Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 5th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 110Posts
    • 45Thanks
    Pdmum
    pcn to registered keeper
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    pcn to registered keeper 5th Jan 18 at 4:10 PM
    Received pcn as registered keeper. I am not the driver. Put in appeal using template letter which has been rejected. reason for rejection is different to reason shown on PCN. Does this breach POFA 4. If so what do i do now, I have been issued with a POPLA CODE.
Page 7
    • Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 27th Jun 18, 11:18 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Pdmum
    date of service 27th June, although postmark was 25th???
    Emailed and received acknowledgement today.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 28th Jun 18, 4:26 PM
    • 63,811 Posts
    • 76,448 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Completed my AOS by email, as claim not an online claim.
    Preparing my defence, is it necesary to include POPLA discrepencies at this stage? and should i reply to the points on claim in turn?
    Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Pdmum
    Yes and yes - show us your draft defence please, after reading lots here first!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 2nd Jul 18, 10:51 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Pdmum
    Draft Defence
    Copy of my first attempt,
    Any comments gratefully received

IN THE COUNTY COURT

CLAIM No: CXXXXXX

BETWEEN:

xxxxxxxxxx (Claimant)

-and-

xxxxxxxxxxxx (Defendant)

1.The Claimants contractual authority to operate in the car park in which the alleged incident occurred has not been proven as required by the Claimants Trade Association's Code of Practice B1.1 which states:

"If you operate parking management activities on land which is not owned by you, you must supply us with written authority from the land owner sufficient to establish you as the ‘Creditor’ within the meaning of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (where applicable) and in any event to establish you as a person who is able to recover parking charges."

1.1) In order to issue parking charges and to pursue unpaid charges via litigation, the Claimant is required to have the written authority of the landowner, on whose behalf they are acting as an agent. It is believed XXX does not hold a legitimate contract at this car park.
    1.2) The copy of contract provided under the Pre-action Protocol is heavily redacted,so cannot prove who signed it and none of the redacted signatures been witnessed.
    1.3) The handwritten date supercedes the date the claimant states the contract started and there is a four digit handwritten number on the front of the contract with no explanation to what this represents.
    1.4) Parts 2,3 and 4 of the contract are missing and Parts 10, 11, 13, 14, 16 & 17 are blank.

As an agent, the Claimant has no legal right to bring such a claim in their name which should be in the name of the landowner. Furthermore, no evidence of such authority has been supplied by the Claimant, and the Claimant is put to strict proof of the same, in the form of an unreacted and contemporaneous contract, or chain of authority, from the landowner to the Claimant. (This has been requested on 2 occasions.)
    A Managing Agent is not the Landowner.
    2. I am the defendant and the Registered Keeper of the vehicle in question. I am not the driver and have never driven this vehicle .There was no contract formed with the claimant by either the driver or the Defendant.
    2.1) ) It is denied that there was a contract made between the Claimant and the driver through signage.
    This case can be distinguished from ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 (the Beavis case) which was dependent upon an undenied contract formed by unusually prominent signage forming a clear offer and which turned on unique facts regarding the location and the interests of the landowner. Strict compliance with the BPA Code of Practice (CoP) was paramount and Mr Beavis was the driver who saw the signs and entered into a contract to pay £85 after exceeding a licence to park free.
    2.2)BPA's Code of Practice (18.3) states:

"Signs must be conspicuous and legible, and written in intelligible language, so that they are easy to see, read and understand."
    The signs at this site are very inconspicuous set against a dramatic backdrop of graffiti. The font size used is too small and impossible to read in daylight let alone at night during the time of the alleged breach.

2.3)BPA's Code of Practice (Appendix B) states:

"Signs should be readable and understandable at all times, including during the hours of darkness or at dusk if and when parking enforcement activity takes place at those times. This can be achieved in a variety of ways such as by direct lighting or by using the lighting for the parking area. If the sign itself is not directly or indirectly lit, we suggest that it should be made of a retro-reflective material."
    The Car Park is not well lit at night and there is no direct lighting to the signs.
    When arriving at the car park in which the alleged incident occurred it is impossible to see and read, let alone understand, the terms and conditions being imposed. Therefore, the driver did not have a fair opportunity to read about any terms and conditions involving this charge.
    Images provided by the claimant are not relevant to the alleged breach. (Relevant images have been requested on two occasions.)
    2.4) Bearing the above in mind, there was categorically no contract established between the driver and XXX. To draw on the basic guidelines of contract law for a contract to be effective the offer must be communicated. Therefore, there can be no acceptance of an agreement if the other person is without knowledge of the offer. In the absence of any proof of adequate signage that contractually bound the Defendant, there can have been no contract and the Claimant has no case.
    3. PCN sent to Defendant is not fully compliant with the Protection of Freedom Act 2012 and therefore no keeper liability can be established:-

Sch 4 Para9(2)(f) warn the keeper that if, after the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice is given-

(i)the amount of the unpaid parking charges specified under paragraph (d) has not been paid in full, and

(ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver,

the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid.

3.1 The Claimants states “ within 28 days of the notice” which is an attempt to put right the wording shown on PCN which says “If within 29 days”.
    Both of these statements do not comply with the strict wording required by POFA.
    The vital matter of full compliance was confirmed by parking law expert barrister Henry Greenslade in 2015.

The Defendant has not named the driver, and it cannot be assumed by the Claimant that the Defendant is the driver.
    I put the claimant to strict proof that the Defendant is personally liable for this claim.

4.PCN issued to Defendant stated reason as Failure to Pay for the Duration of Stay. Duration was recorded as being 2 hours and 18 minutes.
    4.1Defendant appealed as payment had been made. The appeal was rejected on the basis of The vehicle overstayed the PAID parking period.
    4.2Defendant appealed to POPLA and was rejected.
    A complaint was made to POPLA on the basis of a procedural error as comments to the claimants evidence had not been rebutted even though they had acknowledged receipt of said rebuttal. It was mentioned that the application of the BPA Code of Practice and relevant law should not be open to interpretation by an POPLA assessor.
    Both POPLA and the Claimant have been named in Parliamentry debates about Parking ( code of practice) Bill . My local MP has shown his full support.

Terms of Contract
    5. (f) Parking Period commences 5 minutes after entry.
    7.Claimant states here and twice in section 4 that there was an 18 minute overstay.
    Letter before Claim and POPLA rejection both state 16 minute overstay.

7.1 Taking 5(f) into account the maximum overstay would have to be 13 minutes.
    This is more than covered by the 2 Grace Periods as set out in the BPA Code of Practice which states a compulsory 10 minutes at the start of parking and a minimum 10 minutes at the end of parking.
    However the terms of Contract At 5 (f) have not been applied so the Contract is invalid.

Performance of Contract.
    8. The claimant knows that payment was made and the working order of the parking meters in relation to other users is irrelevant to the claim.
    8.1 The Defendant puts the claimant to strict proof of how the parking meters are synchronised with the ANPR cameras and also proof of the risk impact assessment before they applied to the DVLA for keeper details and issuing the PCN.

10, 11 and 12
    The Claimant wrote on xxxxx which was sent as a Letter before Claim. The parking overstay in this instance was quoted as 16 minutes. A duplicate copy of Popla evidence was provided as
    RELEVANT DOCUMENTS.
    It was stated that “This is not purported to be an exhaustive list of documents relevant to the Debt”
    The Defendants response on xxxxxx requested all documents relevant to alleged debt.
    SAR was requested.
    Claimants response on xxxxxx asked for a £10.00 fee for SAR .
    Documents requested still not provided.
    2nd SAR requested as Defendant was led to believe that this was free and felt that the Claimants lack of transparency in this process required more information.
    Response from Claimant considered SAR request to be manifestly unfounded and excessive but were prepared to now respond for a Fee of £30.00.

The Defendant has made a complaint to the ICO .

To date the Defendant has still not received all of the documents requested in reference to this Claim.
    The sum claimed from the Defendant ( if proven) cannot be more than would have been claimed from the driver.
    Strict proof is required of both admin costs and Legal representatives costs. The Legal representative is employed by the Claimant and is remunerated. Admin costs to be itemised.

In Summary:-
    PCN, POPLA Evidence from Claimant. LBC Documents and The Claim state:-
    1. Overstay of 18 minutes
    2. Overstay of 16 minutes
    3. Failure to enter the full, correct vehicle registration details at the payment terminal so PCN issued.
    4. Vehicle was parked for 4 hour and 21 minutes, payment made for 4 hours , PCN issued.
    Documents requested twice from Claimant still not provided.
    In view of the above conflicting information and the lack of transparency in pursuing this claim,
    The Court is invited to dismiss the Claim, and to allow such Defendant’s costs as are permissible under Civil Procedure Rule 27.14.

8) In the event the claim progresses, then as an unrepresented litigant in person, the Defendant reserves the right to alter, vary and add to this defence or reply to any further particulars of claim/documents the Claimant may provide.

I believe the facts contained in this Defence are true.

Registered Keeper/Defendant
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 2nd Jul 18, 11:44 PM
    • 63,811 Posts
    • 76,448 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    DEFENCE STATEMENT
    should be

DEFENCE
    Typo below - should be 'supersedes' but do you mean 'precedes'?
    1.3) The handwritten date supercedes
    And these parts below would be more at home later in your WS, as it's commentary about what you did when, and how unreasonable they were, rather than a defence to the claim, so I'd remove these two sections:

4.PCN issued to Defendant stated reason as Failure to Pay for the Duration of Stay. Duration was recorded as being 2 hours and 18 minutes.
    4.1Defendant appealed as payment had been made. The appeal was rejected on the basis of The vehicle overstayed the PAID parking period.
    4.2Defendant appealed to POPLA and was rejected.
    A complaint was made to POPLA on the basis of a procedural error as comments to the claimants evidence had not been rebutted even though they had acknowledged receipt of said rebuttal. It was mentioned that the application of the BPA Code of Practice and relevant law should not be open to interpretation by an POPLA assessor.
    Both POPLA and the Claimant have been named in Parliamentry debates about Parking ( code of practice) Bill . My local MP has shown his full support.

10, 11 and 12
    The Claimant wrote on xxxxx which was sent as a Letter before Claim. The parking overstay in this instance was quoted as 16 minutes. A duplicate copy of Popla evidence was provided as
    RELEVANT DOCUMENTS.
    It was stated that 'This is not purported to be an exhaustive list of documents relevant to the Debt'
    The Defendants response on xxxxxx requested all documents relevant to alleged debt.
    SAR was requested.
    Claimants response on xxxxxx asked for a £10.00 fee for SAR .
    Documents requested still not provided.
    2nd SAR requested as Defendant was led to believe that this was free and felt that the Claimants lack of transparency in this process required more information.
    Response from Claimant considered SAR request to be manifestly unfounded and excessive but were prepared to now respond for a Fee of £30.00.

The Defendant has made a complaint to the ICO .
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 02-07-2018 at 11:49 PM.
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 3rd Jul 18, 8:06 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Pdmum
    Thank you Coupon-mad, yes should be precedes. Will tweak and re-post.
    • Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 9th Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Pdmum
    Have (i hope) corrected spelling and tweaked my defence. Have added extra bits in place of previous points 4 and 10,11, and 12. This is purely to correspond with the numbered points on the claim. Is this good to go now. i understand i can give more detail in witness statement.

IN THE COUNTY COURT

BETWEEN:

xxxxxxxxxx (Claimant)

-and-

xxxxxxxxxxxx (Defendant)

1.The Claimants contractual authority to operate in the car park in which the alleged incident occurred has not been proven as required by the Claimants Trade Association's Code of Practice B1.1 which states:

"If you operate parking management activities on land which is not owned by you, you must supply us with written authority from the land owner sufficient to establish you as the ‘Creditor’ within the meaning of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (where applicable) and in any event to establish you as a person who is able to recover parking charges."

1.1) In order to issue parking charges and to pursue unpaid charges via litigation, the Claimant is required to have the written authority of the landowner, on whose behalf they are acting as an agent. It is believed XXX does not hold a legitimate contract at this car park.
    1.2) The copy of contract provided under the Pre-action Protocol is heavily redacted,so cannot prove who signed it and none of the redacted signatures been witnessed.
    1.3) The handwritten date precedes the date the claimant states the contract started and there is a four digit handwritten number on the front of the contract with no explanation to what this represents.
    1.4) Parts 2,3 and 4 of the contract are missing and Parts 10, 11, 13, 14, 16 & 17 are blank.

As an agent, the Claimant has no legal right to bring such a claim in their name which should be in the name of the landowner. Furthermore, no evidence of such authority has been supplied by the Claimant, and the Claimant is put to strict proof of the same, in the form of an unreacted and contemporaneous contract, or chain of authority, from the landowner to the Claimant.
    (This has been requested on 2 occasions.)
    A Managing Agent is not the Landowner.
    2. I am the defendant and the Registered Keeper of the vehicle in question. I am not the driver and have never driven this vehicle .There was no contract formed with the claimant by either the driver or the Defendant.
    2.1) It is denied that there was a contract made between the Claimant and the driver through signage.
    This case can be distinguished from ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 (the Beavis case) which was dependent upon an undenied contract formed by unusually prominent signage forming a clear offer and which turned on unique facts regarding the location and the interests of the landowner. Strict compliance with the BPA Code of Practice (CoP) was paramount and Mr Beavis was the driver who saw the signs and entered into a contract to pay £85 after exceeding a licence to park free.
    2.2)BPA's Code of Practice (18.3) states:

"Signs must be conspicuous and legible, and written in intelligible language, so that they are easy to see, read and understand."
    The signs at this site are very inconspicuous set against a dramatic backdrop of graffiti. The font size used is too small and impossible to read in daylight let alone at night during the time of the alleged breach.

2.3)BPA's Code of Practice (Appendix B) states:

"Signs should be readable and understandable at all times, including during the hours of darkness or at dusk if and when parking enforcement activity takes place at those times. This can be achieved in a variety of ways such as by direct lighting or by using the lighting for the parking area. If the sign itself is not directly or indirectly lit, we suggest that it should be made of a retro-reflective material."
    The Car Park is not well lit at night and there is no direct lighting to the signs.
    When arriving at the car park in which the alleged incident occurred it is impossible to see and read, let alone understand, the terms and conditions being imposed. Therefore, the driver did not have a fair opportunity to read about any terms and conditions involving this charge.
    Images provided by the claimant are not relevant to the alleged breach.
    (Relevant images have been requested on two occasions.)
    2.4) Bearing the above in mind, there was categorically no contract established between the driver and XXX. To draw on the basic guidelines of contract law for a contract to be effective the offer must be communicated. Therefore, there can be no acceptance of an agreement if the other person is without knowledge of the offer. In the absence of any proof of adequate signage that contractually bound the Defendant, there can have been no contract and the Claimant has no case.

3. PCN sent to Defendant is not fully compliant with the Protection of Freedom Act 2012 and therefore no keeper liability can be established:-
    Sch 4 Para9(2)(f) warn the keeper that if, after the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice is given:-

(i)the amount of the unpaid parking charges specified under paragraph (d) has not been paid in full, and

(ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver,

the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid.

3.1 The Claimants states “ within 28 days of the notice” which is an attempt to put right the wording shown on PCN which says “If within 29 days”.

Both of these statements do not comply with the strict wording required by POFA.

The vital matter of full compliance was confirmed by parking law expert barrister Henry Greenslade in 2015.

The Defendant has not named the driver, and it cannot be assumed by the Claimant that the Defendant is the driver.
    I put the claimant to strict proof that the Defendant is personally liable for this claim.

4.The Claimant is assuming the Defendant is the driver in this statement. The Defendant is the registered keeper and the alleged overstay cannot have been 18 minutes.

Terms of Contract
    5 (f) States Parking Period commences 5 minutes after entry.

Claimant states here and twice in section 4 that there was an 18 minute overstay.

5.1 Taking 5(f) into account the maximum overstay would have to be 13 minutes.

This is more than covered by the 2 Grace Periods as set out in the BPA Code of Practice which states a compulsory 10 minutes at the start of parking and a minimum 10 minutes at the end of parking.
    However the terms of Contract At 5 (f) have not been applied so the Contract is invalid.

6.Signage does not comply with the BPA Code of Practice.

7.Claimant is assuming Defendant is the driver. The Defendant is the registered keeper.
    There is no contract with the Defendant so there is no breach of contract.

Performance of Contract.
    8. The claimant knows that payment was made and the working order of the parking meters in relation to other users is irrelevant to the claim.
    8.1 The Defendant puts the claimant to strict proof of how the parking meters are synchronised with the ANPR cameras and also proof of the risk impact assessment before they applied to the DVLA for keeper details and issuing the PCN.

9,10, 11 and 12

To date the Defendant has still not received all of the documents requested in reference to this Claim.
    The sum claimed from the Defendant ( if proven) cannot be more than would have been claimed from the driver.
    Strict proof is required of both admin costs and Legal representatives costs.
    The Legal representative is employed by the Claimant and is remunerated.
    Admin costs to be itemised.

In Summary:-

PCN, POPLA Evidence from Claimant. LBC Documents and The Claim state:-

1. Overstay of 18 minutes
    2. Overstay of 16 minutes
    3. Failure to enter the full, correct vehicle registration details at the payment terminal so PCN issued.
    4. Vehicle was parked for 4 hour and 21 minutes, payment made for 4 hours , PCN issued.

In view of the above conflicting information and the lack of transparency in pursuing this claim,
    The Court is invited to dismiss the Claim, and to allow such Defendant’s costs as are permissible under Civil Procedure Rule 27.14.

In the event the claim progresses, then as an unrepresented litigant in person, the Defendant reserves the right to alter, vary and add to this defence or reply to any further particulars of claim/documents the Claimant may provide.

• Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 10th Jul 18, 9:30 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Pdmum
    Have also added points 6 & 7 to above (i hope) final draft.
    Would anyone mind looking over before i send. Thank You
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Jul 18, 12:35 AM
    • 63,811 Posts
    • 76,448 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I'm confused by your numbering, what's
    9,10, 11 and 12
    doing there, is it because the forum was chopping off the numbers from your real version?

I wouldn't have the 'in summary' bit which then repeats 1,2,3,4 again!
    • Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 11th Jul 18, 10:23 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Pdmum
    Points 9,10,11 and 12 of the claim are the paperchase by the PC and my attempt to replace what i had removed. My thinking was that i should respond to each point in turn.

Would it just be better to remove the numbers and leave the text.

So points 7 and 8 of the claim both state Defendant as driver.

This has already been addressed at point 7 "Claimant is assuming Defendant is the driver. The Defendant is the registered keeper."

Is it necessary to repeat this at point 8.
    Removing In Summary and numbers but should i leave in text

Overstay of 18 minutes
    Overstay of 16 minutes
    Failure to enter the full, correct vehicle registration details at the payment terminal so PCN issued.
    Vehicle was parked for 4 hour and 21 minutes, payment made for 4 hours , PCN issued.

Does this look almost good to go?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 63,811 Posts
    • 76,448 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Every paragraph needs a number.

And I think you need to explain things a bit better, as it isn't clear to me what you are saying here:
    Overstay of 18 minutes
    Overstay of 16 minutes
    Failure to enter the full, correct vehicle registration details at the payment terminal so PCN issued.
    Vehicle was parked for 4 hour and 21 minutes, payment made for 4 hours , PCN issued.
    What are you trying to say, that they've stated 3 different timings? If so, say that.
    • Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 16th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Pdmum
    There are posters on here that can advise on you specific details. General advise is to read the Newbies thread and start a thread specific to your circumstances.

Good Luck!
    • Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 16th Jul 18, 7:07 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Pdmum
    Have re-numbered my defence and added a few points here and there, hopefully to make more sense.

Does this look good enough to submit?

IN THE COUNTY COURT

BETWEEN:

xxxxxxxxxx (Claimant)

-and-

xxxxxxxxxxxx (Defendant)

"If you operate parking management activities on land which is not owned by you, you must supply us with written authority from the land owner sufficient to establish you as the !!!8216;Creditor!!!8217; within the meaning of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (where applicable) and in any event to establish you as a person who is able to recover parking charges."
    A managing agent is not the landowner.

1.3) The handwritten date precedes the date the claimant states the contract started and there is a four digit handwritten number on the front of the contract with no explanation to what this represents.

As an agent, the Claimant has no legal right to bring such a claim in their name which should be in the name of the landowner. Furthermore, no evidence of such authority has been supplied by the Claimant, and the Claimant is put to strict proof of the same, in the form of an unreacted and contemporaneous contract, or chain of authority, from the landowner to the Claimant.
    (This has been requested on 2 occasions.)

3. It is denied that there was a contract made between the Claimant and the driver through signage.
    Signage does not comply with the BPA Code of Practice. Including but not limited to the following:-
    3.1) BPA's Code of Practice (18.3) states:

3.1)BPA's Code of Practice (Appendix B) states:

The Claimant is put to strict proof of how the signage in darkness at night ( time of alleged breach).
    Images provided by the claimant are not relevant to the alleged breach.
    (Relevant images have been requested on two occasions.)
    3.2) Bearing the above in mind, there was categorically no contract established between the driver and the Claimant. To draw on the basic guidelines of contract law for a contract to be effective the offer must be communicated. Therefore, there can be no acceptance of an agreement if the other person is without knowledge of the offer. In the absence of any proof of adequate signage that contractually bound the driver, there can have been no contract and the Claimant has no case.

4.PCN sent to Defendant is not fully compliant with the Protection of Freedom Act 2012 and therefore no keeper liability can be established:-
    Sch 4 Para9(2)(f) warn the keeper that if, after the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice is given:-

4.1 The Claimants states !!!8220; within 28 days of the notice!!!8221; which is an attempt to put right the wording shown on PCN which says !!!8220;If within 29 days!!!8221;.

Both of these statements do not comply with the strict wording required by POFA and would mean that the Claimant is claiming keeper liability too soon.

The vital matter of full compliance with the POFA was confirmed by parking law expert barrister, Henry Greenslade, the previous POPLA Lead Adjudicator, in 2015: (I have attached a copy of the wording from the Popla Annual Report 2015 for your information):

Understanding keeper liability
    !!!8220;There appears to be continuing misunderstanding about Schedule 4. Provided certain conditions are strictly complied with, it provides for recovery of unpaid parking charges from the keeper of the vehicle.

There is no !!!8216;reasonable presumption!!!8217; in law that the registered keeper of a vehicle is the driver. Operators should never suggest anything of the sort. Further, a failure by the recipient of a notice issued under Schedule 4 to name the driver, does not of itself mean that the recipient has accepted that they were the driver at the material time. Unlike, for example, a Notice of Intended Prosecution where details of the driver of a vehicle must be supplied when requested by the police, pursuant to Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988,a keeper sent a Schedule 4 notice has no legal obligation to name the driver.[...] If {POFA 2012 Schedule 4 is} not complied with then keeper liability does not generally pass.''

5.The Claimant is assuming the Defendant is the driver in this statement. The Defendant is the registered keeper and the alleged overstay cannot have been 18 minutes.

Terms of Contract on Claim.

5 (f) States Parking Period commences 5 minutes after entry.

Claimant states here and twice in section 4 that there was an 18 minute overstay.

5.1 Taking 5(f) into account the maximum overstay would have to be 13 minutes.

6.Claimant is assuming Defendant is the driver. The Defendant is the registered keeper.
    There is no contract with the Defendant so there is no breach of contract.

Performance of Contract.
    7. The claimant knows that payment was made and the working order of the parking meters in relation to other users is irrelevant to the claim.

7.1) This Claimant uses ANPR camera systems to process data but fails to comply with the Information Commissioner's 'Data Protection Code of Practice for Surveillance Cameras and Personal Information'. This Code confirms that it applies to ANPR systems, and that the private sector is required to follow this code to meet its legal obligations as a data processor. Members of the British Parking Association AOS are required to comply fully with the DPA, as a pre-requisite of being able to use the DVLA KADOE system and in order to enforce parking charges on private land.
    The Claimant's failures to comply include, but are not limited to:
    a) Lack of an initial privacy impact assessment, and
    b) Lack of an evaluation of proportionality and necessity, considering concepts that would impact upon fairness under the first data protection principle, and
    c) Failure to regularly evaluate whether it was necessary and proportionate to continue using ANPR at all times/days across the site, as opposed to a less privacy-intrusive method of parking enforcement (such as 'light touch' enforcement only at busy times, or manning the car park with a warden in order to consider the needs of genuine shoppers and taking into account the prevailing conditions at the site on any given day), and
    d) Failure to prominently inform a driver in large lettering on clear signage, of the purpose of the ANPR system and how the data would be used, and
    e) Lack of the 'Privacy Notice' required to deliver mandatory information about an individual's right of subject access, under the Data Protection Act (DPA). At no point has the Defendant been advised by the Claimant how to apply for a Subject Access Request, what that is, nor informed of the legal right to obtain all relevant data held.

7.2) The Defendant puts the claimant to strict proof of how the parking meters are synchronised with the ANPR cameras and also proof of the risk impact assessment before they applied to the DVLA for keeper details and issuing the PCN.

8. The sum claimed from the Defendant ( if proven) cannot be more than would have been claimed from the driver.
    The Claimant is attempting to claim additional charges such as solicitors, court fee and legal costs . This is an attempt at double recovery.

The claim is based on an alleged contractual parking charge of £100. The amount claimed on the claim form is £235.00. This inflation of the considered amount is a gross abuse of process.

The Protection of Freedoms Act does not permit the Claimant to recover a sum greater than the parking charge on the day before a Notice to Keeper was issued. The Claimant cannot recover additional charges. The Defendant also has the reasonable belief that the Claimant has not incurred the stated additional costs and it is put to strict proof that they have indeed been incurred. Furthermore, legal costs cannot be recovered in the Small Claims Court and should be struck out as unrecoverable.
    8.1) Strict proof is required of both admin costs and Legal representatives costs.
    The Legal representative is employed by the Claimant and is remunerated.
    Admin costs ( if applicable) to be itemised.

9. To date the Claimant has provided documents which show 6 different reasons for the issue of the Parking Charge Notice.
    Documents necessary for the Defendant to make a full defence, have to date, still not been provided.

The Court is invited to dismiss the Claim, and to allow such Defendant!!!8217;s costs as are permissible under Civil Procedure Rule 27.14.

In the event the claim progresses, then as an unrepresented litigant in person, the Defendant reserves the right to alter, vary and add to this defence or reply to any further particulars of claim/documents the Claimant may provide.

• Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 18th Jul 18, 9:31 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Pdmum
    Have added extra points with regard to DPA and ANPR.

Have also added extra points regarding Claimants costs.
    Know its really busy and will be very grateful for any final comments before i submit.
    Thank You
    • Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 20th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Pdmum
    Will be very grateful if someone could look over my edited defence before i send.
    Have added a few more points ,does this look ample now.
    Thank You
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 20th Jul 18, 9:07 PM
    • 10,523 Posts
    • 10,920 Thanks
    KeithP
    On 27th June I asked:
    What is the Date of Issue on your Claim Form?
    Originally posted by KeithP
    You responded:
    date of service 27th June, although postmark was 25th???
    Originally posted by Pdmum
    Not the answer to the question asked.

If you are right on the date of service, then you have until 4pm on Wednesday 25th July to file your Defence.

When you are happy with the content, your Defence should be filed via email as described here:

1) Print your Defence
    2) Sign it
    3) Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    4) Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    5) Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    6) Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defended". If not chase the CCBC until it is.
    7) Wait for the Directions Questionnaire and come back here.
    Last edited by KeithP; 20-07-2018 at 9:11 PM.
    • Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 20th Jul 18, 11:00 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Pdmum
    Sorry Keith,
    Date of service is 27th June but issue date on top of form is 23rd June. Completely missed that.
    Does this mean i still have till 25th July to submit?

Does the defence look ok ?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 20th Jul 18, 11:19 PM
    • 10,523 Posts
    • 10,920 Thanks
    KeithP
    With a Claim Issue Date of 23rd June, the Date of Service is 28th June. Date of Service is five days after Date of Issue.

That in turn means that, having done the AoS in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Thursday 26th July to file your Defence.
    • Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 20th Jul 18, 11:34 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Pdmum
    Thanks Keith, claim wasnt done through MCOL for some reason but assume i will get an acknowledgement of email anyway.
    Thanks again
    • Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 21st Jul 18, 12:34 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Pdmum
    Just a final thought.... Alleged landowner contract has expired early. Should i make this point in my defence?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 21st Jul 18, 2:03 PM
    • 10,523 Posts
    • 10,920 Thanks
    KeithP
    Thank you for reminding me that the claim wasn't issued via MCOL.

Please check that your Defence should be filed with the County Court Business Centre before following the filing instructions I have provided.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5Posts Today

3,923Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin