Which sound bar?

I'm looking to buy a sound bar for my TV. The sound from the inbuilt TV speakers has to be on maximum when watching some films. Even then I struggle to hear it properly.
Its a 55 inch LG Ultra HD 4K Smart TV 55UF85.
I've tried google, but so much conflicting info, wattage, woofers, etc, it leaves me absolutely at a loss.
I'm not very technically minded so i may be better off with HDMI connection.
I don't want to go over the top cost wise, just need something to plug in so I can hear the TV better.
Normal TV channels otherwise seem to be ok sound wise, just the film channels.
Thanks, John.

Comments

• Shimrod
    Shimrod Posts: 1,069
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Bunch of reviews here: https://www.avforums.com/homecinema/reviews/soundbars.68 with varying prices. The Yamaha YAS-107 sounds like it might fit your requirements.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The Orbitsound gets good reviews but I have one and find it too bassy. Even with treble turned up fully and bass turned down fully, I can hear it through the floorboards if I go upstairs in my house.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Bought this http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4132008 and happy with sound quality for under £100.
    No HDMI but connect with digital optical cable.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 6 January 2018 at 6:25PM
    I have a LG 4k web os tv not the same model as you buts its loud. Have you tried the "Sound Test" under the Sound Settings?
    Have you played with the "Auto Volume" setting?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 January 2018 at 7:57PM
    arnhemrd wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a sound bar for my TV. The sound from the inbuilt TV speakers has to be on maximum when watching some films. Even then I struggle to hear it properly.
    Its a 55 inch LG Ultra HD 4K Smart TV 55UF85.
    I've tried google, but so much conflicting info, wattage, woofers, etc, it leaves me absolutely at a loss.
    I'm not very technically minded so i may be better off with HDMI connection.
    I don't want to go over the top cost wise, just need something to plug in so I can hear the TV better.
    Normal TV channels otherwise seem to be ok sound wise, just the film channels.
    Thanks, John.

You don't say what your budget is but the Yamaha YAS-107 is available for £169:-

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/yamaha-yas107-7-1-sound-bar-10164200-pdt.html

We've got the older YAS-101 and would heartily recommend it, the difference between our 50" Sony Android TV's built in speakers and the soundbar is astounding really.

Like the YAS-107 it's a standalone soundbar (no separate woofer) connected with an optical cable to the TV. The Blu-ray and Sky box connect to the TV via HDMI and the TV's settings altered so that all sound input is sent directly to the soundbar. It's easy to set up so that the TV's remote (and the Sky one if you've set it up to use the TV code) turns the volume up and down so the soundbars remote is never needed. I mounted ours on the wall above the TV as it blocked the bottom of the TV slightly sitting in front (even with the legs off).

Edit: If I put my Bluetooth dongle in my PC I can use iTunes through the soundbar as well and it's pretty decent with music.
  • tonygold
    tonygold Posts: 1,125
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    i was in the same position as OP and without spending a fortune just wanted to boost the depth and volume of my 50" panasonic smart tv so bought this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/jvc-th-w513b-2-0-sound-bar-10140966-pdt.html

i have to say for the princely sum of £59.99 i am amazed at the difference in sound. very simple to setup, no separate sub woofer, just a decent volume and depth boost with 4 sound modes that suits me down to the ground.

as an added bonus it has bluetooth so music from my phone plays really well thru it also. only downside is, is it doesn't come with a digital optical cable in the box so be prepared for that and buy a cheap one elsewhere in advance. i got one for around £3.50.
  • WaywardDriver
    WaywardDriver Posts: 546
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2018 at 10:42AM
    tonygold wrote: »
    i was in the same position as OP and without spending a fortune just wanted to boost the depth and volume of my 50" panasonic smart tv so bought this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/jvc-th-w513b-2-0-sound-bar-10140966-pdt.html

i have to say for the princely sum of £59.99 i am amazed at the difference in sound. very simple to setup, no separate sub woofer, just a decent volume and depth boost with 4 sound modes that suits me down to the ground.

This is a Which Don't Buy due to "Terrible sound"!
  • arnhemrd wrote: »

Unlike the old cathode ray TVs, modern LED TVs are thin, so this affects the built in loudspeakers they can use. Even so, they should be more than adequate for listening in a normal living room even if the sound quality is not as good as one would get with conventional speakers.

In all seriousness, rather than buying something louder, you may wish to have a hearing test.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2018 at 1:27PM
    arnhemrd wrote: »
    The sound from the inbuilt TV speakers has to be on maximum when watching some films. Even then I struggle to hear it properly.
    Is the problem a lack of volume or lack of clarity? Try different sound setting. The speech setting is generally clearer. Movie settings can be noisy and mask the dialogue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure