Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • northernlad1984
    • By northernlad1984 6th Jan 18, 4:31 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    northernlad1984
    Married but applying for mortgage on own and based on expenditure for one person
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:31 PM
    Married but applying for mortgage on own and based on expenditure for one person 6th Jan 18 at 4:31 PM
    I am married and looking to buy a property. My wife is currently registered as living with her mother while she completes her university studies over the next year or so.

I want to know, if I apply for the mortgage in my own name, if it's possible for the mortgage lender to base the size of the loan they will give on monthly expenditure covering one person (eg as if I was not married) rather than two?

In the application process I will obviously say I am married, but that only one person will be living at the property, and that my wife will be supported by her mother.

Has anyone tried something like this and has it worked? I'm aware the bank might find this unusual - what sort of questions am I likely to be asked to verify that I don't / won't be supporting my wife and she won't be living at the property?

If at some point my wife moves in and changes her address to mine, am I required to tell them and/or will the bank be able to spot it on the electoral roll etc? I can't imagine banks monitor who is living at every property they've lent against. Could this be a problem, or given that I've got the loan already is it likely to be ok as long as I keep up the monthly repayments?
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 6th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    • 17,015 Posts
    • 8,909 Thanks
    ACG
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    Most lenders use ONS figures, meaning you will get assessed as a married couple regardless of where your wife lives.

Do you think an underwriter is going to believe your wife does not and will not live with you for the duration of your Mortgage (20-30 years?).

Also you will probably find your options are very limited, single application for married couples does not sit well with many lenders.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • northernlad1984
    • By northernlad1984 6th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    northernlad1984
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply.

On your last point, do you know why it does not sit well with many lenders?

I own a property overseas and much of my wealth is tied up in that, but I probably can't sell that until the end of 2018 (due to the tenancy contract for that property expiring then, as does the mortgage fix for which there's a hefty fee for ending early).

I realise they won't believe my wife won't live with me for 30 years, it's just for the next year until I can sell that property and then hopefully remortgage by injecting the resulting equity into my UK property, or trade up.

The plan is currently for her to live with her mother until she completes her studies in a year or so, but am also keen to know what the options would be for her to move in before that.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 6th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 17,015 Posts
    • 8,909 Thanks
    ACG
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    You are a family unit, why would you buy a house on your own? It is not normal. If it is not normal, then lenders will assume you are trying to avoid something - either get round affordability rules or keep her bad credit away from the lender. It would also be assumed that as a family unit whats yours is hers and vice versa, so the deposit would normally be seen as joint. Not every lender views it like that, but many do.

You take a Mortgage out for say 25 years, she plans to move in in 1 year, meaning you want them to underwrite the Mortgage based on the first year, not the next 24.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Jan 18, 11:02 PM
    • 6,598 Posts
    • 13,782 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:02 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:02 PM
    You will have to sign a document saying no one over the age of 18 will be living there and providing you do that I don!!!8217;t suppose the bank will worry. Is your wife happy to have no financial interest in the house? Usually the size of loan is based on house value and income.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 6th Jan 18, 11:19 PM
    • 58,876 Posts
    • 52,204 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:19 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:19 PM
    Has anyone tried something like this and has it worked? I'm aware the bank might find this unusual - what sort of questions am I likely to be asked to verify that I don't / won't be supporting my wife and she won't be living at the property?
    Originally posted by northernlad1984
    Lenders aren't going to change their internal policies to accomodate you. Your wife is a financial dependent. That's all that matters.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 7th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    • 4,531 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    Your wife is never going to move in with you when you buy your house???? If not, she is not your wife, if she is, she is a dependant
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

581Posts Today

5,960Users online

Martin's Twitter