Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 5th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    • 96Posts
    • 89Thanks
    stinabean
    Ynab
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    Ynab 5th Jan 18 at 9:07 PM
    Hi all

Hoping for some guidance!

Have had a search and can't find a dedicated topic so apologies if there is one.

Trying to use this on the MAC for now as clearer than a phone. I've input the current amounts we have in my account, OHs account and our joint account. We each pay our share of everything into joint and that's where the bills are taken from.
    As we are both due a payday it's looking a bit bare (bar joint account) and I'm getting very confused on how to add regular paydays or when to put our outgoings in because if I do put them in it's not accurate as some have come out this month!

Desperate to get on with this system as heard so many good things. Please help!
Page 1
    • louby40
    • By louby40 5th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,698 Thanks
    louby40
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    Try looking on YouTube for some guidance or sign up to an online webinar - they were really helpful when I set my YNAB up.
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 5th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    stinabean
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    Didn't even consider youtube! Just getting flustered haha - thank you!
    • No_6
    • By No_6 5th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    No_6
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    MS money ! it's a simple spread sheet to enter ALL your spends
    etc.........etc....outgoings...DD's...the more data you add the more data you get back.

only on lap.things or pc's though.

you have the input and bank data...so keep it updated

Seems most want to do things on their phones, without and input
    or checking data to give ?

it's your money...look after it
    • bobobski
    • By bobobski 6th Jan 18, 7:36 AM
    • 707 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    bobobski
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:36 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:36 AM
    Regular paydays - when you input a transaction there's a drop down option for frequency (on the app it's called "repeat") but I'm on my mobile now so can't tell you exactly where it is on the desktop - sorry!

Outgoings - if you're just starting to use YNAB now, don't try to recreate what happened earlier in the month - just put your starting balance, income and outgoings from your start date. The first month is a bit clunky as you get used to the software and a new way of budgeting but I for one think it's totally worth the initial hassle!

By the way the YNAB support team is very good so don't be shy about emailing them (question mark icon on bottom right corner on desktop version). If you want you can give them permission to see your budget which may help them answer your query.

Good luck!
    #8: Save 12k in 2018: 3,851.72 / 14,000 (27.51%) | #18: Save 12k in 2017: 12,078.82 / 12,000 (100.65%) | #86: Save 12k in 2016: 8,476.09 / 10,000 (84.76%)
    House deposit by 31/12/2020:
    24,982.96 / 60,000 (41.63%) | Emergency fund by 31/12/2020: 2,340 / 5,000 (46.80%) | "New" car fund: 350 / 6,000 (5.83%)
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 6th Jan 18, 8:13 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:13 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:13 AM
    Good advice from bobobski. Also, YNAB have their own tutorial videos, which you can find on their site, as well as YouTube as has already been mentioned. They also have a support community at support.youneedabudget.com. If you are using the latest version of YNAB, you can use the same login to access this community, where you can get help from staff and other users in the methodology or using YNAB and effective budgeting generally.

P.S. the "repeat" option for scheduled transactions in YNAB is in the dropdown for the date when entering a transaction. When you click the dropdown it displays a calendar and below that another dropdown with regular payment intervals such as weekly, fortnightly, monthly etc.
    Last edited by tempus_fugit; 06-01-2018 at 8:16 AM.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,069Posts Today

5,215Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin