Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • candyandmandy
    • By candyandmandy 5th Jan 18, 7:06 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    candyandmandy
    Claim esa or something else?
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:06 PM
    Claim esa or something else? 5th Jan 18 at 7:06 PM
    I have tried looking online to see what i am supposed to do, but keep getting conflicting/confusing information. A friend suggested this site to me, i would appreciate any advise i can get.

Currently my husband works full time, i have been unable to work since 2009 due to several disabilities. I have been getting pip at the middle rate for the last 3 years.

Over the course of the last year my health and mental health have deteriorated considerably and i am now in need of more one to one care, my husband has been offered a part time of 16 hours, evenings so he can take care of my needs in the day.
    The pay is 7.50 per hour x 16 hours.

My question is do i claim esa as a couple? Or universal credit? Or tax credits? or carers allowance? Which one? i am totally baffled!
    Do i make the claim or does he?
    Would we be able to claim housing benefit and council tax benefit?
    Does anyone know how much we would recieve in total?
    Very much appreciate your help.
Page 1
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 5th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    First thing to check is if you are in a Universal Credit area:
    https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

What exactly is your PIP award? There isn't a middle rate. There is Standard and Enhanced, for both the Daily Living & Mobility components.

I would suggest getting a benefit check from your local CAB.

These benefit calculators may be useful:
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    • candyandmandy
    • By candyandmandy 5th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    candyandmandy
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    My pip is enhanced for both mobility and daily living. We are in a universal credit area too.
    Thankyou i tried the benefits calculators and still can't work out what i am supposed to do, and it takes weeks sometimes to get a an appointment with the cab, but thankyou for your help and suggestions.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 5th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    1) Re Tax Credits. Severe Disability Element.
    If you are getting the Enhanced rate of PIP for Daily Living (and not in a UC area) this might apply:
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-element

2) Re Carers Allowance.
    https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/carers-allowance
    Note that one of the conditions is "you donít earn over £116 a week (after deductions)".
    Deductions include 50% of pension contributions.
    If your husband makes pension contributions of more than £8 pw this should bring him down to less than the £116 limit (but do check my calculations).

3)Re ESA (In a non UC area)
    You would have to claim, and be assessed as not fit for work. It would be means tested, and reduced by any other household income.
    The WRAG rate for a couple is c.£115. (There may be additional premiums).
    It is likely then that this would not a good option, as the basic rate would be wiped out by your husband's earnings.

I think it should be possible to claim both 1) & 2) at the same time if you fit the conditions. But please check this with your local CAB.

Let us know if you are in a UC area.

EDIT:
    Ah, you are in a UC area.
    Cross posted with your post.
    So I will now go on to detail the elements of UC which apply in a full service area in my next post
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 05-01-2018 at 8:48 PM. Reason: Cross posted with your post.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 5th Jan 18, 7:57 PM
    • 2,828 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:57 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:57 PM
    Op is in a UC credit area.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 5th Jan 18, 8:28 PM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:28 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:28 PM
    UC elements -
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Universal-Credit-Rates

Elements that should apply per.month.:
    Couple Standard £499
    Carers Element £151
    Housing Element - this would depend on your rent and (if not social housing) the Local Housing Allowance
    If your are assessed as not fit for work or work related activity, an additional £167 would be added.
    (Being £319 - £151, as I don't think it is possible to get both the carers & the LCWRA element together - but do check this)
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Universal-Credit/Additional-Elements-of-Universal-Credit

The work allowance is £192 per month, so c.£340 of your husband's income would be taken into account at a taper rate of 63%. (i.e £217)
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Earnings-taper-Universal-Credit

So excluding housing costs it could be:
    £499 + £151+ £167 (if you pass the LCWRA test) - £217 + the housing element.

i.e. £817 UC pm (plus hosing element for rent) + earnings of c. £490 + your PIP £606 monthly.

But please, please check this as UC is very new and I may not be completely correct
    And I have assumed you will be placed in the UC LCWRA group following a UC50 and an assessment (which will take some 3 months).

Do get that CAB appointment - even if you have to wait - give them an email and explain your circumstances,
    • candyandmandy
    • By candyandmandy 5th Jan 18, 9:22 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    candyandmandy
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:22 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:22 PM
    Thankyou very much Alice for your help and knowledge. At least i know where to start and thats with Universal credit.
    I will indeed get an appointment with the cab as soon as possible so they can help guide me through the claim etc.
    Again thankyou very much much appreciated.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 5th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    Council Tax reduction is administered by your local council, it is not included in UC.
    Get the form from your LA to apply.
    • candyandmandy
    • By candyandmandy 6th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    candyandmandy
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    I did'nt know that, thankyou again Alice honestly can't thankyou enough for your invaluable help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,298Posts Today

6,876Users online

Martin's Twitter