Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adamleucine
    • By adamleucine 5th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    adamleucine
    Extension Advice Wanted
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    Extension Advice Wanted 5th Jan 18 at 5:35 PM
    I live in a semi-detached house with a detached garage that is set back c1m from my house at the rear of my driveway. The garage building it's self is attached to next doors garage (who I'm not attached to). A double widt driveway separates our houses and they are not attached to their garage.

I am thinking of building a lean-to extension (orangery kind of, bricked walls and skylights) off the rear of my house, to gain access into my garage and convert the garage into a second living room/play room. My brother-in-law is a builder and could build this no problem.

My question is, is this possible? And what kind of permissions/regulations would I need? - Could I just have the extension built, have it inspected and signed off, then just continue with the garage conversion and document all the particulars to add them to my deeds at a later date? I was thinking of keeping the garage door for continuity with my neighbours garage but bricking it up on the inside.

Thanks in advance for any reply.
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Jan 18, 8:17 AM
    • 25,311 Posts
    • 93,070 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:17 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:17 AM
    The rear extension would probably fall within permitted development, but by the time you add in a conversion of the garage too, it might exceed the area allowed without planning permission.Since you haven't given measurements, no one can advise yet.

But to be clear, any garage conversion to a proper living room will require periodic inspection by building control to ensure it meets regs. The minute someone says they would just brick up behind the garage door and use a relative to do the work, I become suspicious that what's really intended is a surreptitious job, skirting the regs, rather than meeting them.

That might not be what you intend, but that's how it looks, as you cannot "document all the particulars to add them to my deeds at a later date."

Work has to be inspected as it progresses, or when you sell, you'll have to admit that the new living room has not been built to regs or signed-off. The attitude of potential buyers is impossible to predict. I'm sure they'd see it as an asset, but whether they'd pay more is a different matter. I wouldn't.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 6th Jan 18, 9:54 AM
    • 380 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:54 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:54 AM
    >The garage building it's self is attached to next doors garage<

Party Wall Act will likely apply then, separately from needing PP
    • adamleucine
    • By adamleucine 7th Jan 18, 5:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    adamleucine
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:25 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:25 PM
    Thanks for the info,

The garage would be converted to correct building regs definitely, brother-in-law was sure of that. The total distance from my house will be 3.5m by approx 4m wide so I don't think this will fall under permitted development.

I suppose the main question was how difficult, if so, would it be to be have plans approved to do this extension as intended? - What is involved with the Party Wall Act?

Thanks
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 7th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/party-wall-etc-act-1996-guidance
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jan 18, 6:50 AM
    • 25,311 Posts
    • 93,070 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:50 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:50 AM
    The total distance from my house will be 3.5m by approx 4m wide so I don't think this will fall under permitted development.
    Originally posted by adamleucine
    The size you quote isn't a problem under current legislation, valid till 30th May 2019.

This page should have been your first port of call:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/17/extensions

There are various caveats, including using neighbour consultation, but you shouldn't start by assuming permssion won't be granted.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,855Posts Today

6,952Users online

Martin's Twitter