Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chssvl
    • By chssvl 6th Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    chssvl
    Possible to haggle over price for new-build flat?
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    Possible to haggle over price for new-build flat? 6th Jan 18 at 5:39 PM
    Hi all. New to the forum.

I!!!8217;m currently doing a lot of !!!8220;desk research!!!8221; as we!!!8217;re thinking about buying our first property this year. I!!!8217;ve seen a few new-build flats (i.e. brand new) which are listed at a bit over £500k. It would be great if I could agree a price of no more than £500k, especially as I would beneft from the Stamp Duty relief for first time buyers. However, I!!!8217;m not sure if it is actually possible to haggle over the price of a brand new flat or whether you are just expected to pay the asking price. Anyone have any tips? Thanks
Page 1
    • gazzabboi
    • By gazzabboi 6th Jan 18, 5:53 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    gazzabboi
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:53 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:53 PM
    £500k for a flat. Must have more money than sense
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 12,509 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    Hi all. New to the forum.

I’m currently doing a lot of “desk research” as we’re thinking about buying our first property this year. I’ve seen a few new-build flats (i.e. brand new) which are listed at a bit over £500k. It would be great if I could agree a price of no more than £500k, especially as I would beneft from the Stamp Duty relief for first time buyers. However, I’m not sure if it is actually possible to haggle over the price of a brand new flat or whether you are just expected to pay the asking price. Anyone have any tips? Thanks
    Originally posted by chssvl
    Of course you can try to haggle.

If you’re the only person interested, you may well get a price reduction.

If they have a list of 20 interested parties, then they’re unlikely to accept.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 7th Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    • 9,044 Posts
    • 5,392 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    £500000 would buy a lovely 4 bedroomed detached house with garage/s and large gardens, here.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 7th Jan 18, 12:48 AM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 12,509 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:48 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:48 AM
    £500000 would buy a lovely 4 bedroomed detached house with garage/s and large gardens, here.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I never understand these posts.

She doesn’t live ‘here’ she lives ‘there’ her job is ‘there’ her family and friends are ‘there’ her job wouldn’t pay half as much (probably) as ‘here’
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 7th Jan 18, 6:09 AM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    Mickygg
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:09 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:09 AM
    I never understand these posts.

She doesn’t live ‘here’ she lives ‘there’ her job is ‘there’ her family and friends are ‘there’ her job wouldn’t pay half as much (probably) as ‘here’
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    I totally agree. Such posts are ridiculous and have no relevance to the question being asked.

I think these people are just bored!

OP of course you can haggle. It does depend on how new is the development, how many have sold, how many do they have to sell.

Work out what you can afford, what you want to pay and then go in. Just be prepared if they say offers over £500k they may just mean exactly that but you will never know unless you try!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,454Users online

Martin's Twitter