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:41 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:41 PM
    Sit down and have a discussion around a cost of living uprate or a payrise, if this doesn't bear fruit consider moving.

I'd be general rather than disclose your information relating to others at this point though. Are you on solid ground re how you came about this info?
    • StevenB12
    • By StevenB12 7th Jan 18, 12:49 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    StevenB12
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:49 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:49 PM
    Yeah, it was my boss who said he was taking someone else on but that we would have to show him the ropes etc since he hadn't done it before and that he was going to be paying him a little bit extra as an incentive for him to learn it faster.

Hit us a bit that while I don't mind showing anyone how to do something if I can, I just think that the pay should at least reflect that.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    • 6,653 Posts
    • 5,185 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    Yeah, it was my boss who said he was taking someone else on but that we would have to show him the ropes etc since he hadn't done it before and that he was going to be paying him a little bit extra as an incentive for him to learn it faster.
    Originally posted by StevenB12
    The threat of being shown the door is usually incentive enough, still if this focuses your attention on moving on, so be it.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 8th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 6,570 Posts
    • 8,536 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    There isn't any requirement for a company to pay everyone the same, only for them not to discriminate based on protected characteristics.

If you want to ask for more money than you should make your case based on how you are meeting the business's needs -e.g. when your pay was last reviewed / increased, what you enquiries suggest is that going rate for the type of work at your level of experience etc.

If the reality is that they are paying less than the going rate for this type of work, then you can make that argument, (and you can apply to, and move to a different employer if they are not prepared to increase what they pay you, and if you are being underpaid compared to market rates)

If they are not willing to give you an increase now, you can also ask them what you would need to do to be put on the higher rate, and when they will next review wages. Even though you see yourself as having the same skills and experience as the other employees, your employer may see it differently.

if you ask then, not about the other workers' pay, but about what you would need to do to get a rise to the higher level, then that may give you concrete targets to aim for in terms of your work.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,855Posts Today

6,952Users online

Martin's Twitter