Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pma13
    • By pma13 6th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 130Posts
    • 16Thanks
    pma13
    0 WOW
    USA ...it's time
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    0 WOW
    USA ...it's time 6th Jan 18 at 6:49 PM
    It's finally time to book a holiday been saving for what seems an eternity for a house !! And now ready to finally have a holiday a proper holiday !! We want to go to the good old USA. There will be me hubby, DD 15 and DS 9 so I think pretty good age. Obviously being new homeowners ( well next week weeks) I darent be too extravagant and although I understand going in school holidays is going be more expensive I don't want be too disruptive as it's GCSEs next year. so thinking xmas, I have friends who went years ago and advised it was a magical time to go. Any tips ? Iam having difficulty finding flights ? Or any good agent / websites recommendations to go via ? Many thanksv
Page 1
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 6th Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    Firstly congratulations on your new house. Re the USA, you don't say where but was the hint 'magical' meaning Florida? There are many holiday destinations in the USA inc Florida, California, NY, Vegas, Hawaii to name a few.

The trouble with visiting the USA in Winter is that the weather is so variable and can change quickly. Is it a warm destination you want to visit? Flight prices will also rise for travel over Christmas, travel and return before Christmas will usually be cheaper but that will take in part of the school term unfortunately.

Have you agreed a budget for your trip? Major airlines don't usually publish fares and schedules till about 11 months out so that is probably why you can't find prices.

There are good guides on this forum, it is worth checking those out. Then if you decide on a budget and dates and if you want to DIY or with an agent. Many of the well known high street agents will put a package together for you.

I do like to holiday shortly before Christmas but I am too much of a skin flint to pay out the inflated prices to be there at Christmas, even now my kids have left school.

Good luck.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 6th Jan 18, 7:52 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,422 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:52 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:52 PM
    Good old USA? Hmmn, ok.

Where would you like to go? It's a huge country, around 3 million square miles.

How much do you wish to spend?

How long would you like to go for, and what are you looking to do?

Difficulty finding flights, why?
    • photome
    • By photome 6th Jan 18, 8:33 PM
    • 13,172 Posts
    • 8,723 Thanks
    photome
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:33 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:33 PM
    Start with skyscanner.

Put in where you want to fly from and to

Donít forget your ESTA

Donít forget insurance as soon as you book
    • pma13
    • By pma13 6th Jan 18, 11:07 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    pma13
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:07 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:07 PM
    Apologies yes a bit vague...I meant Florida. I wasn't too fussed on warm weather as I'd been told that there's so much to do but after a bit more research and talking to hubby he wants the sun !! I was budgeting for 4000 for accommodation and flights ? And then I know there's park tickets etc does anyone have any recommendations for who to book through if you wish to go via an agent?
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 6th Jan 18, 11:22 PM
    • 5,074 Posts
    • 3,651 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:22 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:22 PM
    BTW if you are thinking christmas and you said you wanted somewhere warm, December isn't warm. High of about 16c and lows of about 11c.

Obviously this depends what your idea of warm weather is, just something to keep in mind.
    I am cold anything below 25c lol
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 7th Jan 18, 12:59 AM
    • 4,708 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:59 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:59 AM
    Iíve been in Miami and Key West for the past two weeks and itís been freezing! I would never come back to America at this time of year, very disappointing
    travelover
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 7th Jan 18, 7:34 AM
    • 14,126 Posts
    • 18,703 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:34 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:34 AM
    It!!!8217;s winter. It!!!8217;s meant to be cold!
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 7th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    steve1500
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    Also check out the www.thedibb.co.uk

If you have Tesco CC vouchers can help towards flights
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 9th Jan 18, 12:28 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Apologies yes a bit vague...I meant Florida. I wasn't too fussed on warm weather as I'd been told that there's so much to do but after a bit more research and talking to hubby he wants the sun !!
    As above, Florida in the winter can be "disappointing" weather wise.

We have friends resident over there and thay've had to put on their heating (uncommon) due to the recent cold snap.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 9th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 24,034 Posts
    • 62,611 Thanks
    pollypenny
    We!!!8217;ve been to Florida in February on many occasions. There is a risk of the odd cool day, but generally around 70f.

It!!!8217;s expensive in the spring, though because of the 'snowbirds'.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 9th Jan 18, 3:23 PM
    • 9,217 Posts
    • 14,221 Thanks
    worried jim
    Apologies yes a bit vague...I meant Florida. I wasn't too fussed on warm weather as I'd been told that there's so much to do but after a bit more research and talking to hubby he wants the sun !! I was budgeting for 4000 for accommodation and flights ? And then I know there's park tickets etc does anyone have any recommendations for who to book through if you wish to go via an agent?
    Originally posted by pma13
    Was in Orlando in November and it was cold and foggy. Even had the heating on at night some evenings. We could sit by the pool on the nicer days from 10:30 to aaprox 15:30 but then the temp started to drop. Have been in early October and the weather was lovely. Great place, lot of driving, covered 1750 miles in two weeks.

Tickets- https://www.floridatix.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7dHSBRDEARIsAJhAHwjZkc8S6t0zu_2q9kN rHw6AIhKwu4teTmpJ9Cqu8e3jTNNWN_41UZwaAm8oEALw_wcB
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • sandsy
    • By sandsy 9th Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    sandsy
    Flights for Christmas will only start being released in the middle of this month, i.e about 11 months ahead of time if you're looking at scheduled airlines.

As above, I'd definitely recommend registering on thedibb forums for all the best tips on doing Disney. It really helped us to plan our time out properly and make the most of our trip.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 10th Jan 18, 6:55 AM
    • 3,186 Posts
    • 8,086 Thanks
    tori.k
    It is very hit or miss weather wise Feb 2013 the weather didn't drop below mid 20s for the time we were there 2016 it didn't make it above 20, I was glad I had my coat. We still had a great time, but it's something to consider if your prepaying for water parks, Discovery cove and the likes.
    Have a great time.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Mortgage Free (stage 3) 140000/ 1500
    Save 12k in 2018 #76 3000/6000
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 10th Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    wazza99
    Book your flights as stand alone, book a villa or two ! via many of the owners websites, car hire again independently. We used to take the two kids every year for 7 years, all over Florida, Flighst we're usually <£1000, villas £400 a week, car hire about £400, usually sub £2500k for all 4 :-) ofc theme parks excluded but Florida does have lots of natural beauty just waiting to be explored. Search a field for natural swimming holes, kayaking, long empty golden beaches.....not saying dont do the parks but intermix with the "state parks"

Ps over the many years we found the weather even in summer to be very unstable and unpredictable as much as its called the Sunshine state its not a place i'd ever go for the weather (sun) ever thought about California ? has the parks as well and much better climate, air fares no more expensive.
    Last edited by wazza99; 10-01-2018 at 9:09 AM.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 10th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    • 9,188 Posts
    • 13,328 Thanks
    meer53
    Theme parks + cold weather = miserable holiday for me. Absolutely love Florida, we've been many times but never in winter. It's too much money to spend to have to worry about the weather. If you're not planning on doing the parks then might be worth it but there are better places in the USA to go than Florida.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,891Users online

Martin's Twitter