Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jackh123
    • By jackh123 6th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jackh123
    Used car scandal
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    Used car scandal 6th Jan 18 at 8:51 PM
    Hi everyone,

So it transpires that car dealers should tell customers if the car they're interested in, is a previous lease/rental car.
    In the news:
    bristolpost.co.uk/news/motoring/drivers-second-hand-car-could-1016479
    and they have a dedicated website:
    usedcarscandal.co.uk/

Both mine and my dads car's are former lease cars, which we didn't know until we got the log book. I'm wanting to make a claim on this, but I don't trust the website; the FAQ's refer to the 'terms and conditions', but does not publish them.

Does anyone know of a best way to pursue a claim without having to use these?

Thanks,
    Jack
Page 2
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 7th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    I sold 5000 cars in my car dealing career. 4500 of them were ex lease cars.

They were brilliant, and I would always pay a premium for them over privately owned cars.

Why?

serviced on time, every time, at a main dealer, with a print out of every part fitted and every penny spent. Unlike most privately owned cars where an owner would probably skimp.

disposed of by the leasing company purely because the 24/30/36/48 month lease was up....not because of any hidden defects.

Before 20 private owners start writing how they would never do such a thing....been there, seen both sides, ex lease cars are a better product.
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 7th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 9,675 Posts
    • 7,095 Thanks
    Crabman
    Exactly - ask the questions, get the answers in writing if it bothers you that much.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    If there's nothing to hide, disclose it. What better way for a trader to significantly lower (if not eliminate) the risk of such a claim from a customer?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Jan 18, 7:49 AM
    • 17,572 Posts
    • 15,931 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Yes, I do treat my own car differently .Its not a work horse like my fleet car.
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Do you abuse any of your employer's other assets?

Yes I know some motobilty cars can be abused too
    I didn't mention the cars leased through Motability.

Its the nature of the job when you are under pressure from your boss to visit 800 house in a week more than once . We have deadlines to keep up and the company gets fined by the suppliers if they fail, hence its all pretty rapid work from 8 to 4.30 6 days a week. .
    If I cruised around carefully and slowly all day ..I get sacked !
    What's that got to do with checking the oil or tyres once a week?

I considered myself a good employee by the way.
    Apart, of course, from treating your employer and their assets with contempt.

The job is rough on cars by its very nature. Its probably one of the worst out there for testing how good a car is.
    Don't be ridiculous.

Motor manufacturers do not need to stress test their cars, just give them to a meter reading company for a while to see what breaks
    We got through Vauxhall Corsa steering racks in 20k miles alone
    How? Driving from house A to house B?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Jan 18, 7:50 AM
    • 17,572 Posts
    • 15,931 Thanks
    AdrianC
    If there's nothing to hide, disclose it. What better way for a trader to significantly lower (if not eliminate) the risk of such a claim from a customer?
    Originally posted by Crabman
    All the trader knows is who the previous RK was. That's on the V5C.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th Jan 18, 8:38 AM
    • 16,736 Posts
    • 9,917 Thanks
    motorguy
    Originally posted by Crabman
    Absolutely.

I dont know why some dealers seem to want to dance around the issue.

Mind you, i dont see how theres a claim there if you subsequently find out.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

581Posts Today

5,960Users online

Martin's Twitter