Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DIYhelp76
    • By DIYhelp76 5th Jan 18, 3:34 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 3Thanks
    DIYhelp76
    Samsung Galaxy S2 - Software update - how to?
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:34 PM
    Samsung Galaxy S2 - Software update - how to? 5th Jan 18 at 3:34 PM
    Hope someone can help.

I have an Galaxy S2 mobile phone which I've owned since new.

I have never updated the software in that time - I tried a few times but couldn't get it to work - the phone just comes up with a message saying it cannot update and I haven't had any luck doing it with Kies. I kind of gave up and time passed by....

Now, although the phone still works fine I find I can't download new Apps as they're not compatible with the old software.

I went into a Samsung shop but they told me they couldn't do it as they don't have the older software updates available.

How can I upgrade the software and would I have to upgrade to each of the new software in sequence or can I just jump from its current software to the latest one?

Are the old software upgrades available freely online?

I'm not very technical, which is why I haven't done this ages ago.

Current software is: Gingerbread

Android 2.3.3

GT-I9100

Many thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 10,499 Posts
    • 4,434 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    See updato.com for firmware .
    • DIYhelp76
    • By DIYhelp76 5th Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    DIYhelp76
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    Many thanks JJ Egan.

That site is useful although none of the reference numbers on my phone exactly match the firmware listed there.

I've found one download for Jelly Bean only which I'm downloading now to the laptop.

Not sure how to get this to update the phone - is anyone able to guide me?

Also can I update from Gingerbread directly to Jelly Bean or would I need to update step by step through:

Honeycomb
    Ice Cream Sandwich
    Jelly Bean
    Kitkat
    Lollipop

I'm assuming going as far as say Jelly Bean will allow my phone to be able to download current Apps.

Sorry, clueless as to how to go about this - any step by step advice most welcome!
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 5th Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 1,594 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    I have one on Jelly bean which is as far as the official updates took it. It is no longer supported for security updates.
    So if you are going to update further take it at the very least to Lollipop, which is, AFAIK, the furthest security updates go.
    Unless you aren't bothered too much about those.
    I'm just recharging mine so I'm not sure which apps it will accept at the moment. I'll give it a try tomorrow, was there a specific app you were trying to download?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 6th Jan 18, 9:10 AM
    • 5,798 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:10 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:10 AM
    you have missed the latest 3 x updates off your list marshmallow, nougat and oreo.

have you looked here

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2

installing custom roms isn't easy and in my experience has always produced disappointing results especially with battery and camera performance.

while you have nothing to lose by installing a custom rom i would be looking at buying a new phone
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 10,499 Posts
    • 4,434 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    I have the opposite experience but always use custom Samsung not Android roms .
    • toshi
    • By toshi 6th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    toshi
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    Alternative Opensource Android 7.1 supports Galaxy S II (i9100)
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    (Edit) Android OS has been developed as a part of Android Open Source Project. http://source.android.com/ Google has an obligation to supply the source code.

(Edit ends)

Then, what happens? Development community starts to develop their custom Android for their existing devices to extend their hardware life much longer. Lineage OS is the one of the most established Custom Rom communities. (according to them 1.7 million users in the world)

Thanks to free (freedom) open source developer!!!8217;s community effort, LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1) supports Samsung Galaxy S II (i9100) officially.

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/i9100

As a community development, you will find distinctive features such as lightweight, full customisation, no bloatware (i.e. longer battery life), privacy protection etc. (even you can block complete advertisement,)

As JJ Egan said, the custom ROM users, including myself. always appreciate the longer battery life, and performance improvement. Especially it is true for older devices. (You can install application only you really need it, which means optimise services and longer battery life) Once you started to use the Custom Rom, you will appreciate the power of software development to improve your user experiences.

In a way, all of us are the victims of software planned obsolescence, as long as the users wish to keep using their lovable devices, they should be able to do so. (Saving money and this planet from silly eWaste) Android Custom Rom development is no incentive commercially, therefore lack of publicity. I understand that this is not everybody!!!8217;s solution, but it is worth informing alternative solution for extending your Android devices life much much longer with greater user experiences

Happy Hacking

References:
    Nearly 200 Android devices are supported by LineageOS officially, you may want to use these devices !
    https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/

XDA is the best recourse for Android Custom Rom development
    https://www.xda-developers.com/
    Last edited by toshi; 06-01-2018 at 3:07 PM. Reason: Added initial part
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    • 27,211 Posts
    • 10,961 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    Dont update it. It only gets worse....

We had 2 Galaxy S2's in the house, daughter updated hers and regretted it. Left mine totally stock and it just worked.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 6th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    • 8,200 Posts
    • 5,951 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    As toshi says, I run Lineage OS on my Samsung Galaxy SII. It runs all the apps that I've tried to install (except one very graphics-intensive racing game) and has the latest security updates, unlike the latest official ROM for the phone. And there's no bloatware.

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/i9100/install

I had to repartition the device to make room for the OS and GApps (Google apps). I also use Apps2SD so I can disable/remove built-in components (like the calendar, exchange server, etc.) and move apps in their entirety to an external SD card.
    Last edited by esuhl; 06-01-2018 at 4:53 PM.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Jan 18, 10:13 PM
    • 27,211 Posts
    • 10,961 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Original S2 didnt need Apps2SD it just did that out of the box
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• esuhl
    • By esuhl 7th Jan 18, 1:31 AM
    • 8,200 Posts
    • 5,951 Thanks
    esuhl
    Original S2 didnt need Apps2SD it just did that out of the box
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    The Android OS can't/won't fully move apps to the SD card. And you can't physically uninstall many preinstalled components.

The only way round this (that I'm aware of) is to use an app like Apps2SD.
    Last edited by esuhl; 07-01-2018 at 1:34 AM.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 27,211 Posts
    • 10,961 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Nope the original S2 may have been gingerbread? And that could move apps to the SD with no issues, one of teh updates did kill it. But I didnt update it at all.

Installed directly to the SD from the play store.

Gingerbread 2.3?

• esuhl
    • By esuhl 8th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 8,200 Posts
    • 5,951 Thanks
    esuhl
    Nope the original S2 may have been gingerbread? And that could move apps to the SD with no issues, one of teh updates did kill it. But I didnt update it at all.

Installed directly to the SD from the play store.

Gingerbread 2.3?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    No -- I don't think that's ever been possible with Android. Try moving a big program (like Firefox) to the SD card, and you will see that it still uses internal storage space. Android doesn't allow you to move executable files.

That's why you need Apps2SD. And even with Apps2SD, you need to root your phone and create a secondary system partition -- you can't just use FAT32 as you normally would on an SD card.
    • glennevis
    • By glennevis 8th Jan 18, 4:07 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    glennevis
    Not necessary to use the apps2SD app if when you repartition the S2 you increase the ROM partition to 1GB AND /system to 4GB. That way you have the space to install ROMs running more recent OS versions and, with the larger system partition, there is no need to move any apps to the internal SD card.
    Last edited by glennevis; 08-01-2018 at 4:08 AM. Reason: typo
    • ptrichardson
    • By ptrichardson 18th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    ptrichardson
    Yep, Lineage would be pretty much the only thing I'd recommend - but the experience is going to suck AND its not very easy to do unless you're a techie-minded person.

Even a £60 modern phone would be a massive improvement. Massive.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 20th Jan 18, 3:05 PM
    • 8,200 Posts
    • 5,951 Thanks
    esuhl
    Not necessary to use the apps2SD app if when you repartition the S2 you increase the ROM partition to 1GB AND /system to 4GB. That way you have the space to install ROMs running more recent OS versions and, with the larger system partition, there is no need to move any apps to the internal SD card.
    Originally posted by glennevis
    Ah -- thanks for that. For some bizarre reason I didn't realise you could repartition the internal storage like that... duh!

If anyone else is interested in doing that and installing Lineage OS, there's a pretty straightforward guide here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2/help/preparing-clean-loss-data-installation-t3712409

At the end, it just says to install LineageOS, but you probably want to install Google Apps and optionally enable root access, as explained in the last couple of steps (step 7 to 12) right at the bottom of this page:

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/i9100/install

I've now got 8GB storage space for apps (instead of 2GB) and don't need Apps2SD.

Yep, Lineage would be pretty much the only thing I'd recommend - but the experience is going to suck AND its not very easy to do unless you're a techie-minded person.

Originally posted by ptrichardson
    I agree that you probably need to be vaguely techie to install Lineage. But it's not that hard, and it's a great experience -- much better than the stock ROM!

My phone now has a much more up-to-date OS with all the security updates that come with it, and performance seems slightly better than with the stock ROM. It was easy to install AdAway to block adverts in all apps.

It's made my old phone usable... and was completely free!

Sure, the S2 doesn't have the performance of the latest phones, but if the only reason for upgrading is because you've run out of app space or because you want the latest security updates, then put your money away and look no further! :-)
    • toshi
    • By toshi 23rd Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    toshi
    Yep, Lineage would be pretty much the only thing I'd recommend ....

Originally posted by ptrichardson
    £60 modern phone = 2017 Motorola Moto C (C for crap) may be as not good as 2012 Samsung Galaxy S2 (AMOLED) with LineageOS

If you are not lucky to have a Galaxy S2, Get a 2013 Nexus 5 at £60, of course things you need to do is to install Lineage OS.

[edit]
    Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II (2011) Motorola Moto C (2017) LG Nexus 5 (2013) specification comparison

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3621&idPhone2=8645&idPhone3= 5705

[edit end]

"Software obsolescence" depreciates the value of Smartphone. A friend of mine has got a 2013 NEXUS 5. I installed a Linage OS 14.1 to his NEXUS 5. Yes, this will be the great value. Installing a latest Custom Rom definitely adds the value a lot.

If anyone else is interested in doing that and installing Lineage OS, there's a pretty straightforward guide here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2/help/preparing-clean-loss-data-installation-t3712409

Sure, the S2 doesn't have the performance of the latest phones, but if the only reason for upgrading is because you've run out of app space or because you want the latest security updates, then put your money away and look no further! :-)
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Well said. Happy hacking !
    Last edited by toshi; 24-01-2018 at 2:22 PM. Reason: specification comparison link added
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 23rd Jan 18, 10:21 PM
    • 8,200 Posts
    • 5,951 Thanks
    esuhl
    "Software obsolescence" depreciates the value of Smartphone.
    Originally posted by toshi
    It's funny how so many people have the idea that phones are disposable things that you buy every year or two.

I got out my old Samsung U100 to use while I sorted out the S2. It's was released ten years ago, but it still looks and feels "futuristic". It's a mere 5.9mm thick and weighs 57 grams! But for some reason, you can't set the date beyond 2016... :-/
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 24th Jan 18, 8:24 AM
    • 5,798 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    It's funny how so many people have the idea that phones are disposable things that you buy every year or two.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    i don't think that is the case so much now as new mobile tech slows. had my last phone (note 3) for for 4 years until it started cutting out. the previous phone (note) i had for approx 6 years. i sold that as i installed a custom rom (lineage?) but was unhappy with the results. my new pixel xl i plan on keeping for at least 4 years.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • toshi
    • By toshi 24th Jan 18, 11:55 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    toshi
    i don't think that is the case so much now as new mobile tech slows. had my last phone (note 3) for for 4 years until it started cutting out. the previous phone (note) i had for approx 6 years. i sold that as i installed a custom rom (lineage?) but was unhappy with the results. my new pixel xl i plan on keeping for at least 4 years.
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Without a Custom ROM, Google Pixel would be the best in terms of software support. Pixel will be supported until 10.2019 for security updates.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705
    • Pixel 2 (2017) phones get Android version updates for at least 3 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store. After 3 years, we can't guarantee more updates
    • Pixel (2016) phones get Android version updates for at least 2 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store. After 2 years, we can't guarantee more updates.
    "Android Eco System" support devices for only 2-3 years, therefore I believe that community developers Android OS support is key to extend device life.

Google Nexus phones have been very developers friendly and well supported by many Custom Roms. Some suggests due to higher price of Pixel phones, community support may not be as widespread

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/19/pixel-pixel-xl-guaranteed-android-version-updates-least-2-years/

Also running cost of handset became ridiculously high, (more than 20 pound per month? ) Custom Rom would be a serious solution for some people.

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,195Posts Today

8,253Users online

Martin's Twitter