Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • suzymp
    • By suzymp 6th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    suzymp
    I've been stupid listening to "ignore it, it will go away' Now I'm in a panic!
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    I've been stupid listening to "ignore it, it will go away' Now I'm in a panic! 6th Jan 18 at 4:06 PM
    On 14.05.16, I had a hire car as mine was hit and written off. I parked for 3hrs 18m in Matalan. Never noticing there was a time limit of 3hrs and I spent over 150 pounds too! The hire company passed my details on to VCS who have been sending me letters. I very stupidly listened to various people who kept saying, 'ignore the letters they will never do anything' I know now that was the wrong thing to do and am wondering what to do now. I am being worn down now by letters and at point numerous telephone calls on my home number. I just really want this to go away and have ready the links but feel more confused than ever. Please if anyone can just read the timeline of events/letters and just give me a bit of advice I would be really grateful.

14.05.16 - Overparked by 18mins.

30.06.16 - Letter from VCS with photograph of car entry and exit - Parking Charge Notice - 100 or 60 if I paid immediately.

14.09.16 - Letter stating its been passed to VCS legal team now owing 154

14.09.16 - Letter from BW Legal asking for 154, with 16 days to pay or client will commence legal proceedings.

13.10.16 - Final Notice letter from BW Legal demanding payment of 154 in 17 days or client will commence County Court Proceedings

There is a County Court sub heading threatening CCJ and quoting ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis (2015) UKSC 67

02.11.16 - 'Letter of Claim' letter from BW Legal stating instructions by VCS to commence legal proceedings. Asking for 240.77

18.11.16 - Notice of outstanding Parking Charge Notice letter received. Saying pay 233.03 by 5th December 2016 or client may instruct them to take legal action.

21.12.17 - 'Notice of Pending County Court Claim' letter received, though letter not received until 27th and giving me until 29th to state reasons for non payment. I very, very stupidly, wrote back to BW Legal saying... i was unaware of parking restrictions, had spent nearly 200 pounds in store (i have receipts) so Matalan cannot have made a loss by my overstaying, telling them we were grieving a family loss after caring for parents with Altzheimers and asking if the matter could be resolved without further recourse....

04.01.18 - Received County Court Claim Form N1SDT from County Court Business Centre, St Katharines House. The Particulars of Claim heading states,...'100 for monies due in respect of PCN and includes statutory intrerest and 54 contractual costs'

05.01.18 - Received 'Notice of County Court Claim Iussed' letter from BW legal advising i will get a letter from Northampton County Court as I have failed to make repayments . the amount is now 240.92. They state they may enter a CCJ on 23rd January if I do not contact them or reply to County Court Claim. There are numerous pages one being Acknowledgement of Service which I guess I need to complete and send back to the Court ???
    Hellllp please what do I do now? do I contact the Court. I have read the links but having ignored all the letters I don't know where I stand now, and if I've totally blown my chance and have to pay??.

Sue
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 6th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 4,500 Thanks
    waamo
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    Read and digest this

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=64350585&postcount=2
    This space for hire.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 6th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 18,327 Posts
    • 23,205 Thanks
    Redx
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    nothing wrong with the IGNORE route so far, but not from now on in this case

same advice as in this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5768518

and read that NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread post #2 , linked in the previous reply

for now you are the KEEPER , and as keeper you are probably not liable for the charge, so stay as keeper and ensure your posts only talk about what THE DRIVER may have done on the day , plus what THE KEEPER has received since that fateful day

its called MCOL for a reason , so do the AOS online , by logging in

do not write anything at all in the defence box, that comes in a few weeks time , or preferably by directly emailing the CCBC with a defence pdf attachment
    Last edited by Redx; 07-01-2018 at 2:47 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 7th Jan 18, 7:40 AM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 4,285 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:40 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:40 AM
    Have you been back to Matalan on this? If the can't help, they may be able to give you the name of the people that hired VCS. See if you can get it cancelled at source BUT keep on top of the court paperwork.
    Idiots please note: If you intend NOT to read the information on the Notice of Allocation and hand a simple win to the knuckle dragging ex-clampers, then don't waste people's time with questions on a claim you'll not defend.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 7th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    • 9,478 Posts
    • 9,232 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    The amount they are claiming is more than the law allows, worst case, if you lost id about £175 - £200, it is a scam.

A judge might also think that this is an unfair term, especially if you tried on lots of clothes.

read this

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

If Matalan will not cancel it write bad things on their Facebook page and twitter and boycott them in future.
    Last edited by The Deep; 07-01-2018 at 8:52 AM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • suzymp
    • By suzymp 7th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    suzymp
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    Yes I did go back to Matalan and spoke to the manager who said it was out of her hands. Though I was wondering yesterday whether to try to speak with an Area Manager? I think first I'll do the AOS online then give Matalan another ring try the area manager then try twitter (my daughter suggested that too). Thank you so much for your advice I don't feel totally alone on this now.
    Last edited by suzymp; 07-01-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: more info
    • Lamilad
    • By Lamilad 7th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 2,712 Thanks
    Lamilad
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    Yes I did go back to Matalan and spoke to the manager who said it was out of her hands. Though I was wondering yesterday whether to try to speak with an Area Manager?
    Do some googling, see if you can find the email address for the CEO or someone in a very senior position. Play the cheated, abused customer. As above, say that you will have to warn others of this scam via every social media outlet and the local press.

Make a big deal out of the money you spent and how it is a scandal that you have been penalised for this. Surely the parking enforcement is to tackle 'rogue' users, so where's their duty of care to genuine customers, such as yourself.... You need to sound angry but focussed and determined.
    • suzymp
    • By suzymp 8th Jan 18, 11:37 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    suzymp
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:37 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:37 AM
    Thankyou for all the support and good advice. Yesterday I revisited the Matalan and asked to speak with the Manager. I showed her my receipts for purchases on that day and the Parking eye picture. I told her I'd been in before as soon as I got the ticket and was told 'we can't do anything' and she agreed this was the wrong advice. She says that they no longer have Parking eye at Matalan as it came to a situation where all her time as manager was being spent sending e-mails to the landlord asking for the parking notices to be cancelled! She has emailed the landlord asking for mine to be cancelled and I hope that as it has got as far as the Court Order that it isn't too late for him to do it. I got his e-mail address too so I can chase him if it doesn't go through.

I'm still completing the AOS online as it gives me more time to chase him and see where that goes. And the fact that Matalan have cancelled numerous parking charge tickets before I guess is a good point for my defence ??

Again thank you for your very good advice.

Sue
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Jan 18, 12:07 AM
    • 58,374 Posts
    • 71,904 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:07 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:07 AM
    Yes, that's good, but:

You are most likely to get a letter from PE saying they ''can't'' cancel this late, unless someone pays £60 or so - sob story - they've spent their (other people's hard-earned) money on a court fee.

Call their bluff.

A person demonstrating that PE have no legitimate interest and no landowner support puts them on a sticky wicket they won't want to be on, and we have seen them cancel completely when people refuse to cough up the £60 they bleat for.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 9th Jan 18, 12:28 AM
    • 7,519 Posts
    • 10,008 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Guys ... do my eyes deceive me ?

21.12.17 - 'Notice of Pending County Court Claim' letter received

04.01.18 - Received County Court Claim Form N1SDT

05.01.18 - Received 'Notice of County Court Claim Iussed' letter from BW legal advising i will get a letter from Northampton County Court

New Procedure 1st Oct 2017
    Where are the details of the claim ?
    What happened to the 30 days to respond ?
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 9th Jan 18, 12:34 AM
    • 7,519 Posts
    • 10,008 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Jason Hargreaves is the CEO

ceo@matalan.co.uk
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

1,497Users online

Martin's Twitter