Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 6th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 133Posts
    • 626Thanks
    Litchielou
    Can I get bennifits
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    Can I get bennifits 6th Jan 18 at 8:46 PM
    My husband retired in march 2017 and at the same time I gave up my job of 15 hours a week.
    Can I claim job seekers allowance or other bennifits. I have a half share of a house value approx 35000 and 27000 in savings. I realise now I have no state pension for another 8 years.
    I am a kept woman in effect. When I was younger I stayed at home and looked after the children and cared for the parents from both sides.
Page 1
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 6th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 1,087 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    Very much doubt it with savings that high
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 6th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,426 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    Are kept women not able to work?
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 6th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    Litchielou
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    No, I have always been looked after. I have no qualifications just looked after children and parents and in-laws. I'm stupid I know.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 6th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,426 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    No, I have always been looked after. I have no qualifications just looked after children and parents and in-laws. I'm stupid I know.
    Originally posted by Litchielou
    I'm sure you're not stupid. Have you thought about care work, or something in retail or catering? What were you doing before, you said you had worked part time?
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 6th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 7,153 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    You worked before for 15 hours so what's stopping you going back to work now?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 6th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    Litchielou
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    I'm 57 no qualifications I've applied for a few care jobs no luck yet, I'm frightened that I have no savings
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 6th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 36,038 Posts
    • 46,447 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    I'm 57 no qualifications I've applied for a few care jobs no luck yet, I'm frightened that I have no savings
    You said you have 27,000 in savings above.

Keep looking for work, pub, shops, hotels.
    Visit the job centre...
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 6th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    If your earnings were above c.113 pw for the 2015/16 and 2016/17 tax years you may be able to claim Contribution based (New Style) JSA for a maximum of 6 months while you job search.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-jobseekers-allowance
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/jobseekers-allowance
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 6th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 29,386 Posts
    • 75,028 Thanks
    Mojisola
    M
    I realise now I have no state pension for another 8 years.

I am a kept woman in effect. When I was younger I stayed at home and looked after the children and cared for the parents from both sides.
    Have you asked for a pension forecast?

Did you get the child benefit in your name and so receive NI pension credits?
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 6th Jan 18, 10:09 PM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 4,343 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    My husband retired in march 2017 and at the same time I gave up my job of 15 hours a week.
    Can I claim job seekers allowance or other bennifits. I have a half share of a house value approx 35000 and 27000 in savings. I realise now I have no state pension for another 8 years.
    Why did you give up your job if you wanted to have your own money?
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 6th Jan 18, 10:22 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    Litchielou
    Hubby persuade me as he said there is lots of money now he's changed his mind so frightened
    • venison
    • By venison 6th Jan 18, 11:41 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    venison
    If you just gave up your job then JSA would probably be sanctioned meaning you wouldn't get it for x number of weeks.
    Ex Board Guide
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 7th Jan 18, 12:05 AM
    • 25,586 Posts
    • 15,115 Thanks
    xylophone
    Get a state pension statement.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

What did you work at until nine months ago?
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 7th Jan 18, 12:18 AM
    • 3,485 Posts
    • 6,470 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    You've looked after parents, kids and a husband for 30+ years, so YES you have practical qualifications ! Have a think about all the skills you've acquired and how you could use them as a carer or healthcare assistant job. Might help you in a job interview if you feel a bit more confident about your abilities.

I can't help re benefits. Just wanted to wish you well.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 7th Jan 18, 11:47 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,426 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    It sounds like your confidence is at rock bottom and you could do with some support in building that back up. Ask at your local library if they have a job club (or search for "job club location"), there will be people there that can help you with a cv (skills based if you have limited employment history), preparing for interviews and so on.

Unless there is a reason why your husband cannot work he could look also, retirement doesn't have to mean stopping work completely.
    • Nigel Stutt
    • By Nigel Stutt 8th Jan 18, 10:12 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nigel Stutt
    Its unlikely you would get any benefits with 27k in savings the max savings you can have is 6k so chances are until you are down at that level you wont be able to claim for anything.

If you cant last on your husbands retirement pay then you will have to get another job and he might also have to consider something else as well such as using a hobby/interest like gardening/cooking/dog walking etc to make some extra money on the side.

But is his retirement pay really that bad? Have you not paid off your house etc? It really depends on your circumstances as to what you need to do but most people aim to pay off their house in time for retirement and make cuts to enable them to live on their retirement income.

What did your husband do before he retired? Anyway to get some income from that going freelance?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 8th Jan 18, 10:21 AM
    • 11,277 Posts
    • 7,396 Thanks
    Caz3121
    Its unlikely you would get any benefits with 27k in savings the max savings you can have is 6k so chances are until you are down at that level you wont be able to claim for anything.
    Originally posted by Nigel Stutt
    just to correct that...
    you can claim contribution based benefits with any amount of savings (dependent on NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years)
    you can receive income based benefits if you have savings under 16k but between 6k and 16k there is a deduction to the benefits

In the OPs situation, I agree there is likely no benefits due

OP - have you asked your previous employer if it is possible to go back?
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 8th Jan 18, 6:45 PM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Originally posted by Nigel Stutt
    Nigel,

I'm afraid you post is misleading and incorrect .

See posts 9 & 10. As the OP has been working she may be eligible for contribution-based benefits.

Also the max savings for income based benefits is 16k not 6k .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,247Posts Today

6,613Users online

Martin's Twitter