PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

selfish buyer pulls out

nadiamaj
nadiamaj Posts: 27
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 6 January 2018 at 2:42PM in House buying, renting & selling
2 days before exchange my buyer pulls out because it was taking too long

we offered to pay her rent....
were breaking the chain to moving to rented property and putting our stuff into storage
i mean seriously!!! and now shes starting the whole process again

im furious
3 of us in a chain and now houses all gone back on

i need to sell mine quick as we negotiated hard and borrowed money and cant afford another house it was our perfect house

Comments

• How long did it take? (No judging - I just can't be angry for you without knowing)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There's more to this than what's in your post.

No buyer would pull out "2 days before Exchange" because it was taking too long and then start the process again.

There's another reason they pulled out.
  • nadiamaj
    nadiamaj Posts: 27
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    could be another reason but sh didn't tell us and was the area she was looking at G_M

12 weeks from accepting offer just pulled out before xmas yet our new house isn't complete until feb
  • G_M
    Forumite
    People rarely give the real reason.

Maybe she found a nicer house. Maybe just went off yours. Maybe decided Feb was too long. Maybe getting separated suddenly. Maybe lost job or had a financial difficulty.

You'll never know. Move on.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,775
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I agree, it will be something else. Cold feet.

Blames you, which is cruel, as you sound quite nice. It would have been something in her own head.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • TheGame21
    TheGame21 Posts: 187
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We are close to completion however are worried about a similar thing happening to us. I think if someone pulls out at this late stage they should be liable to pay any costs incurred for everyone in the chain e.g mortgage fees, removals etc.

Someone has mentioned to me that this is the case in Scotland, is this true?
  • G_M
    Forumite
    TheGame21 wrote: »
    We are close to completion however are worried about a similar thing happening to us. I think if someone pulls out at this late stage they should be liable to pay any costs incurred for everyone in the chain e.g mortgage fees, removals etc.
    So if at a late stage your solicitor told you there was a covenat prohibitting you from building an extension (and you'd planned to do so), or your surveyor told you the roof needed replacing, you would pull out and happily "pay any costs incurred for everyone in the chain e.g mortgage fees, removals etc."

??
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375
    First Post
    Forumite
    TheGame21 if you have exchanged already and your buyer fails to complete them your solicitor can help you apply for costs from them. However, if they do complete on the specified day but so late in the day that you incur additional costs then they don't owe you anything because they are not in breach of contract. But if you haven't exchanged and the worst happens (in England) there are no grounds to reclaim any costs. I agree it sucks but I don't know if it's different in Scotland.

Sadly our vendors never did find out honestly why their vendors withdrew on the day of exchange. Again, they gave a reason that blamed timescales but it was clearly a bigger and more personal issue. More positively they went ahead with our sale and found themselves another house to buy quickly, but they were out of pocket on survey and sols fees.
  • TheGame21
    Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    So if at a late stage your solicitor told you there was a covenat prohibitting you from building an extension (and you'd planned to do so), or your surveyor told you the roof needed replacing, you would pull out and happily "pay any costs incurred for everyone in the chain e.g mortgage fees, removals etc."

??

I'm talking within 5 days of exchange/completion. All the stuff you mentioned should be covered in the survey/searches well before that and obviously no one has started moving/packing at that point. I'm talking right near the completion date, why should everyone in a long chain suffer because some one pulls out because they have 'cold feet'? They should not be able to do that without consequences.
  • TheGame21
    Forumite
    JoJo1978 wrote: »
    TheGame21 if you have exchanged already and your buyer fails to complete them your solicitor can help you apply for costs from them. However, if they do complete on the specified day but so late in the day that you incur additional costs then they don't owe you anything because they are not in breach of contract. But if you haven't exchanged and the worst happens (in England) there are no grounds to reclaim any costs. I agree it sucks but I don't know if it's different in Scotland.

Sadly our vendors never did find out honestly why their vendors withdrew on the day of exchange. Again, they gave a reason that blamed timescales but it was clearly a bigger and more personal issue. More positively they went ahead with our sale and found themselves another house to buy quickly, but they were out of pocket on survey and sols fees.

Thanks, our situation is that we have not been able to exchange on the date agreed by everyone because one of the Solicitors has failed to ask for the funds to be released and when they have, the bank have said it will take 5 working days. Exchange is now set for a week after the original agreed date and one person in the chain has also failed to return some paperwork.

There are families in the chain wanting their kids to start school and also some children with specific needs who need to move. Everyone is now being held up because of someone's else's mistakes/incompetence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure