Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sir Rodney Effing
    • By Sir Rodney Effing 6th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sir Rodney Effing
    First time buyer - Questions about house survey
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    First time buyer - Questions about house survey 6th Jan 18 at 1:33 PM
    Hi

**AS A NEW MEMBER, I'VE JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE POSTING OF LINKS IS BANNED UNTIL I BECOME MORE ESTABLISHED. I'VE POSTED THIS ANYWAY IN THE HOPE THAT FORUM MEMBERS WILL TELL ME IF THERE IS A WAY AROUND THIS. I REALLY NEED TO SHOW PICTURES IN THIS PARTICULAR POST, SO PEOPLE CAN SEE WHAT I'M REFERRING TO**

I am in the process of buying my first house and I've got a few questions.

I've had a Full Level 3 Building Survey done on a property that I want to buy and there a couple of things that concern me. There are cracks on the first floor rear above the bathroom window (see image below)

I saw these cracks when viewing the property and didn't think they were that concerning. However, taking a look at another image, it looks like bricks below the window are a different colour to the surrounding bricks have been replaced (see below)

When I viewed the property, it was a really cloudy day getting towards dusk and I really couldn't see the contrast in colour. It does look like bricks have been replaced and not just repointing carried out. The surveyor hasn't mentioned this in the survey.

There is also a crack in the lintel above the ground floor window together with some sagging of the brickwork above it (see image below) again the surveyor didn't see this as a huge issue. (see image below)

He graded all these issues at Level 2 (ie does need repair but is not an urgent issue), and all were due to historic settling in his opinion.

I don't have any experience in buying a house, so I wonder what you guys opinion was who have experience with buying a property. Would you advise a structural survey for peace of mind? Any advice welcome
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 6th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    Just post the URL's to the pictures but add some random spaces to obfuscate them. One of us will sort out the links.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    • 44,402 Posts
    • 52,702 Thanks
    G_M
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    Can't comment wthout seeing so follow Slithery's advice.

But te best advice to follow would be your surveyor's - you paid a professional. Why?

If concerned, give him a ring.
    • SG27
    • By SG27 7th Jan 18, 6:36 AM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    SG27
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:36 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:36 AM
    Surveyors always cover themselves in their reports so they cant get sued if they miss something. If he was at all in doubt he would have recommended a structural engineers report.
    • Sir Rodney Effing
    • By Sir Rodney Effing 25th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sir Rodney Effing
    • 25th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 25th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    Hi, please find links to the relevant photos showing cracking and bowing of some of the bricks

flickr.com/photos/158530344
    @N07/38826349834/in/dateposted-public/
    flickr.com/photos/158530344@
    N07/38826349604/in/dateposted-public/
    flickr.com/photos/158530344
    @N07/38826350524/in/dateposted-public/

The surveyor adjudged them as being the result of historic movement, that is not ongoing. Always good to get as many opinions as possible though
    • elverson
    • By elverson 25th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    elverson
    • 25th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    • 25th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    Not if those opinions are useless it isn't.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,051Posts Today

7,803Users online

Martin's Twitter