Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • digitallife
    • By digitallife 7th Jan 18, 11:10 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    digitallife
    What happens to my email accts if i switch provider?
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:10 AM
    What happens to my email accts if i switch provider? 7th Jan 18 at 11:10 AM
    Hi everyone,

So after years of sticking with TalkTalk i've finaly decided that it's time to leave them for a new provider.
    My only real question is what happens to the email accounts i have with them (me, the better half, and one of my children) I have looked on their site, out in the interweb, and on a few forums and not really found anything that 100% answers my question.
    If anyone out there has switched and could let me know i'd be grateful of the info.

Thanks, and have a brew on me
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    • 10,505 Posts
    • 4,439 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    Essentially some time in the future you lose them .Usually the ISP deletes old email accounts in blocks . Can be weeks or years .
    So while your emails are active you move to a non ISP email server GMail etc .
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 7th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 2,778 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    Depends on the previous provider. I can still use my Sky email address 3 years after leaving them. Someone I knew who left another provider (might have been TalkTalk) could read emails but not send from the account.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 7th Jan 18, 1:57 PM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:57 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:57 PM
    What you can't do I believe with TalkTalk email accounts is change the password once you've left so if you're worried you've been hacked or you've just plain forgotten it then you're snookered.

Start moving everyone over to Gmail accounts now while you can.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th Jan 18, 3:05 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 761 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:05 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:05 PM
    Don't use ISP provided email services.
    Ever.

Use outlook.com or get your own domain and mail server.

I can't recommend Gmail at all
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    • 35,912 Posts
    • 20,184 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    Ever.

Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Millions do! (Is Google ISP available in UK?)
    • newatc
    • By newatc 7th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    newatc
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    I wouldn't use an ISP provided email services either to avoid the problems when changing providers.

That said it must be at least 10 years since I left TalkTalk and I'm still using their email address for rubbish (when I need to provide an address) though haven't tried changing my password.
    • J B
    • By J B 7th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    J B
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    Ever.

Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Get a Gmail

I can't recommend hotmail/live/outlook at all
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 7th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 809 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    Legacy accounts may hang around after you leave them if you've been with the provider for a while.

Plusnet deletes your email inboxes when you leave them. BT probably will by default, though I understand you can continue to pay for access to them. TalkTalk I can't say as when I moved to them I never set one up. Sky may keep your email address active after you leave their broadband/internet, though this may be dependent on whether you keep their other services (ie TV).
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jan 18, 7:30 AM
    • 25,312 Posts
    • 93,075 Thanks
    Davesnave
    With BT you pay 5 a month each for whatever email addresses you keep with them.

Bit of a rip off, but gives you time to move them.

(Edited)
    Last edited by Davesnave; 15-01-2018 at 1:23 PM.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    J B
    I still have two onetel.com e mail addresses that still work despite ending our dealings with them in 2007 (?)

A quick look on wiki
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One.Tel
    says
    However, on 19 December 2005 The Carphone Warehouse announced it was buying the company to merge its customers with its TalkTalk telecommunications offering.[11][12] The One.Tel UK business was retained as a separate operating company, and not merged into the main TalkTalk Group business. In late 2007 the One.Tel name was abolished for new customer acquisition in favour of the TalkTalk brand, though the brand existed (in 2014) for existing customers as 'onetel'.[13]

EDIT
    Just remembered that we have three ontel email accounts.
    I just logged in on their mailzone and sent a message from the forgotten third account to one of the others and ... it arrived!
    Last edited by J B; 08-01-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: More info ..
    • TalkTalk
      Verified User verified user
    • By TalkTalk Verified User verified user 8th Jan 18, 12:03 PM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    TalkTalk
    Hi digitallife,

Our current policy is that if you decide to leave us, your email account will stay active for 12 months. After this, you won't be able to manage your email using My Account anymore. If you have any questions, you can register and post on our Online Community on our website and the team will be able to help.

Thanks,
    Becky
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Tberry
    • By Tberry 8th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Tberry
    AOL Desktop being retired
    Going slightly off your query (but I can't find anything on the forums for my own query), and it's about AOL Desktop. I was with AOL for about sixteen years, before TalkTalk took over about two years ago. I kept my AOL email addresses, as I was told at the time that I could carry on using them, and I use them for absolutely everything. Since early December I have been getting warnings and emails to say that AOL Desktop is being retired and when it happens (in the next couple of days)) it will only be able to be accessed through Internet Explorer, Chrome or Firefox, none of which is on my pc. I do have Edge, which is supposed to be more or less the same as Internet Explorer and I can, at the moment, sign on through them. However, I don't know how long I will be able to do this. I've replied to the emails that were sent, asking all this, but haven't got any reply or even acknowledgement, and I've tried phoning TalkTalk, but it is always automated and they don't seem to understand my question. Has anyone on here had similar warnings and emails, how have you gone about ensuring that you won't lose your AOL Desktop info., etc? I am hopelessly un-techy, so please have pity on me and tell me in laymans term! Cheers
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Going slightly off your query (but I can't find anything on the forums for my own query), and it's about AOL Desktop.
    Originally posted by Tberry
    No idea what AOL Desktop is but it won't affect your email address. If you have MS Edge then you're on Windows 10 and IE 11 will be in the Windows accessories folder under the start button although Edge will be fine anyway.
    • Tberry
    • By Tberry 8th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Tberry
    Thank you Colin, what is 1`E 11, is that what I should search for?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 25,312 Posts
    • 93,075 Thanks
    Davesnave
    what is 1`E 11,
    Originally posted by Tberry
    Internet Explorer 11
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • TalkTalk
    • By TalkTalk Verified User verified user 9th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    TalkTalk
    Hi Tberry,

Sorry you've had trouble getting through to us over the phone. Any queries regarding AOL Desktop, AOL themselves will be able to help with if you get in touch with them via their website.

Thanks,
    Becky
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Tberry
    • By Tberry 10th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Tberry
    Thanks Becky, I finally received a response to my emails, a garbled email message that meant nothing to me. Tonight I tried to log in to AOL Desktop, but it was closed to any further business, retired in fact. The only phone numbers I have are either out of service, are now TalkTalk numbers or are really expensive to call. I have managed to log in via Edge, but it is just an email account, all my other stuff like Favourites places, email address list seems to have vanished, So as TalkTalk took over the AOL business in UK, you should really be helping us now!
    • Tberry
    • By Tberry 10th Jan 18, 8:12 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Tberry
    p.s. to Becky, I should add that I switched over to TalkTalk when you took over the uk AOL service, didn't have much choice as it meant that I could continue with my AOL email etc., and keep my email address, and as I said earlier, I am very untechy, I find it really difficult to get my head round new stuff. Thanks,
    T
    • TalkTalk
    • By TalkTalk Verified User verified user 13th Jan 18, 10:47 AM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    TalkTalk
    Hi Tberry,

I do understand, any issues with your internet services we'd be able to look straight into, but anything regarding AOL's platform, they'd have to investigate themselves. If you do have any questions though, please don't hesitate to get in touch either over Twitter (@TalkTalk), live chat or on our Online Community on our website.

Thanks,
    Becky
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

1,899Users online

Martin's Twitter