Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Times Are Hard
    • By Times Are Hard 5th Jan 18, 5:43 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Times Are Hard
    Best cash back card for paying £2500 lump sum
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:43 PM
    Best cash back card for paying £2500 lump sum 5th Jan 18 at 5:43 PM
    I already have an joint Amex platinum cash back card, but looking to get another cash back card to pay for ESTAS's and a £2500 lump sum which is for a British Airways booked surprise trip to NY for my wife.

After I've paid the £2500+ bill off, I won't really use the new card much, if at all. With all the conditions and terms of a new card, my brain is fried

What do you think the current best cash back card would be for me in this respect?

Thanks
Page 1
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 5th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    Assuming you're going to pay the card off in full I'd go for the Amex Preferred Rewards Gold card. You get points rather than cash but there are plenty of good redemption options. You get two free airport lounge visits which you can use during your trip and a huge 20,000 point bonus when you spend £2k.

Some more info here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/cashback-credit-cards#amexgold

If applying get a referral from someone on the referrers forum for more bonus points:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5557448&page=11
    • SuperHan
    • By SuperHan 5th Jan 18, 8:18 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    SuperHan
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:18 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:18 PM
    For the ESTAs, you'd be better with a foreign spending card, such as the MBNA Everyday or Halifax Clarity (or Santander Zero amongst others), which would give you Mastercard/VISA forex rates and no loading fees.
    • Times Are Hard
    • By Times Are Hard 6th Jan 18, 1:23 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Times Are Hard
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:23 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:23 PM
    thanks for helping

If AMEX website says "you will not be eligible for any welcome bonus award if you currently hold or have held membership rewards enrolled American express card in the past six months", then I'm not eligible as I already have AMEX platinum cash back card?
    Last edited by Times Are Hard; 06-01-2018 at 1:57 PM. Reason: t's & c's
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 6th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    If AMEX website says "you will not be eligible for any welcome bonus award if you currently hold or have held membership rewards enrolled American express card in the past six months", then I'm not eligible as I already have AMEX platinum cash back card?
    Originally posted by Times Are Hard
    That card pays cashback and isn't enrolled in membership rewards (this is the points-based scheme). I switched from the Platinum Cashback to Gold and got all the bonuses.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 6th Jan 18, 6:16 PM
    • 7,427 Posts
    • 7,991 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:16 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:16 PM
    For the ESTAs, you'd be better with a foreign spending card, such as the MBNA Everyday or Halifax Clarity (or Santander Zero amongst others), which would give you Mastercard/VISA forex rates and no loading fees.
    Originally posted by SuperHan
    ....but given that a pair of ESTAs comes to the grand total of $28, the saving is somewhat unlikely to be life-changing!

Although of course having such a card is useful for spending while there, which is likely to be a tad more than $28
    • Times Are Hard
    • By Times Are Hard 6th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Times Are Hard
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    I need to pay for the ESTA's without my wife knowing, so hopefully I can pay with the AMEX preferred rewards gold card.
    The official ESTA website says payment by PayPal, credit or debit card, but the AMEX preferred rewards gold card is a charge card, not debit/credit card.
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 6th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    newuser86
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    It counts as a credit card so should work. You can also link it to your PayPal account
    • Times Are Hard
    • By Times Are Hard 17th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Times Are Hard
    • 17th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

When other forum users send messages of offering to use their referral link and mentioning about giving us money etc, I'm new to this, so what is the guarantee they actually will?
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 17th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    newuser86
    I replied to this question on the amex referral board.

In essence there's nothing to stop people not paying ... Myself and a few others I have seen highlight the successful referrals within their posts.
    • Times Are Hard
    • By Times Are Hard 17th Jan 18, 4:42 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Times Are Hard
    As I already have an Amex platinum card, I won't get the 20,000 point bonus when spending £2k, I just spoke to Amex.
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 17th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    newuser86
    Do you have the amex platinum cashback card or the amex platinum card? There is a difference. If you have the platinum cashback card i believe you will still be eligible for the bonus. The platinum card is the upgraded version of the gold, hence no bonus
    Last edited by newuser86; 17-01-2018 at 7:35 PM. Reason: Add info
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,846Posts Today

8,079Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin