Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nicos42
    • By nicos42 5th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 6Thanks
    nicos42
    Impossible estate agents
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    Impossible estate agents 5th Jan 18 at 3:37 PM
    Had the most stressful experience buying first house from having to change solicitors to bad survey. I feel like i m worst buyer around because the estate agent implies that the surveyor is over the top and what he pointed out is extreme and i shoild take it with a pinch of salt and implies that my new solicitor is slow and i m being dificult.
    I negotiated the price down but as agreed in writing the seller had to fix two things whilst i m left with damp treatment and roof works.
    Now i m near the exchsnge the estate agent was trying to get me to exchange without the two repairs the seller agreed to do.
    He told me that my solicitor questions are over the top but the seller has no warranties for some insurance claims work they have done or any paper work for Windows and doors.
    When i insisted that i want to view before exchange to check taps and gas the ea almost told me that i m stupid and no one these days do viewings before exchange and he constantly plays on my soft spot that thr seller has very young todlerd qnd is dificult to arrange.
    Rant over but am I really being that unreasonable?
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 5th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    • 17,028 Posts
    • 8,917 Thanks
    ACG
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    Sod the agent. 9 times out of 10 they are just commission grabbing salesmen.

Take the advice of your solicitor on whether or not to exchange. That is the only voice you should be listening to.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 5th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 876 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    EA will be pushy and just want the sale wrapped up. If it helps, communicate via your solicitor only, or talk to the vendor directly but you are the one paying so hang out until your 100% happy. You can always dig your heels in and hold out, or just exchange. Viewing before exchange is quite common. Are they hiding something?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    Not your agent, not your problem.
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 5th Jan 18, 3:48 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:48 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:48 PM
    We viewed the place we've just bought three times, once just before exchange. I think if you appreciate the vendor may need a little bit of notice and try to be flexible with when you go it shouldn't be a problem if they are serious about selling and have nothing to hide.

As a seller we only turned down one request to view that our buyer had and that was only because it was after exchange, one day before completion when we had the removals guys packing!

As others have said,don't get pushed around by anyone, just listen to your solicitor.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Part-time gigger and charity volunteer 2018
    • aneary
    • By aneary 5th Jan 18, 3:57 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    aneary
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:57 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:57 PM
    No, for all you know an internal wall could have been taken down I would absolutely insist on seeing the property before exchange and the EA being awkward would make me more insistent.

A solicitor has spent many years studying and training so I would go with the Solicitor not an EA.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 5th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 3,165 Posts
    • 6,283 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    I would think long and hard about whether to exchange at all or whether to walk away with those problems but of course that is your call. Certainly do not listen to a word an EA says especially so close to exchange. December and January are traditionally quiet months for the property market and they are probably desperate to hit targets/claw in some commission, neither of which is your problem.

How about responding in kind to their character assassination of you? A few choice sentences about their unreasonable and obstructive attitude and woeful lack of professionalism, perhaps?

All EAs are bullies to some extent; it is probably a job requirement. This one sounds as if they are abusing the privilege. You know the only way to deal with bullies, don't you?

Good luck.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 5th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 20,321 Posts
    • 16,080 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    I negotiated the price down but as agreed in writing the seller had to fix two things whilst i m left with damp treatment and roof works.
    Now i m near the exchsnge the estate agent was trying to get me to exchange without the two repairs the seller agreed to do.
    Originally posted by nicos42
    I would say that you should exchange without the work being done, but after a further reduction in the purchase price. Do you really want the seller to get the work done by the lowest bidder using the shoddiest materials and unskilled workers, or would you rather have the money to pay for it to be done yourself to an acceptable standard?
    • nicos42
    • By nicos42 5th Jan 18, 4:26 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    nicos42
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:26 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:26 PM
    Thanks everyone. I thought I m being a nightmare buyer.
    Great advice always and they agreed on viewing before the exchange. Thats the problem i cant be a bully myself and i m very soft abd guess they worked that out. Vendor is not been honest either about damp and problems. The house is great even with the prolems and i m buying it but I ll get the solicitor to put the EA in his place. So rude and it does make me laugh how they tell me to trust them as they the professionals and this is my first house buy and i know nothing
    Thanks again for taking the time to help
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 5th Jan 18, 4:35 PM
    • 3,165 Posts
    • 6,283 Thanks
    Smodlet
    1) The EA is the one who is being a nightmare.

2) You are the buyer so no-one can move without your say so. This puts you in charge. The vendor could, of course, put the house back on the market but few want to start the whole process again especially in January, right after the rush to "be in by Christmas" is a lost dream. You could, if you wished, try looking into a mirror and repeating a condensed version of the above if you think it would help you to feel more assertive; I wouldn't mind.

3) The EA is a bully. Bullies are beneath contempt. All bullies are cowards. This EA sounds really desperate so is probably bricking themselves (pun intended)

4) Stop worrying about being "nice" and man up! Or take the risk of being walked all over; your choice.

HTH.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 5th Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    • 3,683 Posts
    • 5,527 Thanks
    bouicca21
    The EA handling my last purchase said similar stuff. My solicitor was !!!!, he knew the law better than she did, etc etc. I'm not sure whether it was my age or my gender that led him to believe I was gullible. i've believed every nasty stereotypical comment about EAs ever since.
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 5th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 1,793 Thanks
    AlexMac
    Thanks everyone. ... I ll get the solicitor to put the EA in his place. So rude and it does make me laugh how they tell me to trust them as they are the professionals...T
    Originally posted by nicos42
    You seem to have it sorted nicos, so good luck. But aren't you being a bit harsh on EAs? The Cambridge Dictionary includes the following in their definitions of professional:

"having the type of job that is respected because it involves a high level of education and training"

After all, it's not as if anyone with a shiny suit, gelled hair and a liveried Mini can call themselves an EA?

Err; oh - hang on...
    • Nadeshkarine
    • By Nadeshkarine 6th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Nadeshkarine
    I could have written this opening post!
    Our estate agent has called our solicitor pedantic because he says we need a certain piece of paperwork before exchanging. The sellers have requested it but it takes a couple of weeks to produce. EA said he was "sure" it would arrive without an issue and we should just give notice on our rental and exchange (in that order!) anyway. Got quite frustrated and short with me when I when I wouldn't agree with this argument.
    He then rang my other half to try to get him to agree to it, saying I was making us lose the house!

My solicitor says he sees this all the time, they just want the sale done ASAP and don't like you asking questions. I have to say this sort of thing really does cement the less than stellar reputation of EAs. This dealing with the EA has been the only time I've actually been stressed in this process.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Jan 18, 2:14 PM
    • 3,165 Posts
    • 6,283 Thanks
    Smodlet
    There really should be a code of coduct to which EAs have to adhere... That is better than the one they do adhere to!
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 6th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    pinklady21
    I have also lost out on a purchase that we were very serious about, partly because the seller's EA lied to me. Then the EA denied they had lied, saying there must have been a "misunderstanding". Suspect the EA was also not truthful with the seller, causing the seller to refuse to sell to us.....
    and the property remains on the market, unsold 3 months later. Whose interests are being served by this nonsense and sharp practice?
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 6th Jan 18, 6:22 PM
    • 3,349 Posts
    • 3,580 Thanks
    cjdavies
    The estate agents are not buying the house and if any problems come up there is no come back for them, and only act on the seller's behalf
    Last edited by cjdavies; 06-01-2018 at 6:29 PM.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 7th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 3,186 Posts
    • 8,087 Thanks
    tori.k
    The smartest thing we did when dealing with EA is direct our queries to the youngest/newest member of the team, they still have passion for the job and trying to build there own professional reputation. The win and the kick back to the less experienced of getting the deal done means more to them then the pocket change that the older partners will get.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Mortgage Free (stage 3) 140000/ 1500
    Save 12k in 2018 #76 3000/6000
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 7th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 4,540 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    csgohan4
    If the EA's lips are moving, they are lying
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 7th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 4,885 Thanks
    robatwork
    Here is the official advice from the National Careers Service on the qualifications required to become an Estate Agent:

1. Entry requirements
    There are no formal entry requirements

So there you have it - you're taking "advice" from a completely unskilled untrained and unqualified "professional". If you get a good one they may have a maths gcse.

Assume they know nothing about the law, about house construction, electrics, damp or personal hygiene. You may find one who has picked up knowledge about these, but assume what they know about is money.

Finally remember the agent isn't working for you so you owe them nothing, financially or morally, so it matters not if you annoy them.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Jan 18, 10:14 AM
    • 3,165 Posts
    • 6,283 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Here is the official advice from the National Careers Service on the qualifications required to become an Estate Agent:

1. Entry requirements
    There are no formal entry requirements

So there you have it - you're taking "advice" from a completely unskilled untrained and unqualified "professional". If you get a good one they may have a maths gcse.

Assume they know nothing about the law, about house construction, electrics, damp or personal hygiene. You may find one who has picked up knowledge about these, but assume what they know about is money.

Finally remember the agent isn't working for you so you owe them nothing, financially or morally, so it matters not if you annoy them.
    Originally posted by robatwork

Amen to that. It might even be posited that you have a moral duty to annoy them on principle.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,012Posts Today

8,411Users online

Martin's Twitter