Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Naivedoc
    • By Naivedoc 5th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Naivedoc
    Why is my current tariff not displayed?
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    Why is my current tariff not displayed? 5th Jan 18 at 7:45 PM
    I have tried to do a comparison on this this site with my current tariff. The Money saving website says it covers all tariffs, but mine isn't displayed :it is a fixed tariff /Cancer Research with Scottish Power that expires end of Jan 2018.

Can anyone advise how I do an accurate comparison??
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 5th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 18,769 Posts
    • 12,896 Thanks
    molerat
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    Help Beat Cancer Fixed Price January 2018 and Help Beat Cancer Fixed Price January 2018 Online showing for me.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    • 5,907 Posts
    • 3,640 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    I have tried to do a comparison on this this site with my current tariff. The Money saving website says it covers all tariffs, but mine isn't displayed :it is a fixed tariff /Cancer Research with Scottish Power that expires end of Jan 2018.

Can anyone advise how I do an accurate comparison??
    Originally posted by Naivedoc
    Where are you looking? Your tariff will not be listed as it is no longer offered. It has to be set via your profile. This has to be done by you.
    • cifpower
    • By cifpower 7th Jan 18, 11:37 AM
    • 6,451 Posts
    • 4,093 Thanks
    cifpower
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:37 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:37 AM
    It doesn't really matter what you select as your tariff. The cheapest tariff which applies to you will always display at the top.

• Hengus
    • By Hengus 7th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • 5,907 Posts
    • 3,640 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    It doesn't really matter what you select as your tariff. The cheapest tariff which applies to you will always display at the top.
    Originally posted by cifpower
    It is though worth pointing out, if you do not know already, that any savings are likely to be inflated as a result of Ofgem's inflated cost methodology.

It is better to use MSE CEC's annual cost comparitor.
    • jeffkey1
    • By jeffkey1 7th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jeffkey1
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    2018 Rates now showing yet for Sainsbury energy
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    Yes but the op point is the new 2018 tariffs are not showing.

I went to update my info and Sainsbury Price Promise 2018 is not listed. So it defaults me to their standard tariff.

So the projected savings are unrealistic as they are comparing to the standard tariff and not my current discounted one.

On the other hand this forum and campaign has prompted me to shop around every year.

Another thing to do each year along with TV, Broadband, Car Insurance, House Insurance, Breakdown cover and savings accounts.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 7th Jan 18, 12:05 PM
    • 5,907 Posts
    • 3,640 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:05 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:05 PM

So the projected savings are unrealistic as they are comparing to the standard tariff and not my current discounted one.
    Originally posted by jeffkey1
    If you are on a fixed tariff with 24 days to run, then using the supplier's SVT as the basis for your comparison will give but a few s difference. You are not going to find a tariff that gives you any savings as energy prices have risen over the past 12 months: particularly, electricity which has gone up by 30%.

if you believe that there is an error with MSE CEC then contact them. You could of course just use one of the other PCWs.

The Ofgem method of calculating savings is to use time remaining on present tariff plus one year minus time remaining on SVT = New 12 month's cost

Savings = New 12 month's cost - cost of 12 months on new tariff

It follows that a PCW can show a saving when the actual cost is MORE than you are paying today.
    Last edited by Hengus; 07-01-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    • MSE Laura
    • By MSE Laura 8th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    MSE Laura
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    Hi Naivedoc and jeffkey1,

Sorry to hear that you're both having trouble finding your tariffs. If you're struggling to find your tariffs listed on Cheap Energy Club, drop us an email to energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com and we'll be able to have a look into this.

When I have a look I'm able to see both the Scottish Power Help Beat Cancer Fixed Price January 2018 and Sainsbury's Energy Price Promise 2018 tariffs. Are you both scrolling through the drop down menu? It might also be worth double checking that you've selected the correct payment type.

Thanks,
    MSE Laura
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,709Users online

Martin's Twitter