Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SarahandMo
    • By SarahandMo 6th Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SarahandMo
    Double price Heating and hot water
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    Double price Heating and hot water 6th Jan 18 at 8:38 PM
    Hi MSE,

How can I challenge my heating and hot water charges from the supplier to my building? My building manager changed supplier without informing tenants and now our fees have doubled compared to the last provider. There are multiple standing charges, which are sometimes increasing our bills by 4x the price (we spent £6.42 on heating but have also been charged £17.12 on scheme management fees and such like). We’ve called them up and the provider have given ridiculous reasons why the charges are passed on to us such as heating loss from the building (which has nothing to do with these fees). Is there anything we can do?

Sarah
Page 1
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 6th Jan 18, 8:42 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:42 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:42 PM
    Hi MSE,

How can I challenge my heating and hot water charges from the supplier to my building? My building manager changed supplier without informing tenants and now our fees have doubled compared to the last provider. There are multiple standing charges, which are sometimes increasing our bills by 4x the price (we spent £6.42 on heating but have also been charged £17.12 on scheme management fees and such like). We’ve called them up and the provider have given ridiculous reasons why the charges are passed on to us such as heating loss from the building (which has nothing to do with these fees). Is there anything we can do?

Sarah
    Originally posted by SarahandMo
    You have to speak to the building manager if they are responsible for appointing the supplier
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 7th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 5,909 Posts
    • 3,643 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    Hi MSE,

Sarah
    Hi - welcome to the forum. Check what legal rights your Building Manager has to choose your supplier. This should be covered in your lease. See the advice here:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/how-switch-energy-supplier-and-shop-better-deal/how-switch-energy-supplier-if-you-re-tenant
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 7th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    • 2,641 Posts
    • 1,717 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    Is this a block of flats where the heating is a communal system ? If so the management will quite rightly be adding to the suppliers costs the cost of replacing boiler, maintenance etc which generally as a private householders we don't do in assessing our heating costs.

Are you also submetered for electricity ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • SarahandMo
    • By SarahandMo 22nd Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SarahandMo
    • 22nd Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    • 22nd Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    Hi Robin9,

Thanks so much for your response. I understand why it might be higher than a normal flat as it is centralised, however what’s difficult is that I’m sure the previous provider also factored in these costs. We are submetered for electricity and water (the centralised one is for heating and hot water only). It sounds like I should try and see if I have any rights as a tenant to choose this. Thanks again!

Sarah
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 22nd Jan 18, 9:41 AM
    • 5,909 Posts
    • 3,643 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 22nd Jan 18, 9:41 AM
    • 22nd Jan 18, 9:41 AM
    Hi Robin9,

Thanks so much for your response. I understand why it might be higher than a normal flat as it is centralised, however what’s difficult is that I’m sure the previous provider also factored in these costs. We are submetered for electricity and water (the centralised one is for heating and hot water only). It sounds like I should try and see if I have any rights as a tenant to choose this. Thanks again!

Sarah

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/05/district-heating-fuel-bill-regulation
    • SarahandMo
    • By SarahandMo 23rd Jan 18, 9:16 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SarahandMo
    • 23rd Jan 18, 9:16 AM
    • 23rd Jan 18, 9:16 AM
    Thanks for sharing Hengus! It’s sad to see that it’s affecting so many other people (in London)
    Sarah
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

577Posts Today

6,540Users online

Martin's Twitter