Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rochdale007
    • By Rochdale007 5th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Rochdale007
    Is there anyway to change my digital meter to dial meter..
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    Is there anyway to change my digital meter to dial meter.. 5th Jan 18 at 8:17 PM
    I suspect my neighbours are stealing my electricity.... is there anyway to get the wiring under the floor directly from my socket... the floor vibrates in nights....like somekind of motor is running.... my sleep gets disturbed every night.....i can feel vibration in mattress, sofa....i have started switching off electricity in night.... has anyone experienced issues like this.... bit confused
Page 1
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 5th Jan 18, 8:19 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:19 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:19 PM
    Do you live in an upstairs flat/maisonette? i.e. is there somebody living beneath you?

Ceiling fans in the room below can cause this kind of vibration.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • boliston
    • By boliston 5th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 2,185 Thanks
    boliston
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    do they still make dial meters?
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    Carrot007
    is there anyway to get the wiring under the floor directly from my socket
    Originally posted by Krish007
    Lift the floorboards?

the floor vibrates in nights....like somekind of motor is running.... my sleep gets disturbed every night.....i can feel vibration in mattress, sofa....
    I suspect you live in a flat. Flats suck for noise and vibration transference. maybe it is not for you?

.i have started switching off electricity in night.
    And has any been used. Why do you think having a dial meter would be any different?

I suspect my neighbours are stealing my electricity.
    Is this evident in your usage?

bit confused
    Me too, provide more info.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 5th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 1,164 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    Cannabis growers have fans on the go when the crop starts to stink to hi heaven in the later stages, so they vent it out somewhere out of the roof.
    I once uncovered a cannabis farm just hearing the vibrations of the fan going through the letterbox of a supposedly vacant property.
    No you cannot change a digital meter to a dial meter.end of !
    Last edited by House Martin; 06-01-2018 at 11:15 PM.
    • Rochdale007
    • By Rochdale007 5th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rochdale007
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    I live in three bedroom terrace house.... there are 9 kids next door... they come under flooring and banging noise and leave after few minutes.... i had word with their mum but she speaking ad if nothing as happened..... bothside are council tenants.... i have no problem living with them but naking problem....

Its like a motor running under the floor....i can literally hear it......

I though old model is easy to see usage.. even small changes...

I have called a electrician to have a look... so by then i thought i can gather some information here...
    • Rochdale007
    • By Rochdale007 5th Jan 18, 8:45 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rochdale007
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:45 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:45 PM
    Cannabis growers have fans on the go when the crop starts to stink to hi heaven in the later stages, so they vent it out somewhere.
    I once uncovered a cannabis farm just hearing the vibrations of the fan going through the letterbox of a supposedly vacant property.
    No you cannot change a digital meter to a dial meter.end of !
    Originally posted by House Martin

They use cannabis which i know....but not a cannabis farm....its not empty property....
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 5th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 1,164 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    They use cannabis which i know....but not a cannabis farm....its not empty property....
    They grow in both empty and occupied properties.The fan will stay on 24/7 when its needed the most towards the end of the approx 12 week growing period.an upstairs room is popular for small growers with just maybe 50 plants on the go.At 1000 a plant tho they can make a good living from it and not fear going to prison.The Police will just issue a caution these days for 50 plants
    Reported over 200,000 properties growing cannabis, so much that the Police are not interested in stopping it.They always bypass the electricity or it would be too expensive to grow the stuff
    Last edited by House Martin; 05-01-2018 at 10:01 PM.
    • tonycottee
    • By tonycottee 6th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    tonycottee
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    As Carrot007 says, a dial meter won!!!8217;t tell you anything more than your current meter.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 6th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 3,587 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    matelodave
    If you want to see if they are using you leccy then just shut off the fuse box thats connected to your meter and make sure that everything in your flat stops running.

The meter should stop recording (check that the flashing light on it stops flashing)

Read the meter including all the red digits - go out for a couple of hours (your fridge and freezer should be ok for at least four to six hours without power) and make sure that your meter still reads exactly the same as when you went out.

It it's moved then you need to investigate further, if not then you should be ok.

You can do the same when you can hear the vibration and see if it stops when you shut off your supply.
    Last edited by matelodave; 06-01-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • jk0
    • By jk0 6th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 2,320 Posts
    • 24,835 Thanks
    jk0
    Sounds like your neighbour has converted your under floor area to a cannabis farm and is using your electricity to run it. Cheeky sods!
    • Rochdale007
    • By Rochdale007 6th Jan 18, 10:44 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rochdale007
    Sounds like your neighbour has converted your under floor area to a cannabis farm and is using your electricity to run it. Cheeky sods!
    Originally posted by jk0
    I dont think they are something illegal...if its cannabis i should get smell.... but for sure only day i am going to lose my temper and break the floorboards....
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 7th Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 1,164 Thanks
    House Martin
    I dont think they are something illegal...if its cannabis i should get smell.... but for sure only day i am going to lose my temper and break the floorboards....
    Originally posted by Rochdale007
    It only really smells a lot in the last few weeks when they vent the smell out at roof level. Anyone in the street walking by can smell growing cannabis but only on a still windless day.Even then its difficult to pinpoint which house its coming from.
    Growing cannabis smell is different from the smell of the burning cannabis
    I m a meter reader for BG and have been smelling this stuff in the streets for a decade at least and I ve had my fair share of shutting down quite a few over the years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,567Posts Today

7,727Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin