Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TobyLarone
    • By TobyLarone 7th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 57Posts
    • 6Thanks
    TobyLarone
    Part time job as EA?
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    Part time job as EA? 7th Jan 18 at 10:54 AM
    Hi All,

Hopefully this is the best place to post this...I assume there are some Estate Agents are reading this forum.

I've always fancied a job as an estate agent, but the job i'm in now (IT Consultant) pays fairly well so wouldn't be prepared to make the jump and do it full time as I imagine it would take several years to get to the salary I'm earning now. I just want to get a taste for it and I think I'd enjoy it.

What I would love to do is approach EAs offering myself on a casual basis to show prospective tenants around houses on Saturdays only. Emphasis on casual since I want to have a life and not work 6 days a week but work both ways as I wouldn't expect work each and every week.

My question is, would this kind of arrangement be worth proposing to EAs or would I get 'laughed' out of the door? I can see it would be beneficial for them as they would only pay for the time they are short staffed (holiday cover, sickness, mat/paternity leave etc). How would I go about it?

Thank you!
    Last edited by TobyLarone; 07-01-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Page 2
    • TobyLarone
    • By TobyLarone 7th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    TobyLarone
    You must be a very poorly paid IT consultant if you consider doing a Saturday job for an estate agent as a form of career progression
    Originally posted by Gwendo40
    Quite the contrary, I'm paid very well. I am just fed up of being sat in an office for 8 hours a day when I could be 'out and about'. Like I said one day a week would mean no risk if I didn't like it.
    • TobyLarone
    • By TobyLarone 7th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    TobyLarone
    You must be a very poorly paid IT consultant if you consider doing a Saturday job for an estate agent as a form of career progression
    Originally posted by Gwendo40
    Especially post #20 therein.
    Originally posted by googler
    That thread really does rip into them, I've only moved once and I've not had a bad experience. Interesting to see how they are perceived though!
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 7th Jan 18, 4:29 PM
    • 4,409 Posts
    • 4,915 Thanks
    robatwork
    It was partly me who ripped into EAs. Purely based on my own experience with them.

So on weekdays you will have to use your problem-solving mathematical brain, be accurate, straightforward and honest to your clients as an IT consultant.

And then be the exact opposite on a Saturday, other than mentally working out your commission.

As a matter of interest, do you know anything about heave, Japanese Knotweed, roof pitch, Airey houses, party wall law, stamp duty, mortgages or property law?
    • quotememiserable
    • By quotememiserable 7th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    quotememiserable
    As a matter of interest, do you know anything about heave, Japanese Knotweed, roof pitch, Airey houses, party wall law, stamp duty, mortgages or property law?
    Originally posted by robatwork
    If he does, it'll be a first for an estate agent doing accompanied viewings. As a buyer, don't think about taking advice from those people, they're just there to open the door and stop you from taking stuff.
    • TobyLarone
    • By TobyLarone 7th Jan 18, 4:36 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    TobyLarone
    It was partly me who ripped into EAs. Purely based on my own experience with them.

So on weekdays you will have to use your problem-solving mathematical brain, be accurate, straightforward and honest to your clients as an IT consultant.

And then be the exact opposite on a Saturday, other than mentally working out your commission.

As a matter of interest, do you know anything about
    heave - no
    Japanese Knotweed - yes
    roof pitch - no
    Airey houses -no
    party wall law - no
    , stamp duty -yes
    mortgages -yes
    property law - some?
    Originally posted by robatwork
    Answered above. Like I said everyone has to start somewhere. At least I've bought and im the process of selling which I bet most trainee estate agents haven't done yet themselves assuming their first job out of school/college.

I think this thread is digressing from the topic a little, this wasn't meant to be an estate agent bashing or what now feels like an interview
    • Lolly88
    • By Lolly88 7th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    Lolly88
    That thread really does rip into them, I've only moved once and I've not had a bad experience. Interesting to see how they are perceived though!
    Originally posted by TobyLarone
    I think with anything there will be good ones and bad ones. I've moved a lot and I can honestly say I've only had one bad experience with an estate agent which was in the last property I rented. They were lazy (charging me 200 for fees and referencing but yet I had to do all the work in providing references for them), they were bullying and threatening (leaving threats on my voicemail and notes pinned to my door - trying to force me into signing a new contract). Overall they were horrendous. However aside from them all the estate agents I've dealt with have been great - in my current rental a week after I moved in the agents called to check up on me and see whether I had moved in ok and told me not to hesitate to contact them if i had any concerns about the property or needed anything. I've been here a year now and they have been fab.

I've only started the process of buying a house a few months ago and all the estate agents I've had dealings with so far in the area I'm buying have been wonderful. Really polite, friendly, informative and helpful, not pressured me into seeing inhouse financial advisors - have got back to me quickly with answers to queries and been really helpful and flexible with organising viewing times which has been tricky for me as I don't live local to where I am buying. I'm still early days into the buying process but my vendors estate agents have been really good so far.

Like with most things - you will hear more about the negative experiences people will have with things than the positive. There are definitely bad ones out there but there are some good eggs too. So if you do become an estate agent be one of the good ones.
    House Fund - 35078.21
    Currently buying a house
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 7th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 33,575 Posts
    • 18,212 Thanks
    kingstreet
    Regardless of what you know, or what you THINK you know, you cannot venture any opinion about any property.

An EA is reliant on his vendor for any information and cannot make any statement on which a potential purchaser may choose to rely.

You are there ONLY to enable someone to see a property. Everything else is above your pay-grade and should be avoided.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • TobyLarone
    • By TobyLarone 7th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    TobyLarone
    Regardless of what you know, or what you THINK you know, you cannot venture any opinion about any property.

An EA is reliant on his vendor for any information and cannot make any statement on which a potential purchaser may choose to rely.

You are there ONLY to enable someone to see a property. Everything else is above your pay-grade and should be avoided.
    Originally posted by kingstreet
    Totally agree, thanks
    • TobyLarone
    • By TobyLarone 7th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    TobyLarone
    I think with anything there will be good ones and bad ones. I've moved a lot and I can honestly say I've only had one bad experience with an estate agent which was in the last property I rented. They were lazy (charging me 200 for fees and referencing but yet I had to do all the work in providing references for them), they were bullying and threatening (leaving threats on my voicemail and notes pinned to my door - trying to force me into signing a new contract). Overall they were horrendous. However aside from them all the estate agents I've dealt with have been great - in my current rental a week after I moved in the agents called to check up on me and see whether I had moved in ok and told me not to hesitate to contact them if i had any concerns about the property or needed anything. I've been here a year now and they have been fab.

I've only started the process of buying a house a few months ago and all the estate agents I've had dealings with so far in the area I'm buying have been wonderful. Really polite, friendly, informative and helpful, not pressured me into seeing inhouse financial advisors - have got back to me quickly with answers to queries and been really helpful and flexible with organising viewing times which has been tricky for me as I don't live local to where I am buying. I'm still early days into the buying process but my vendors estate agents have been really good so far.

Like with most things - you will hear more about the negative experiences people will have with things than the positive. There are definitely bad ones out there but there are some good eggs too. So if you do become an estate agent be one of the good ones.
    Originally posted by Lolly88
    Thanks, I would be the good egg. Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself is my mantra.
    • googler
    • By googler 7th Jan 18, 9:05 PM
    • 14,784 Posts
    • 9,706 Thanks
    googler
    If he does, it'll be a first for an estate agent doing accompanied viewings. As a buyer, don't think about taking advice from those people, they're just there to open the door and stop you from taking stuff.
    Originally posted by quotememiserable
    Isn't it bizarre? One poster rips into EAs purely based on their own experience, and almost encourages a hate campaign against them ... and others accuse them of dishonesty ... but on the other hand, this poster points out what they have to deal with from the general public.
    • Winter Phoenix
    • By Winter Phoenix 7th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    Winter Phoenix
    OP, I think this is the sort of thing you are looking for:

https://viewber.co.uk/
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
    • TobyLarone
    • By TobyLarone 7th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    TobyLarone
    OP, I think this is the sort of thing you are looking for:

https://viewber.co.uk/
    Originally posted by Winter Phoenix
    This looks interesting, thanks! have you ever tried it before?
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 7th Jan 18, 10:36 PM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    Arklight
    OP I think you are misunderstanding what a Saturday boy / girl (their terminology) at an estate agent is.

EA work is essentially performance based sales. As an agent you will have a low monthly salary and be expected to hit targets to earn anything like a decent salary, or even keep your job.

As EAs can't sell anything if they don't have any properties a large amount of this is building client lists. You wouldn't be let anywhere near a valuation in the beginning of your career so most of your time will be spent on a low basic, laboriously helping the senior partners and other agents hit their own targets.

Saturday people basically just show buyers around properties. They don't negotiate or have their own properties or clients.

Most people don't last long in sales, or want to.

http://agentsdiary.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

66Posts Today

1,936Users online

Martin's Twitter