Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • noob_789
    • By noob_789 6th Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 4Thanks
    noob_789
    Have I lost my chance to appeal???
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    Have I lost my chance to appeal??? 6th Jan 18 at 2:05 PM
    Hoping someone here can help!
    I received a PCN from Civil Enforcement Ltd for use of a free hotel carpark on 16/11/17 for an offence dated 07/11/17. I made an initial appeal on 16/11/17 which they rejected 28/11/17 at which point they gave me a POPLA code. At this point they didn't state that this was the end of their appeals process.

I made further representations along with a representation from the hotel manager stating I was a genuine customer. I then received another rejection letter dated 11/12/17 on which they stated I had reached the end of their internal appeals process however they didn't give me a new POPLA code and the old one has obviously expired now. Have I missed my opportunity to appeal to POPLA??

I contacted CEL for a new code but haven't had one as yet.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 6th Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    • 58,522 Posts
    • 72,019 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    You've missed POPLA, if the POPLA code doesn't work online. Go and try it now.

That was a big mistake, you NEVER send two appeal to the scammers. But you don't pay them either!
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• noob_789
    • By noob_789 6th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    noob_789
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    I tried the code, hence the post. I will attempt to send in a written appeal using the old code and explain why it was delayed as the final demand demand letter from CEL gives a further 28 days to make reps. Is there any other step I can take instead of POPLA?

I don't intend to pay them, I spent £900 on sitting an exam at that hotel and don't fancy forking out another £100!
    • Redx
    • By Redx 6th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 18,360 Posts
    • 23,262 Thanks
    Redx
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    your only other option is to get the landowner to cancel it , and make sure this is cancelled in writing
    Last edited by Redx; 06-01-2018 at 6:50 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 6th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 9,502 Posts
    • 9,270 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    You can always write bad stuff on their TripAdvisor page if they do not oblige.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 6th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 18,016 Posts
    • 28,531 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    I tried the code, hence the post. I will attempt to send in a written appeal using the old code and explain why it was delayed as the final demand demand letter from CEL gives a further 28 days to make reps. Is there any other step I can take instead of POPLA?

I don't intend to pay them, I spent £900 on sitting an exam at that hotel and don't fancy forking out another £100!
    Originally posted by noob_789
    POPLA won’t get involved, you’ve missed their deadline, they won’t consider your appeal. No amount of indignation will make a blind bit of difference. Sorry.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 6th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 58,522 Posts
    • 72,019 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:45 PM

Originally posted by noob_789
    Of course. No-one is telling you to pay £100!

An option is to ignore them then see them off by defending the small claim they will start, then discontinue (every time).
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• noob_789
    • By noob_789 11th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    noob_789
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    Update for anyone interested.

I got through to POPLA who advised that CEL shouldn't have sent a code while still going through their internal appeals process, told me to contact BPA to complain.

Contacted BPA and they are still investigating.

In the mean time I contacted the hotel AGAIN to !!!55357;!!!56489; them up a bit by saying that the appeal was rejected, stated that they should be able to cancel as the landowners and to give me head office details, thanked them for their help and then said I would ask them to make representations should CEL go legal....replied within a few hours to say it was cancelled....whoop whoop!! Will obviously keep a record should CEL dispute it.

FYI this was at Hotel Novotel in Milton Keynes and anyone who is stung by this don't ask for the hotel manager Alfredo, he's not helpful, ask for Jijo the ops manager !!!55357;!!!56397;

Thanks for all your advice peeps!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jan 18, 12:42 AM
    • 58,522 Posts
    • 72,019 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:42 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:42 AM
    FYI this was at Hotel Novotel in Milton Keynes and anyone who is stung by this don't ask for the hotel manager Alfredo, he's not helpful, ask for Jijo the ops manager !!!65533;!!!65533;
    TBH, the very presence of a notorious parking firm, and seeing what happened to you, is enough to bring down the reputation of the Novotel in Milton Keynes, and to put people right off even booking.

If people see this thread, they'd be well advised to steer clear. Hotels do NOT need parking firms threatening their patrons.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,043Posts Today

7,162Users online

Martin's Twitter