Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 7th Jan 18, 7:14 AM
    • 421Posts
    • 5,855Thanks
    silver-oldie
    O/S daily Sunday 7th January 2018
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:14 AM
    O/S daily Sunday 7th January 2018 7th Jan 18 at 7:14 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
Page 2
    • karcher
    • By karcher 7th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    karcher

Karcher I keep mine on all day on days at home
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Nels I often do too but have decided to treat it to a wash
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Jan 18, 1:23 PM
    • 12,457 Posts
    • 40,199 Thanks
    Nelski
    Nels I often do too but have decided to treat it to a wash
    Originally posted by karcher
    mine takes itself there when its really bad I have about 5 dressing gowns but Im afraid there is only one for me
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 7th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 20,596 Thanks
    csarina2
    Afternoon ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Heavy frost, had to clear the car before setting off to DD2's on the way back hit a patch of black ice and ended up boot in the hedge with the front wheels firmly in the grass verge. Wonderful... not, a couple stopped whilst I rang green flag and they brought me home OH was on the phone , green flag had phoned him. I left him in bed asleep when I went out. The chap has just been and collected the key to see if he can get it out, may take him a while. I am hoping the damage is not too bad, it's 10 years old I will be heart broken if they write it off.

However I am ok and OH was alright once he got over the shock!!

Hoping to cook the turkey for supper, with roast spuds, carrots and peas.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 7th Jan 18, 2:33 PM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 46,414 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Oh dear Csarina, I hope you and the car are ok.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Jan 18, 2:40 PM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 15,522 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

Heavy frost, had to clear the car before setting off to DD2's on the way back hit a patch of black ice and ended up boot in the hedge with the front wheels firmly in the grass verge. Wonderful... not, a couple stopped whilst I rang green flag and they brought me home OH was on the phone , green flag had phoned him. I left him in bed asleep when I went out. The chap has just been and collected the key to see if he can get it out, may take him a while. I am hoping the damage is not too bad, it's 10 years old I will be heart broken if they write it off.

Originally posted by csarina2
    Thank goodness that you are ok csarina, that's the main thing. Hopefully the car will be ok.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 7th Jan 18, 2:47 PM
    • 10,588 Posts
    • 115,995 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Other than that, a bit of reading, and we might watch an Agatha Christie DVD once eldest has finished work. We've seen this one before but, the version I've just bought, stars Angela Lansbury as Miss Marple and that doesn't seem right, somehow
    Originally posted by pipkin71
    I agree - for me, Joan Hickson really was Miss Marple.

Csarina at least you're not injured; that's the main thing.

I'm starting to get dog-sitting requests; I have a meet'n'greet visit from two little Cavapoos to deal with next Saturday; and there's a further initial enquiry from Lurcher, just waiting to get the contact details through, then will call them to set up a meet'n'greet.

I'm dogless til 19th January though, so the bungalow seems very empty and quiet (apart from when Mr LW has his infernal radio on ).
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 6,498 Posts
    • 41,367 Thanks
    Gers

Originally posted by csarina2
    Good grief! Glad to hear you're OK and survived it all. You are going through the wars this past month or so.

I had a craving for custard this afternoon, think it's the cold weather, so I made some and am thoroughly enjoying it. There's old black and white films on Talking Pictures channel, mostly war ones just now, but still lovely to watch.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 7th Jan 18, 3:24 PM
    • 3,884 Posts
    • 46,857 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Afternoon All

I'm back! Flights were good yesterday, just too long. Sitting for 2 lots of 8 hours can't be good for anyone, although I did watch lots of films.

DD picked me up from the airport and had bought in some supplies, neighbour had come in to turn the heating up and I've just been shopping. The washing mountain can be done gradually, although I have had to do a hot wash so I have some clean pants for tomorrow!

Hope you're ok csarina, such a shock for you.
    Sorry you're still not well TA, you certainly have had a bad dose.
    Pleased to hear your leg is improving Cranky, it's been a long haul for you too.
    Hugs to all in need, sorry my brain isn't working too well this afternoon.

Take care. XX
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 7th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 20,596 Thanks
    csarina2
    I am fine and the car is not badly damaged, the grass verge stopped the car going through the hedge. Just a small dent on the boot, a broken rear light and some scratches which we may be able to polish out, if not I will get the scratch man to come and sort it at the house. I am so thankful it was not worse. As the chap was pulling it out another car skidded on exactly the same piece of road and ended up in the hedge on the other side of the road. Apparently the police were there and said there was evidence that mine was not the first car to go into the hedge at that point in the road

OH has been out of bed for an hour, just taken him back. Turkey is in the oven cooking for supper.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 7th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 21,322 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Glad to hear the car is ok Csarina,and no one hurt.
    There is a patch of black ice in front of our house.The last time it was there a car crashed into our van and just drove off Since we had the road repaired water seems to pool there,it never did before.I've gone out and put some salt down so hope that helps.It has been a lovely day but very cold.

I've got brisket in the sc and have just started some roasties off.The DGC have just gone home.DS took them for a walk to a local hilly landmark as it was so clear but little un started wheezing,the cold took his breath away so they had to get back to the car to get warm and use his inhaler.

Lainey-glad Lulu has a new home
    TA, at last light at the end of the tunnel? Fingers crossed
    Have a cosy evening folks xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • karcher
    • By karcher 7th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    karcher
    I agree - for me, Joan Hickson really was Miss Marple.

Originally posted by LameWolf
    Oh I completely agree LW.

Csarina I'm just glad you are ok.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    • 12,457 Posts
    • 40,199 Thanks
    Nelski
    csarina ...now I know tonight is the start of Dancing on Ice but I dont think you are meant to be in your car Seriously glad you are OK and the car is not too bad
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    • 15,991 Posts
    • 135,725 Thanks
    JackieO
    Oh dear all this careering around on ice chums please be careful out there as its not nice at all.
    I am just off to Dds for dinner in a minute.DGS Jack has a mouth abscess so I don't know how much food he will be able to eat blss him.
    Been watching the last two episodes of feud and I have really enjoyed the series Such a sad end though
    Right I'm off to find a scarf and hat to keep me warm along with my gloves and coat
    Take care chums
    JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th Jan 18, 5:45 PM
    • 16,267 Posts
    • 71,252 Thanks
    Judi
    'What's irritating you' thread..I do hope all is ok? x
    Yes fine thanks, just bleating about the injustice of it all.

Marriage, as you know is all about compromise.... As i said earlier, Grump bought me a new clock for the living room. The compromise is that he wants the manky clock put in the bedroom. Its not a bedroom clock for goodness sake and nothing will convince me otherwise.... its been chucked on top of the wardrobe. Nothing resides on the wardrobes other than dust. It will be moved tonight and if i have to do it, an accident will befall it. Assertiveness is not my 'thing' and isnt coming easy to me but since coming off the anti D's i want some control back in my life.

Csarina, so glad that your both ok and that the car wasnt more seriously damaged. Its been icy all day here, the temperature wasnt high enough to melt the ice.

Dressing gowns, I wear mine over my clothes in the house if i am a bit cold, i wear it over my bra and pants if its hot and when its so cold that clothes and dressing gown isnt enough i drag Grumps blue thing out wardrobe.

lots to do tonight, breakfast was late, our evening meal will be late also and then theres the packed lunches for tomorrow.

Have a good evening all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 7th Jan 18, 6:33 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Evening all
    Csarina I'm glad that you, OH and the car, are reasonably Ok
    Camelot happy to see you back after your holiday
    Well Dad was better today, although he was bored with anything on TV for more than 10 mins. and went home early after tea. I can't understand him at all and it seems like he has a split personality ( no offence to anyone intended ) However Mr Fix It will never trust him again and declared that Dad had shot his bolt once and for all .
    Wishing you all a good evening, see you tomorrow.
    nan
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 7th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 8,651 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone, just binge read Friday, Saturday & today’s posts. So here goes!

TA - glad you are feeling a bit better but do still look after yourself - plenty of fluids & keep warm.

Speky - my vote is clean shaven - don’t like having my face scratched when DH doesn’t shave!

LaineyT - hope Lulu is well and looking forward to her new digs.

Csarina2 - glad OH doing slightly better & Dr. visited instead of NP. As advised by others you can get low salt stock cubes in sm - MrA does them.

Nelski- I am sure your mum does appreciate your hard work re her finances but if not I am sending “appreciation” on her behalf.

Judi, my DH is a hardcore biker - he rides out in all weathers.

JackieO, congrats on having enough stores to see you through to next month.

HardUpHester, any chance of ‘billing’ CHS’ boss re ruined food!?!

Gintot & JackieO, burglars are scumbags. I once chased one! I was living over parents off licence when someone smashed the shop window late one night. I was still dressed so slipped on some shoes & gave chase while the ex phoned the police. Must have run at least half a mile (adrenaline was really pumping at the outrage of it all) & watched the house he entered. Police arrived & chap was arrested (only a few bottles of spirits). He was later fined & had his card marked. Not fit or brave enough now to do that again but am still quite proud of myself. Isn’t youth a wonderful thing!

dp1 & HollyHarvey - get well soon.

nmlc, glad your mum had s improving & long may that continue.

Karcher - well done with the soda bread.

Sorry to have gone on so long.

My Sunday has been quiet - continued with sorting a box of paperwork - lots of shredding. Baked the 2nd portion of the Stilton & walnut scones to go with the 2nd portion of the hm leek & potato soup - nom nom nom. Nothing left for freezer, so the freezer declutter is ongoing.

Positive vibes & get well wishes to everyone.

See you all tomorrow

Mrs SD!!!128578;
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

307Posts Today

3,762Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin