Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Snad86
    • By Snad86 6th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Snad86
    Engraved Engagement Ring Problem
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    Engraved Engagement Ring Problem 6th Jan 18 at 4:08 PM
    Hi there,

I really hope you will be able to help me.

My fianc! proposed to me on Christmas day but had to do it with a "pretend" ring as the ring he ordered for me wasn't delivered on time.

We eventually received the ring on the 31st on December (when the delivery was guaranteed before Christmas) and we both were really disappointed.
    I will list a few of the problems :
    - the black diamond is grey, looks scratched, dull and really flawed (when the certificate says it is AAA), not the right shape (supposed to be Princess cut but only look squarish)
    - the mount of the diamond is off center
    - the size is wrong
    - what is supposed to be an engraving looks like a scribble (unreadable)

My fiance called them to ask for an exchange. I would have liked a brand new ring, my size that would actually look like the photo.
    The guy on the phone said that they can't guaranty that it will look exactly like the photo but that they are always trying to get it as close as possible to the photo. Also they will not give me a new ring but only repair this one.
    It is 2 and a half size too big and as diamond going all around it (which is really hard to resize).
    He then asked for a full refund and suggested that we will get the ring elsewhere.
    They told him that they have a policy stating that if the ring has been engraved, they can't refund you cash but only give you a store voucher.

I don't trust this company at all and won't get my engagement ring from them as my ring doesn't look like what it is suppose to so I don't want to waste time and money anymore.

I hope you can help.

Regards
Page 1
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 6th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    Congratulations

For the first 30 days after receiving the product your fiance has a 'short term right to reject'.

Not obliged to accept a replacement or repair, providing he can demonstrate that the ring doesn't confirm to contract.

Given they are being difficult, may have a battle.

How did he pay?
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 6th Jan 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:11 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:11 PM
    There's no such thing as 'AAA' as far as diamonds are concerned, so the "certificate" probably isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Given the ring is the wrong size and the engraving done poorly the the seller is in breach of contract and you can reject for a refund. That's assuming the supplier is UK-based?

If he paid by card he can contact his card issuer for a chargeback.

You are correct that it will be very difficult to resize the ring so a repair doesn't sound like a viable option.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 6th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 9,957 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    A princess cut is square

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_cut

Black diamonds can be quite grey.

The best thing to do is to get your money back then go to a good, independent jeweller to find out more about what you are buying and about the suitability of the stones as some are more likely to be damaged than others. Black diamonds are that colour for a reason - they are highly impure and therefore have totally different characteristics, even compared to other coloured diamonds. It is also the reason they are a fraction of the price of other diamonds.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 6th Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    • 12,221 Posts
    • 8,255 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    Is the ring the wrong size because it doesn't fit or because the size was correctly ordered and incorrectly delivered?
    • Snad86
    • By Snad86 7th Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Snad86
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    He paid by card
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 7th Jan 18, 11:58 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:58 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:58 AM
    He paid by card
    Originally posted by Snad86
    Credit or debit?
    • Snad86
    • By Snad86 7th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Snad86
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    it was a credit card
    • photome
    • By photome 7th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    • 13,183 Posts
    • 8,736 Thanks
    photome
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    Op you would get more help if you answered questions with detail
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 7th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    Contact credit card provider and submit a 'section 75' claim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,017Posts Today

7,326Users online

Martin's Twitter