Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Want2BeDebtFree
    • By Want2BeDebtFree 6th Jan 18, 11:18 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Want2BeDebtFree
    Can I include This in a UK Letter to a UK Collection Agency?
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:18 PM
    Can I include This in a UK Letter to a UK Collection Agency? 6th Jan 18 at 11:18 PM
    Hi guys;

I am new to this forum... So Hiya guys

I live in the UK but found this wonderfully powerful YouTube video last night!! And I want to use her narrative within the the letter to the Credit Company that is saying I owe them £1.5K

youtube.com/watch?v=uidq5aZRvHU
    (OMG because I am new user it wont allow me to post the youTube thread, please just copy and paste the above link instead putting the WWW in front of it) - or use the title below -- the name of the YouTube lady is thethruthergirls
    This Simple Real Technique Makes Debt Instantly Disappear

So go to 02:11 on this video, and then watch the next four minutes of footage.

You basically ask them in writing HOW MUCH THEY PAID in FULL to obtain the debt. And you also ask for proof of this in writing. She is saying that rather than they tell you how much they paid to acquire the debt, they will just bow out, and say the debt is now paid in full. This is an American YouTube video? So is this the SAME CASE here in the UK? can I go ahead and do this in the UK on my letter to these debtors?

The debt is already with a Debt Collection Agency. And Step Change (the charity) have written to me saying as follows:

"If you want more information about why there is still an outstanding balance, please contact xxxxx Credit Services - NON BOUGHT DEBTS directly and they will be able to provide you with a breakdown of your account." (end quote).

The original debt was an overdraft by the way. Which I paid off in full.

Thanks Guys
    Last edited by Want2BeDebtFree; 06-01-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Jan 18, 11:22 PM
    • 17,239 Posts
    • 18,326 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:22 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:22 PM
    It doesn't matter what they paid for it.

What matters is what you owe and how you agree to settle it.
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 6th Jan 18, 11:31 PM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    Arleen
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:31 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:31 PM
    It's not the case in US, UK or anywhere. Maybe on Romulan. If you want to be debt free, pay your debts/go bankrupt or hide and hope they won't go to court.
    • venison
    • By venison 6th Jan 18, 11:37 PM
    • 2,152 Posts
    • 2,297 Thanks
    venison
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:37 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:37 PM
    OP were it that simple half of MSE would never be used.
    Ex Board Guide
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 6th Jan 18, 11:48 PM
    • 14,314 Posts
    • 13,519 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:48 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:48 PM
    What goes on as part of a private business arrangement has nothing to do with your liability for the debt.

In the UK the sale of debt account portfolios, although a questionable practice is perfectly legal.

The only precursor is that they must prove your liability when asked to do so.
    If they can!!!8217;t do that, they can!!!8217;t take it any further should you choose to be non cooperative.

The video you have seen should be disregarded, if you were to try that strategy here, well......let!!!8217;s just say you would not be successful.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 06-01-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Jan 18, 2:12 AM
    • 27,204 Posts
    • 10,960 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:12 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:12 AM
    If the video was true couldnt you apply that to everything purchased?

Demand a refund from shops because they paid less than you did?

Does your employer ask you how much it costs you to goto work and just pay you that, or do they pay you more than it costs to get to work?

If you buy something to sell, or buy a debt hoping the person pays up the cost of the item is not the end of it. It will cost them money to chase you.

They are gambling on getting more from you than they paid, if they dont then they will go bump or have to sell the debt on again for less than they paid.

I was expecting a FMOTL type video.

I dont have a name, i was not born with a name... oh my..
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 7th Jan 18, 5:32 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 63,582 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:32 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:32 PM
    The last line of your post says you paid off the debt in full.

Why, then, are you being chased for £1500? Is this related to the same debt or something else?

Either way, you need to send a proveit letter - there's a link to one in the stickies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter