Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ExtraJazz
    • By ExtraJazz 5th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ExtraJazz
    Paying tax for brief period of self employment
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    Paying tax for brief period of self employment 5th Jan 18 at 6:14 PM
    Hi there, I hope that I'm posting this in the correct forum!

My girlfriend started working as a freelancer in November 2016, but only worked as self employed for 3 months, when she got offered a permanent position.

The trouble is that she still has not paid any tax for those 3 months of self employment. In fact, she did not even register as self employed yet!

This has been going on for way to long now, we've got to get this settled now, but we're really not sure how all this works. She has never received any letters or emails about this from HMRC, so we don't even know what the deadlines are and whether she has missed them already.

- Can she still register as self employed for these dates in the past?
    - How soon will she need to pay the tax that she owes (as we don't exactly... have that money at the moment)?
    - Will we have to pay any fines for being late?

Thanks for anyone who can give any answers/advice!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

17Posts Today

3,401Users online

Martin's Twitter