Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • waqqas.zia
    • By waqqas.zia 5th Jan 18, 3:23 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    waqqas.zia
    0 WOW
    Worst Night EVER in a Hotel - HELP AND ADVICE NEEDED
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:23 PM
    0 WOW
    Worst Night EVER in a Hotel - HELP AND ADVICE NEEDED 5th Jan 18 at 3:23 PM
    Hello Fellow MSE'ers
    I've just come back from the arguably the worst experience i have ever had in a hotel and am now in a bit of a pickle and need some advice...allow me to explain.

First off the evening...
    I booked a Manor house hotel and requested a specific room (this was the same room that i had booked for our wedding night and as it was our Anniversary, i thought what a great and romantic idea to book the same room).
    3 Times i stated when booking over the phone that i wanted Room 9.
    When I arrived i was told room 9 was unavailable so they gave me a similarly priced room. They were extremely apologetic and gave some complimentary posh water and chocolates to make up for it.
    (The room was nice but lighting was this cool blue light which caused to get a headache so we sat in the dark most of the evening.)
    So onto the night.
    There was Xmas party going on literally under our room so as you can imagine all we could hear the thumping classics from the 70's and 80's. Even with the TV on full volume we could still hear the party (in the morning we realized the room under us was actually the bar). No bother it'll finish at midnight and then we can relax.
    NOT QUITE
    The fire alarm decidedly went off at 3AM
    Then again at 5AM
    and again at 7AM.
    Really ruining our night.

On checkout i spoke with the Duty Manager and she offered me 20% off my bill and a complimentary afternoon tea.
    Which i refused.
    She said she would speak with the Hotel Manager and get back to me.
    Now she's got back to me offering the same thing.

I'm not willing to pay them because they ruined my anniversary, what do i do?
Page 1
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 5th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 2,336 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    Which country was the hotel in?

This is the overseas travel board

So you would have preferred to be burnt to a crisp if there was a fire?
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 5th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • 2,043 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    Read this website's own advice
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/advanced-search.php?q=complain&searchtype=guides

Complain formally with (brief) detail and a clear statement of what recompense you expect; 100% refund? Partial? Free future stay?

Escalate that up to the owner/ CEO if it's a hotel chain (the ceomail website is helpful to identify the head honcho; sometimes doesn't work on Chrome so try another browser)

Don't bother with bad reviews on Tripadvisor; especially if all the other ratings are good! Readers will think you're picky?

All assuming you booked direct and it's a UK hotel? If not, it could be trickier ?
    Last edited by AlexMac; 05-01-2018 at 3:53 PM. Reason: actually Grumplestitltskin's wrong; you'd probably have a better chance of compensation if you had been crisped?
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 6th Jan 18, 12:44 AM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:44 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:44 AM
    Did you complain at the time?

Similar things (ie parties and discos) have happened to us on three occasions in the UK. Each time we have been moved to quieter (and better) rooms.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,242Posts Today

7,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin