Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cazs
    • By cazs 6th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    • 515Posts
    • 212Thanks
    cazs
    Dehumidifier recs
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    Dehumidifier recs 6th Jan 18 at 4:08 PM
    Had my Eco Air Simple 122 dehumidifier for pretty much exactly 4 years, but the unit started making very loud unhappy noises yesterday and I think the motor just burnt out 10 mins ago as it is now completely unresponsive.
    Most helpfully timed when I've the weekend washing to dry.

I need to get a replacement...

The above was a Which Best Buy in 2013 but instead of ordering the same again wanted to see if there are any newer ones which are better. It would be particularly helpful if you had used this one and bought another one since and could compare..

Primary use is drying washing as no garden.

Thanks
Page 1
    • patman99
    • By patman99 6th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 8,206 Posts
    • 9,671 Thanks
    patman99
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    Mine stopped working before Christmas, so I purchased an Ebac PowerDri.

It is a compressor based unit, so is not as quiet as the peltier unit I had before, but it is really good at removing moistre.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of 1,000 challenge - 1000/ 1000 (that's 100%)

3-6 month EF 631.65/3600 (that's 10 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than 197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • stator
    • By stator 6th Jan 18, 11:12 PM
    • 6,299 Posts
    • 4,188 Thanks
    stator
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:12 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:12 PM
    I generally just buy a cheap proper dehumidifier, so around 100.
    Expensive ones seem to last a few years, but so do cheap ones, so why buy expensive?

If you need one that is quiet then I guess not a compressor type.
    Do you also need any other features? like a humidistat?
    It may be cheaper in the long run to buy a humidistat plug switch and then just get a normal dehumidifier, as the plug will outlast the dehumidifier.

Check your local homebase, some stores have very good clearance deals at the moment, but they are local deals.
    Keep an eye on HotUKDeals website, I often see good deals for dehumidifiers on there, eg the ALDI one that was only 70. I've got one and it works nicely for such a cheap unit.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 7th Jan 18, 1:10 AM
    • 8,047 Posts
    • 19,447 Thanks
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:10 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:10 AM
    I,d second the Ebac. I have two of these and they have never failed me despite being over 8 years old. They are great for drying washing overnight too and very efficient at removing water from wherever needed.They may be slightly more expensive but well worth it. A friend of mine has had three different units in the time I've had mine, so mine have definitely worked out cheaper in the long run.Ebac are also designed to extract water in our cold temperatures in winter something a lot of other makes don't do well. A lot of dehumidifiers are only designed to work at warmer temperatures. Something that is'nt helpfull in our cold weather.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 7th Jan 18, 1:19 AM
    • 1,763 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:19 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:19 AM

Got one of these in November to replace m old dehumid, its louder despite the claim to be quiet, but it shifts a lot of moisture, I sometimes put clothes on hangers above it before I go to work and the are dry 8 hrs later so very useful for laundry. 95 from a Tesco partner seller.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/vonhaus-12l-dehumidifier-for-homes-low-noise/787-2333.prd?skuId=787-2333&pageLevel=sku&sc_cmp=eml_auto_ready_to_collec t
    • Clairabella
    • By Clairabella 7th Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Clairabella
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    We have a Meaco Zambezi - Which recommended. It is brilliant at drying the washing and also quickly clearing the bathroom of condensation after showers. It not noisey but you can certainly hear it in use. I did a lot of research before I bought it and have no regrets.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

3,450Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin