Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 6th Jan 18, 5:59 PM
    • 3,585Posts
    • 2,275Thanks
    glider3560
    People who put non-recyclables in the recycling bin
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:59 PM
    People who put non-recyclables in the recycling bin 6th Jan 18 at 5:59 PM
    Since moving into a block of flats with a communal bin store, I've been astonished at some of the stuff people put into the recycling bins.

This week, I've seen the following:
    • Christmas tree decorations (tinsel, star, baubles), all in really good condition
    • Food waste inside a bag for life
    • Loose bags for life that aren't even damaged, presumably they don't understand the concept and there's a huge sign above the bin saying not to put plastic bags in the recycling
    • Polystyrene padding from boxes and other packaging stuff that isn't cardboard
    • Off-cuts from carpet and a coconut door mat
    • Glass, when there's a separate bin for glass
    • Half a McDonald's burger and some fries
    • Used nappies ()
    I know life's too short to worry, but it does annoy me that this contaminated rubbish causes more cost to the council (which we all have to pay for). Why can't these people just take a few moments to think before they throw. The normal waste bin is right next to the recycling, so it's not like there is any extra effort.

Page 1
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 6th Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    • 24,419 Posts
    • 96,699 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    Are the normal bins full? They usually are after Christmas in flats.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 35,721 Posts
    • 132,447 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    Very often it doesn't just affect the recycling.........in my area, the communal recycling bins won't be emptied if they contain contaminants, and then it's down to the residents to organise taking it to the tip.

So a few inconsiderate/lazy/ignorant people cause a lot of inconvenience to the other residents.
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 7th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 7,097 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    I've got communal bins and it drives me nuts. Too many people are ignorant, lazy or just stupid with regards to recycling. I think many view recyclable items as a different type of rubbish and simply don't understand the whole process of recycling.

Part of the problem is a lack of instruction. Wheelie bins were introduced here a few years ago. Unfortunately the leaflets explaining what goes in which bins were delivered about three weeks before the bins. Disinterested residents who knew nothing about the new bins viewed the leaflets as no use as they don't recycle so binned them. Now the bins are here there is no advice on what goes where. I've asked for more leaflets to pin up in the hallway, none have been supplied.
    Last year I met someone from the council putting stickers on the underside of the recycling bin lids explaining what goes in that bin. The stickers wouldn't stick to plastic and were falling off almost immediately.

I view the correct use of recycling bins as an urban IQ test.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 07-01-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 35,721 Posts
    • 132,447 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    I've got communal bins and it drives me nuts. Too many people are ignorant, lazy or just stupid with regards to recycling. I think many view recyclable items as a different type of rubbish and simply don't understand the whole process of recycling.

Part of the problem is a lack of instruction. Wheelie bins were introduced here a few years ago. Unfortunately the leaflets explaining what goes in which bins were delivered about three weeks before the bins. Disinterested residents who knew nothing about the new bins viewed the leaflets as no use as they don't recycle so binned them. Now the bins are here there is no advice on what goes where. I've asked for more leaflets to pin up in the hallway, none have been supplied.
    Last year I met someone from the council putting stickers on the underside of the recycling bin lids explaining what goes in that bin. The stickers wouldn't stick to plastic and were falling off almost immediately.

Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Could you photocopy the leaflets you have and stick those up? I know it means a pain for you to do, but it might help.
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 7th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 4,275 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    The same people that don't recycle are probably the same ones that throw their litter away in the street. I remember talking to a guy once, he was just finishing eating a takaway and chucked it over his shoulder. I said ..... there's a bin there, 5yds away . His answer... It keeps someone in a job. picking it up.
    The people who don't bother to recycle properly have the same attitude ....... someone else will sort it all out. I'm not sure telling binmen not to empty contaminated bins, is the answer. All that happens then is these people start to use their neighbours bins.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 7th Jan 18, 12:03 PM
    • 7,097 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:03 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:03 PM
    Could you photocopy the leaflets you have and stick those up? I know it means a pain for you to do, but it might help.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    No scanner so that hasn't happened yet. I'm tempted to add to the leaflets,

Prove you're not stupid, use the right bins.

A cardboard box full of crap does not go in the paper/card bin.

Ask your carer to explain what a plastic bag is made of.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 7th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 3,990 Posts
    • 14,703 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    The same people that don't recycle are probably the same ones that throw their litter away in the street. I remember talking to a guy once, he was just finishing eating a takaway and chucked it over his shoulder. I said ..... there's a bin there, 5yds away . His answer... It keeps someone in a job. picking it up.
    The people who don't bother to recycle properly have the same attitude ....... someone else will sort it all out. I'm not sure telling binmen not to empty contaminated bins, is the answer. All that happens then is these people start to use their neighbours bins.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    Those are the same people that complain the most if a dog owner doesn't pick up their dogs mess

Which do they think will rot down first?
    The dog crap ar the takaway container.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 81.7
    Total so far - 1915.5
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 7th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    I live in a flat and this is a huge problem.

Although each flat has their own wheelie bin with the door number painted on, they seem to go missing or get shuffled around. I think it's just the bin collectors not putting them back in the exact same spot.

Another issue is that bins get full very quickly. I live alone so it's enough for me but a family of 4 their bin will fill up quicker and when that happens you find that people put anything in any bin with space.

The recycle bin is just treated as an extension of a wheelie bin.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 7th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 26,118 Posts
    • 35,100 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    And then they complain when councils send out litter men to give a fine to litterers. Problem with them seems to be they give a fine to the wrong people, parents of babies who drop stuff, people feeding birds (where not prohibited) etc.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 12,346 Posts
    • 16,652 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Then there's the issue of people who move from living in one council's area to another - not all councils have identical recycling guidelines.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • prowla
    • By prowla 7th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 9,826 Posts
    • 7,928 Thanks
    prowla
    One of my neighbours bin is still outside, with a notice on it; I can see that there is cardboard in a plastic bin bag inside it; I don't know if that's what they didn't like, or if there was something else.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 5,332 Posts
    • 7,324 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    And have it translated into 58 different languages.....Including Welsh.
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 7th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 4,076 Posts
    • 8,461 Thanks
    uberalles

Which do they think will rot down first?
    The dog crap
    ar the takaway container.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Very true. But it is still no excuse not to pick up the dog mess.

Nor should the bags then be hung on trees, as some people obviously do. Disgusting.

I type as a dog owner too.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 7th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 3,585 Posts
    • 2,275 Thanks
    glider3560
    Then there's the issue of people who move from living in one council's area to another - not all councils have identical recycling guidelines.
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    I moved recently from somewhere that 80% of my waste could be recycled (including frozen veg bags, plastic meat containers, cling film, food waste, aerosols, even batteries) to somewhere that less than 30% of my rubbish can be recycled. The council have attached large signs to the bins showing (in pictorial form) what can and can't be recycled. People still ignore them.

• Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 10th Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    • 3,990 Posts
    • 14,703 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    one of my neighbours had a plastic bag full of cardboard in her garden recycling bin this morning and I have just heard her complaining to someone that the bin men never emptied it, serves her bloomin well right
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 81.7
    Total so far - 1915.5
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 10th Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 5,916 Thanks
    jack_pott
    I seem to recall that contamination was one of the reasons China gave for their recent decision to ban waste imports.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 10th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 3,733 Thanks
    k3lvc
    Recycling in our area is a mockery - details were printed on the bins themselves but subsequently changed via a mailshot so bin a) says plastics only but subsequent leaflet says plastics and metals

In reality it make !!!!!! all difference as the contractors come along and dump it all in one area of the truck before it's then (allegedly) sorted at the receiving depot
    • DeputyDawgg
    • By DeputyDawgg 10th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    DeputyDawgg

Originally posted by Norman Castle
    So the stickers are rubbish?

Can they be recycled??
    • Dr.Rock
    • By Dr.Rock 11th Jan 18, 12:07 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    Dr.Rock
    Since moving into a block of flats with a communal bin store, I've been astonished at some of the stuff people put into the recycling bins.

This week, I've seen the following:
    • Christmas tree decorations (tinsel, star, baubles), all in really good condition
    • Food waste inside a bag for life
    • Loose bags for life that aren't even damaged, presumably they don't understand the concept and there's a huge sign above the bin saying not to put plastic bags in the recycling
    • Polystyrene padding from boxes and other packaging stuff that isn't cardboard
    • Off-cuts from carpet and a coconut door mat
    • Glass, when there's a separate bin for glass
    • Half a McDonald's burger and some fries
    • Used nappies ()
    I know life's too short to worry, but it does annoy me that this contaminated rubbish causes more cost to the council (which we all have to pay for). Why can't these people just take a few moments to think before they throw. The normal waste bin is right next to the recycling, so it's not like there is any extra effort.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    Because a few moments is more than these people can spare out of their busy schedules of thinking about only themselves and things that directly concern them.
    In all honestly, very few people care about recycling and once something is of no use to them it can be thrown anywhere. Out of sight out of (tiny) mind.
    That shouldn't discourage those who actually do give a [adjective of your choice] about the planet and other people from recycling, reusing and conversing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

289Posts Today

3,707Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin