Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arnhemrd
    • By arnhemrd 6th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 3Thanks
    arnhemrd
    Which sound bar?
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    Which sound bar? 6th Jan 18 at 2:27 PM
    I'm looking to buy a sound bar for my TV. The sound from the inbuilt TV speakers has to be on maximum when watching some films. Even then I struggle to hear it properly.
    Its a 55 inch LG Ultra HD 4K Smart TV 55UF85.
    I've tried google, but so much conflicting info, wattage, woofers, etc, it leaves me absolutely at a loss.
    I'm not very technically minded so i may be better off with HDMI connection.
    I don't want to go over the top cost wise, just need something to plug in so I can hear the TV better.
    Normal TV channels otherwise seem to be ok sound wise, just the film channels.
    Thanks, John.
Page 1
    • Shimrod
    • By Shimrod 6th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    Shimrod
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    Bunch of reviews here: https://www.avforums.com/homecinema/reviews/soundbars.68 with varying prices. The Yamaha YAS-107 sounds like it might fit your requirements.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 6th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 1,999 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5766451
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 6th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    The Orbitsound gets good reviews but I have one and find it too bassy. Even with treble turned up fully and bass turned down fully, I can hear it through the floorboards if I go upstairs in my house.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • WaywardDriver
    • By WaywardDriver 6th Jan 18, 5:45 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    WaywardDriver
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:45 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:45 PM
    Bought this http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4132008 and happy with sound quality for under 100.
    No HDMI but connect with digital optical cable.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 6th Jan 18, 6:21 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    cranford
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:21 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:21 PM
    I have a LG 4k web os tv not the same model as you buts its loud. Have you tried the "Sound Test" under the Sound Settings?
    Have you played with the "Auto Volume" setting?
    Last edited by cranford; 06-01-2018 at 6:25 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    I'm looking to buy a sound bar for my TV. The sound from the inbuilt TV speakers has to be on maximum when watching some films. Even then I struggle to hear it properly.
    Its a 55 inch LG Ultra HD 4K Smart TV 55UF85.
    I've tried google, but so much conflicting info, wattage, woofers, etc, it leaves me absolutely at a loss.
    I'm not very technically minded so i may be better off with HDMI connection.
    I don't want to go over the top cost wise, just need something to plug in so I can hear the TV better.
    Normal TV channels otherwise seem to be ok sound wise, just the film channels.
    Thanks, John.
    Originally posted by arnhemrd
    You don't say what your budget is but the Yamaha YAS-107 is available for 169:-

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/yamaha-yas107-7-1-sound-bar-10164200-pdt.html

We've got the older YAS-101 and would heartily recommend it, the difference between our 50" Sony Android TV's built in speakers and the soundbar is astounding really.

Like the YAS-107 it's a standalone soundbar (no separate woofer) connected with an optical cable to the TV. The Blu-ray and Sky box connect to the TV via HDMI and the TV's settings altered so that all sound input is sent directly to the soundbar. It's easy to set up so that the TV's remote (and the Sky one if you've set it up to use the TV code) turns the volume up and down so the soundbars remote is never needed. I mounted ours on the wall above the TV as it blocked the bottom of the TV slightly sitting in front (even with the legs off).

Edit: If I put my Bluetooth dongle in my PC I can use iTunes through the soundbar as well and it's pretty decent with music.
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 06-01-2018 at 7:57 PM.
    • tonygold
    • By tonygold 7th Jan 18, 9:32 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    tonygold
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:32 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:32 AM
    i was in the same position as OP and without spending a fortune just wanted to boost the depth and volume of my 50" panasonic smart tv so bought this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/jvc-th-w513b-2-0-sound-bar-10140966-pdt.html

i have to say for the princely sum of 59.99 i am amazed at the difference in sound. very simple to setup, no separate sub woofer, just a decent volume and depth boost with 4 sound modes that suits me down to the ground.

as an added bonus it has bluetooth so music from my phone plays really well thru it also. only downside is, is it doesn't come with a digital optical cable in the box so be prepared for that and buy a cheap one elsewhere in advance. i got one for around 3.50.
    • WaywardDriver
    • By WaywardDriver 7th Jan 18, 10:30 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    WaywardDriver
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:30 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:30 AM
    i was in the same position as OP and without spending a fortune just wanted to boost the depth and volume of my 50" panasonic smart tv so bought this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/jvc-th-w513b-2-0-sound-bar-10140966-pdt.html

i have to say for the princely sum of 59.99 i am amazed at the difference in sound. very simple to setup, no separate sub woofer, just a decent volume and depth boost with 4 sound modes that suits me down to the ground.
    Originally posted by tonygold

This is a Which Don't Buy due to "Terrible sound"!
    Last edited by WaywardDriver; 07-01-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 7th Jan 18, 11:09 AM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 9,657 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Unlike the old cathode ray TVs, modern LED TVs are thin, so this affects the built in loudspeakers they can use. Even so, they should be more than adequate for listening in a normal living room even if the sound quality is not as good as one would get with conventional speakers.

In all seriousness, rather than buying something louder, you may wish to have a hearing test.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 7th Jan 18, 11:29 AM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 5,870 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    The sound from the inbuilt TV speakers has to be on maximum when watching some films. Even then I struggle to hear it properly.
    Is the problem a lack of volume or lack of clarity? Try different sound setting. The speech setting is generally clearer. Movie settings can be noisy and mask the dialogue.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 07-01-2018 at 1:27 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • spud17
    • By spud17 7th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    spud17
    I use these that I picked up for 0.99 collected (1 mile) on ebay.
    I connect via the headphone socket on my Sony KDL-EX32.
    Excellent value for money in true MSE style.
    Had good reviews at the time, only drawback is that they are a bit bulkier than a slim soundbar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-230-2-1-channel-multimedia-speaker/dp/B000FTNA3K

Move along, nothing to see.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 7th Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    • 3,538 Posts
    • 5,457 Thanks
    another casualty
    So much good advice as always . You say youre not too tech minded etc . Good thing is , you have hdmi inputs which makes things easier.
    Id say go to richer sounds , or even browse their website .
    You could also plug into your stereo if you have one .
    • tonygold
    • By tonygold 8th Jan 18, 8:00 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    tonygold
    This is a Which Don't Buy due to "Terrible sound"!
    Originally posted by WaywardDriver
    just shows how subjective these reviews are then, doesn't it. as i say i wasn't looking for an all singing or all dancing one.
    What Hifi? gave it a 4 star review:

https://www.whathifi.com/jvc/th-w513b/review

all i can say is i am very pleased with it.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 8th Jan 18, 8:33 AM
    • 2,793 Posts
    • 1,599 Thanks
    RumRat
    If you are just trying to improve the TV sound and not wanting a proper home cinema experience, just go for some half decent PC speakers.
    These Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers will improve your TV 100% without spending much money. They will sound better than a cheap soundbar.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • WaywardDriver
    • By WaywardDriver 8th Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    WaywardDriver
    just shows how subjective these reviews are then, doesn't it.
    Originally posted by tonygold
    Agree completely. I'm no audiophile and a high-end system would be wasted on me.
    My understanding is Which review score takes no account of price.
    I bought a 90 Samsung soundbar as compromise between price and review score.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter