Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Monkeyjim
    • By Monkeyjim 7th Jan 18, 9:13 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Monkeyjim
    Is this fraud
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:13 AM
    Is this fraud 7th Jan 18 at 9:13 AM
    Good morning

I just want to clarify wether this is fraudulent or not, I know of a young gentlemen who is claiming benefits and DLA. He has been "unable" to work for quite a few years. However he is still able to get up at 6am to go o a paid days beating on a local pheasant shoot- the shoot starts at 8amand finishes at 1630 - involves negotiating treacherous uphill slippery terrain and walking up to 15 miles - beating through thick vegetation and woodland- he gets paid 25 per day and this occurs up to three times per week for four months of the year - now he makes an issue that he can't go on the book as he receives DLA and also has blue badge and receives a vehicle via the mobility scheme so he gets cash in hand -so is this fraud? It's very blatant there are photos all over social media of him doing the activity? I was just curious as my wife has DLA and has to declare a change in circumstance although she can't do ahuthing for herself. Thanks
Page 1
    • fishybusiness
    • By fishybusiness 7th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    fishybusiness
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    What are his 'conditions' allowing him to claim DLA?
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 7th Jan 18, 9:23 AM
    • 2,783 Posts
    • 4,370 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:23 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:23 AM
    DLA isn't an out of work benefit. Even millionaires can claim DLA. David Cameron claimed it for his son.

Unless you know exactly why he claims DLA and the illnesses/conditions he has then I'm not sure how you can accuse him of fraud. By the way, the mobility part of DLA isn't just for those with a physical disability.
    • w06
    • By w06 7th Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 926 Thanks
    w06
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    He may or may not be committing fraud

However his employer is also breaking the law. They're paying considerably below even the low agricultural minimum wage.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 7th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    His right to a Blue Badge looks dubious on the face of it, but as Feral Moon said there may be underlying reasons. If you suspect fraud you can, and probably should, report it. That can be done anonymously. Search 'reporting benefit fraud'
    • Stop Watch
    • By Stop Watch 7th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Stop Watch
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    You can report it but it is very doubtful anything will be done about it. That is just the way it is, these people are know exactly what to say to all authorities and there us thousands of them! It is also the reason the reported fraud rate is so low.
    • Afraid of Kittens
    • By Afraid of Kittens 7th Jan 18, 10:42 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Afraid of Kittens
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:42 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:42 AM
    Yes this is fraud on the face of it. To get a blue badge would indicate mobility or care needs. Beating on pheasant shoots would indicate perfect mobility as this would involve many miles walking. Video or photographic evidence is what is needed. Can't believe that they pay the beaters such a low 'wage' - those participating in the shoot would have paid a very large sum sometimes 1000 to 2000 per day. I would report it with dates times etc he is working - video evidence or photos would be helpful.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 7th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 2,639 Posts
    • 4,367 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    Yes this is fraud on the face of it. To get a blue badge would indicate mobility or care needs. Beating on pheasant shoots would indicate perfect mobility as this would involve many miles walking. Video or photographic evidence is what is needed. Can't believe that they pay the beaters such a low 'wage' - those participating in the shoot would have paid a very large sum sometimes 1000 to 2000 per day. I would report it with dates times etc he is working - video evidence or photos would be helpful.
    Originally posted by Afraid of Kittens
    You don't get a blue badge for care needs.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 7th Jan 18, 1:53 PM
    • 2,783 Posts
    • 4,370 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:53 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:53 PM
    It always intrigues me when these sort of questions are posted... for the OP to know this guy gets DLA, motability car, blue badge and exactly how much he earns per day... he must know him pretty well so why not just ask him directly instead of posting on an Internet forum where nobody can actually give you the answer!
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 7th Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    My guess is that the OP is looking for support for his suspicion of benefit fraud. No matter how well he knows the person in question it's not realistic to ask them if they are making a fraudulent claim.
    On the basis of the information posted by the OP, my thoughts would be to report the suspicions. It's then down to the relevant department do decide whether to act on the report.
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 7th Jan 18, 3:50 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    paragon909
    Good morning

I just want to clarify wether this is fraudulent or not, I know of a young gentlemen who is claiming benefits and DLA. He has been "unable" to work for quite a few years. However he is still able to get up at 6am to go o a paid days beating on a local pheasant shoot- the shoot starts at 8amand finishes at 1630 - involves negotiating treacherous uphill slippery terrain and walking up to 15 miles - beating through thick vegetation and woodland- he gets paid 25 per day and this occurs up to three times per week for four months of the year - now he makes an issue that he can't go on the book as he receives DLA and also has blue badge and receives a vehicle via the mobility scheme so he gets cash in hand -so is this fraud? It's very blatant there are photos all over social media of him doing the activity? I was just curious as my wife has DLA and has to declare a change in circumstance although she can't do ahuthing for herself. Thanks
    Originally posted by Monkeyjim

Would you prefer he was depressed and got up like midday and watched this morning, jeremy kyle show etc.

Are you jealous of him or something, Feel the need to cause trouble for the guy! Leave him alone and mind your own business.
    DLA is not means tested, How do you know its DLA and not PIP hes getting?

These posts make my blood boil. Fraud is bad yes, But for your description it appears you're out to cause trouble for no reason.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 7th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Would you prefer he was depressed and got up like midday and watched this morning, jeremy kyle show etc.

Are you jealous of him or something, Feel the need to cause trouble for the guy! Leave him alone and mind your own business.

These posts make my blood boil. Fraud is bad yes, But for your description it appears you're out to cause trouble for no reason.
    Originally posted by paragon909
    If there is reason to believe fraud may be being committed it is not causing trouble for no reason. The biggest question seems to be over entitlement to Blue Badge and from what the OP says I can certainly understand why they are questioning that entitlement.
    Are you suggesting that some forms of fraudulent claim are OK and some aren't? If so I love to hear the difference.
    The OP also says the person in question is 'claiming benefits and DLA'.
    • By 45002 7th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    OP the claimant and worried about being caught ?
    It always intrigues me when these sort of questions are posted... for the OP to know this guy gets DLA, motability car, blue badge and exactly how much he earns per day... he must know him pretty well so why not just ask him directly instead of posting on an Internet forum where nobody can actually give you the answer!
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    It always intrigues me too.......
    MSE censored my signature Again, No reason given
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 7th Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    paragon909
    If there is reason to believe fraud may be being committed it is not causing trouble for no reason. The biggest question seems to be over entitlement to Blue Badge and from what the OP says I can certainly understand why they are questioning that entitlement.
    Are you suggesting that some forms of fraudulent claim are OK and some aren't? If so I love to hear the difference.
    The OP also says the person in question is 'claiming benefits and DLA'.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    I think you will find you're the one doing the suggestions by coming up with a scenario in your head and passing it off as my comment.

Seems like people on here want DLA and PIP or ESA for those who can't walk, need a carer or can't go out the house alone or do anything that involves moving ones self. Forgetting other health conditions that may entitle someone to these things.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 7th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,426 Thanks
    BorisThomson

Originally posted by paragon909
    If you had reasonable suspicion that a crime was being committed, should you mind your own business? That's what you are suggesting.

I can't think of a scenario where someone would be able to do the things described and qualify for HRM, for physical or mental health reasons. Perhaps paragon can suggest one?
    • Monkeyjim
    • By Monkeyjim 7th Jan 18, 6:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Monkeyjim
    I'm not asking for shitty replies and I can tell you that I am certainly not jealous - he is declared unfit to work due to multiple sclerosis - he claims disability livjng allowances - he was happy enough to tell the room that he couldn't be processed on the books for payment due to him being declared unfit to work as he can't walk very far or carry out independent daily living tasks - I was only querying because I was curious - I wasn't expecting a backlash - it's not my intention to do anything. - I'm only 20 and don't know that much about it
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 7th Jan 18, 6:46 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,426 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    I'm not asking for shitty replies and I can tell you that I am certainly not jealous - he is declared unfit to work due to multiple sclerosis - he claims disability livjng allowances - he was happy enough to tell the room that he couldn't be processed on the books for payment due to him being declared unfit to work as he can't walk very far or carry out independent daily living tasks - I was only querying because I was curious - I wasn't expecting a backlash - it's not my intention to do anything. - I'm only 20 and don't know that much about it
    Disability related benefits take into account that some conditions are variable, but that doesn't override the claimant's obligation to notify the DWP of an improvement in condition. What you describe would appear to be more than a variation in his condition, and should be reported. That doesn't mean he will get into trouble, but rather that his claim can be reviewed to check that he still meets the criteria.
    • Monkeyjim
    • By Monkeyjim 7th Jan 18, 6:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Monkeyjim
    Thanks I feel a little persecuted simply because i didn't understand something !!!9785;!!!65039;
    • w06
    • By w06 7th Jan 18, 6:57 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 926 Thanks
    w06
    The DLA claim might be appropriate - although being a beater 5 days a week regularly and high rate mobility DLA for physical reasons (MS) (which he'd need, or PIP, to have a motability car) seem mutually incompatible. But you can work whilst on DLA or its replacement PIP (I do)

His reason for not putting it through the books is more likely to be ESA - the benefit that people get when their illness or disability affects their ability to work. By not putting it through the books he's avoiding declaring his work and income, and declaring both are a requirement when on ESA.

Don't feel persecuted, it was an honest question
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 7th Jan 18, 7:37 PM
    • 11,940 Posts
    • 22,729 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Thanks I feel a little persecuted simply because i didn't understand something !!!9785;!!!65039;
    I agree with the previous poster. Sounds like he's probably getting ESA.. the out of work benefit... but perhaps also DLA (or its new replacement PIP). If you are posing a genuine scenario then try not to feel persecuted. There does sound the potential for incompatibility of activities you're aware of and what may be the disabilities reported in claim. It is impossible for us to determine that here with any clarity... but I would report him on the grounds that others better placed may look into it.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

307Posts Today

3,762Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin