Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 6th Jan 18, 5:59 AM
    • 285Posts
    • 3,942Thanks
    tiredmum2
    O/S Daily Saturday 6th January
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:59 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 6th January 6th Jan 18 at 5:59 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 6th Jan 18, 6:08 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:08 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:08 AM
    Morning all I am up with the larks as just dropped DD2 and boyfriend off at the airport as they are skiing for the week. I have to say the roads were lovely and clear and even the Dartford crossing was clear both ways but even better it was free. DH rolled in at 2am after a night out with work and he is certainly the worse for wear i have just had to stop him from trying to find the toilet in the utility room Grrr there has never been a downstairs loo in the 26 years we have lived here but he was most insistent there was a toilet in the toilet (goodness knows what he meant) he was supposed to take DS to work this morning but thankfully i am home in time to do it .
    Today will be spent tidying up and cleaning we were going to Ikea to get some bits for DD1 new flat as she has a massive walk in wardrobe that needs fitting out but i don't think DH should be let loose with any tools today !
    Tea tonight is a YS party platter and hot dogs
    Hugs to all those who need them and extra strength to those who need it x
    Have a great day whatever you are up to
    Last edited by tiredmum2; 06-01-2018 at 6:25 AM.
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 6th Jan 18, 6:37 AM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 42,538 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:37 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:37 AM
    Morning everyone

tiredmum2 - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and I are up enjoying peaceful cuppas and brekkie, I'm also showered and dressed as I'm working this morning.

Still dark and damp underfoot but the wind has died away and air is chilly.

Dinner last night was gammon, egg, chips/jacket potato and veg, xmas cake for dessert for those that wanted some, it's nearly all gone. Dinner tonight will be pizza, breaded chicken portions, salad and baby new potatoes or wedges.

Was reasonably productive again yesterday, got more washing and drying done, and tackled the ironing pile before going to the hospital. Mum is making some steady progress and walked with 1 therapist down the corridor and back yesterday. She is still confused but you can have short 2 way conversations with her but she can't start a conversation, when you speak you have to put everything in simple words, and at times she doesn't look like she's with us at all - as I keep saying to dad "it's baby steps" as it's going to be a long road ahead, and I feel she'll improve to a certain point and that will be as good as she'll be, that could be she won't get that much better or there may still be some improvement to come, we'll have to wait and see. I'll be going over after work this afternoon for an hour.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 6th Jan 18, 6:44 AM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 27,881 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:44 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:44 AM
    Morning tiredmum and thanks for starting off. Oh dear I think there will be a hangover to contend with shortly!.

Well I am still coughing fit to choke but yesterday I felt a bit better in myself, if that makes sense! I didn't have any temperature surges all day and I felt I had my own head back on instead of the befuddled one I had been wearing for a while. It looks like the anti b's have worked for two things, just not the hacking cough.

Mr TA has been left to his own devices as far as meals go - and he's no chef!! I ventured out to the freezers yesterday to take stock and most of the convenience stuff and oven chips etc had gone but still loads of meat as I haven't felt up to cooking. I have just got out some braising steaks to defrost and I will leave them overnight in the slow cooker in a red wine gravy for tomorrow's lunch. There is a tub of creme fraiche approaching date in the fridge so have got out some chicken fillets to do summer in winter chicken tonight.

All the veg seems to have survived quite well in the cold garage fortunately so I am hoping there won't be anything to chuck away. Maybe just some very sad looking salad stuff in the fridge!

I have lost about three quarters of a stone since this virus floored me late November but it's not a diet I would recommend! Once I am eating again it will soon go back on unfortunately!!

Have a good day folks if you can and ((HUGS)) to all in need/want of them, especially the poorlies, sad or worried. Take care all xx
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 6th Jan 18, 6:51 AM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 15,385 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:51 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:51 AM
    Morning everyone

Thanks for starting us off tiredmum.

I!!!8217;ve been awake most of the night again. I have come down with the cold virus that is doing the rounds, and I woke up after an hour with a sore throat and sneezing fit and couldn!!!8217;t get back to sleep.

I!!!8217;ve spent most of the night on the sofa watching tv and a few things I had recorded. I don!!!8217;t think I could get into a book at the moment.

As I don!!!8217;t want to cook, I!!!8217;ll have a dig around in the freezer for a ready meal shortly. There certainly won!!!8217;t be any housework getting done today, and I won!!!8217;t be going out.

Hugs to all of you that are unwell, and those with troubles/problems.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 6th Jan 18, 7:08 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:08 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:08 AM
    Morning all. Wet and windy here, it started early evening yesterday, very heavy rain and it's cold.

Thanks Tired Mum, for starting off - I had to smile at the idea of your DH looking for a toilet in the toilet!
    TA, sounds as if you've turned a corner at last!! so pleased for you, it's miserable when illnesses go on for weeks. Still be careful though, don't do too much.
    NMLC , hope your Mum continues to improve, it's heartbreaking for you all to see her like that.

I did quite a few jobs yesterday morning, tidying, a wash load, and took a parcel to the Post Office. I had planned to go into Durham in the afternoon, but after lunch I could hardly keep my eyes open. All this early waking finally caught up with me, and I flopped on the sofa in front of the TV, and fell asleep. Normally I would never sleep through the day.

Waking up after about an hour and a half I felt distinctly groggy, but felt better after a hot drink.
    I'd put some mince in the slow cooker, so we had that with mash, veg and yorkshire puddings for tea.

I've been awake early again today but forced myself to stay in bed, so dozed off now and again.

This afternoon I'm going out for afternoon tea with a little party of friends, one of whom has a birthday coming up, so that will be a change.

Hope everyone has a good a day as they can, stay warm.

I
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 6th Jan 18, 7:13 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:13 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:13 AM
    Sorry to see that you're unwell Holly, hope you'll soon feel better.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 6th Jan 18, 7:46 AM
    • 1,637 Posts
    • 19,579 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:46 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:46 AM
    Morning all, hope those who are unwell or worried have a better day.

Nmlc, that's positive news about your mum, hoping that she continues to make progress.

TA, good news that you are starting to feel better.

I've been up for a couple of hours doing little of consequence and OH has just emerged he'll be going shopping soon. He's just offered me a cup of tea, excellent.

I'm going to read the Times, have a bath and do yet more washing, I swear it breeds.

Hope everyone has as good a day as possible.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 6th Jan 18, 8:55 AM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:55 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:55 AM
    Morning all
    I'm sitting in bed with two sleeping beauties beside me . Thought I'd have a quiet cuppa and a look on here till they wake up. Spent most of my time yesterday with DGD and we made a fairy garden, I had to go out and get some soil from mine, and lots of Unicorn crafting. Also did BGT with the Barrbies and LOL dolls. DGS played soldiers and forts with Mr Fix It and then played on our new X box game. DD will collect later but I'm letting them sleep as we were a bit late going to bed, oops !
    Haven't had time to read back on yesterday so will do that and hopefully return later.
    Hope everyone has a good Saturday.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 6th Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 46,261 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread TM and hugs to all those in need.

Bit chilly here this morning as the stove went out, CHS put a huge log on and then went to bed without topping up the coal, still it's burning merrily now.

I need to sweep and mop the floors today and then it's back to the crochet. I treated myself to the yarn kit for the Attic24 Woodland CAL but I can't start it until I've finished the Hydrangea blanket that I'm working on. I've made a few of Lucy's blankets but this is the first time I've used the yarn pack, I usually use what's in my stash so the colours tend to be a bit random.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 6th Jan 18, 9:08 AM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 20,739 Thanks
    snoozer
    Hurrah, I got up at 8.15 today, after a week of lie-ins that frustrated me. I didn't go to sleep till after 1.00 though because I was waiting for a phone call from DD to say she and DH had arrived home safely. He doesn't drive so it all falls on her and I worry about her. I'm hoping he will organise himself and pass his test while he is out of work, then they can share the long journeys.

I want to go to Settle today to look for curtains for the front room, we inherited the ones we have but I hate them and have decided that 4 years of them is enough.

Also on the agenda is cleaning the house and washing bedding in preparation for leaving tomorrow (or perhaps Monday morning).

TA, glad to hear that you seem to be on the mend at last.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 6th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 6,479 Posts
    • 41,220 Thanks
    Gers
    Good morning all.

Iíve been idling away the early morning, just lying in bed watching the bright moon move across the sky past the house (though technically I think itís us moving round the moon).

Iíve also been browsing FB as one of my grand nephews turned one and thereís photos up. They live in Queensland so itís very sunny and hot there so I was fantasising about being there rather than under two duvets wearing two layers of pyjamas. I donít really want to be there unless it could be done in an hour or two.

No idea whatís happening today. Might be a Ďsort out the freezerí day but Iím not sure.

The haul of potatoes from the two bags was slightly disappointing, some are really tiny, though given the bloomin awful weather since planting itís OK.

Washing is up to date as are the dishes.

I hope all the poorlies are on the mend and wish everyone a relaxed and happy Saturday.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 6th Jan 18, 9:44 AM
    • 12,452 Posts
    • 40,123 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning all

Holly sorry you are unwell you really have been through the wars the last few weeks. Give in to it and look after yourself

TA sounds a bit more positive but don't overdo it now

Lovely day here bright blue sky but it is colder couple more layers than normal

Nothing much happening this weekend, befriending this morning then cleaning. Need to declutter my sky planner as well as its way too low for my liking

Food wise not sure yet but something out of the freezer no doubt

have a great day all
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 6th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 20,496 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Not much change here. OH slept ost of yesterday away, he did have a while when he felt sick, but he slept it off. He was awake for about 3 hours yesterday evening, but was very restless sleeping during the night. Breakfast has been eaten and he is asleep again.

I managed to get him into the shower last night and changed the bed, the sheets etc will be whirling round shortly.

Someone who reads my blog told me about some very low salt stock cubes, my goodness they are not cheap, but if they help ok, I have sent for beef, chicken and vegetable ones. cannot get out to get them myself, I think Holland and Barrett sell them.

Thankfully I seem to be improving slowly, but then the Dr warned me it would be a long job, still in jammies, will get dressed shortly and cook the beef for tonights supper. OH is not eating a lot, but he cleared his salmon, potato and peas last night and also asked for fruit afterwards. Getting him to drink is still a bit of a problem, hey ho......
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 6th Jan 18, 10:17 AM
    • 2,139 Posts
    • 26,374 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Sorry that you are feeling poorly Holly there as so many nasty viruses around at the moment, please take care.
    Hope you continue to improve TA

Cold and frosty here, it was thick fog when I left at 7am this morning but clear by the time got to the yard thankfully, Lulu went out with her thickest rug on as it was -2! Really liked the stables that I looked around yesterday so have said will take the space and will pay the deposit today, am lucky to have found it as many of us are struggling to find somewhere to put our horses. Apparently the yard owner now regrets giving us all the notice, tough

Not loads planned for the day, am out for an early evening meal with some friends tonight, one of which I haven't seen for over a year and is getting married this summer so will have loads to catch up on.

Right, time to get going, have a good day folks x
    • redruby
    • By redruby 6th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 93,258 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Its not raining the weather forecast said rain all day today but nothing so far ! I might risk purring some washing out as its nice and blowy, I have my work things in the wm atm and will put a towel load in after.

Chap was supposed to be coming this morning to finish the grouting but he text me to say he could not come, he is hopefully coming tomorrow morning, we cant do anything else till he has been.

Need to go shopping later so might nip to Aldi we don't need a huge amount just bits and bobs, dinner tonight will be some fresh pasta with chorizo and garlicky creamy sauce and a salad.

Has anyone been to Sicily ? I was looking at holidays last night and would love to go there but was wondering if there is enough to do ? we are not lay on the beach types but like to be doing something.

Hugs to all in need, have good days all xx
    • karcher
    • By karcher 6th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    karcher
    Morning all

Another awake in the early hours, but I eventually went back to sleep for a few hours and had some incredibly weird dreams!

I need to do some cleaning and tidying up today. Along with my determination to actually cook and eat more healthily this year, I tried my arm at making Soda Bread last night.

I know it's not rocket science but it was an achievement for me and it actually turned out ok..but I have a bit of a messy kitchen now.

Hope you all have a good day whatever you are up to
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 6th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 20,739 Thanks
    snoozer
    redruby, both my children and partners have been to Sicily and loved it. None of them are lay on the beach types and they found plenty to do. If you enjoy walking it's very good, I believe and the towns are interesting.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 6th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    • 10,575 Posts
    • 115,824 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Cold and frosty here, it was thick fog when I left at 7am this morning but clear by the time got to the yard thankfully, Lulu went out with her thickest rug on as it was -2! Really liked the stables that I looked around yesterday so have said will take the space and will pay the deposit today, am lucky to have found it as many of us are struggling to find somewhere to put our horses. Apparently the yard owner now regrets giving us all the notice, tough
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    Excellent news that Lulu has a new home to look forward to; when will she actually be moving?
    Yard owner only has himself to blame - I assume he made the decision in a fit of pique? What a prawn.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • dp1
    • By dp1 6th Jan 18, 1:57 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 2,259 Thanks
    dp1
    Travelling Abuela - Its ok I realise that Can Pastilla is almost in the airport! I really just want to go somewhere which has a very short transfer from the airport and plan on spending at least 3 of my days exploring Palma.
    Been into town this morning to have my hair cut and had a nice chat with a friend I met on the street. Some bits bought in Home Bargains and B and M and home again. I've hung towels and pyjamas on the line for a blow but its very windy so I'll have to keep checking on them or they might end up in the farmers field. Small amount of ironing to do then I'm going to get comfy with my book.
    Fingers crossed....my new tablets seem to be helping my cough a little, though I do have a pain in my tummy which is listed as a side effect.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

3,322Users online

Martin's Twitter