Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jussikins
    • By jussikins 6th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jussikins
    NCD increases premium, do I have to declare?
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    NCD increases premium, do I have to declare? 6th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Just took out a policy with an insurance company over New Year but put in initially that my NCD was zero. I later found out that I was entitled to 4 years NCD (as my last policy lapsed 21 months ago) so contacted them immediately and asked for it to be applied. To my surprise and shock they came back and said that applying NCD would increase by over 200 my policy charge. I am not naming the insurer here as when I go on the price comparison site I can see most insurers are increasing the premium.

The question I have is do I have to give my NCD figure or can I opt for 0 years which is bizarrely cheaper?

The insurance agent just said that I can apply for zero but I don't trust them as I am in my cooling off period so wary that their opinion may change outside 14 days. I just wondered if anyone knew the legal position on this or where it could be found out? Incidentally it would be nice to see a press expose on this as in my mind charging more for a no claims discount is a scam being run by insurance companies.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 35,893 Posts
    • 20,123 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    Shop around for quotes with 4 years NCD

If it's cheaper to go elsewhere (taking into account cancellation fees etc) then do so

It's unusual to find an insurer with premiums cheaper with nil Ncd rather than 4 years!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,577Posts Today

7,636Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin